IGNORED

Anyone using a pool saltwater chlorinators?

Midrsv

I know this isn't bike related but it't that time of year when I have to open the pool. I just had a new liner installed and I've been reading up on saltwater chlorinating systems. From what I've read they might be better than using traditional chlorine. However, I know nothing about the various brands. Is anyone using saltwater? What brand system do you have and what do you think of it?

Dennis

My neighbor has this and it is always clean. The only problem is that you could never sink in it because it is so boyant. Try swimming along the bottom and it is almost impossible. I have no idea what system he uses.

:farmer:

I have an above ground pool with an Intex salt water system. Love it. Set up pool 3 months ago, turned on system and have not added any chemicals since. Water crystal clear. PH, Chlorine, copper levels perfect. Filter runs 6 hours a day, chlorinator runs 3 hours a day. Saline content is somewhere around .03%

We have a in ground fiberglass pool with a salt water chlorinating system. It has been running for 5 years and in my families opinion it is the only way to go. Easy to maintain and inexpensive to operate, skin feels soft, eyes don't burn, hardly taste any salt. It is a win win.

We have a in ground fiberglass pool with a salt water chlorinating system. It has been running for 5 years and in my families opinion it is the only way to go. Easy to maintain and inexpensive to operate, skin feels soft, eyes don't burn, hardly taste any salt. It is a win win.

Which system do you have? I've been trying to read up on them this evening. Salt water seems like the way to go but I can't find many reviews on different brands.

Dennis

I was very excited to install a salt water system about 5 years ago. The biggest plus is the quality of the water of the skin. Costs for me are about the same. You have an initial outlay to convert to salt that is expensive. For the next few years the costs are not too bad. However, there are parts/components of the system that are expensive to replace. For example my system has a mineral filter that should be replaced every 6 months. the filter is $140.00.

There is another component (electrode) that is $700.00 that gets replaced every 3-5 years. They say they have a lifetime warranty. The catch is you have to change the filter every 6 months. Mine is bad right now. The company customer technical support is outstanding. Here is a link to the system I have.

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.ca/e/DuoClear/index.asp

The other con I have is that I have to seal my beautiful stamped concrete around my pool more frequently because of the salt damage.

If I were you I would contact a few pool service companies in your area and get their opinions.

we have been running the saltwater pool chlorinator for 5 years now and love it.

i used to spend 150 a year in chlorine, now i buy three bags of pool salt 10 bucks a bag and i am good for the season.

the system is automated, i dont check the chemical level as much as i did with chlorine.

my girls love the saltwater, say their skin is solfter and their hair is soft when they get out. with chlorine they would always have a shower after a swim.

cheers, Scott

Switched from liquid chlorine to a chlorine generator approx 4 years ago...one of the THE smartest investments in pool care.

It's a Jandy AquaPure, and is very much automatic...even tells me when it needs salt. Definitely eliminates the need for "pool cleaning clothes"....

Anyone knows if this works for Hot tubs?

From what I've read I believe they do. I think I saw one that was a small unit. A couple of the units would not work if the water temp was over 104 degrees.

Dennis

My chlorinator is disabled when running the spa...because it is connected (spills over) into my pool. That keeps the spa from over-chlorinating when it's in use...

I dont beleive there would be enough water volume in a standalone spa to make a chlorine generator worthwhile?