IGNORED

Buel Blast

Reddog170

Well I have been kinda looking for a bike my wife can learn on. I ran across a 2009 Buel Blast 500. They are asking $2600 for it. I have NO experience with Buel bikes. I also do not know about the pricing, is it worth the asking? It has about 20,000 miles on it and some scuffs and scrapes from normal use and what looks like a light laydown. Any ideas? Thank You, Shaun

I've only ever talked to ONE person who was riding one. It was a lady that was riding with her husband who was on a wing. She told me that she had a VStar at home but decided to ride the Buell that day and that it was the wrong decision. She said that she really hated it. When I asked her why, she complained about everything from vibration to seating position and pretty much everything else. Like I said though, that was just one opinion.

I'd agree with the "ride it before you decide" comment. The Blast was the budget Buell. HD used 'em for their Rider classes to start folks out on but otherwise kinda disowned 'em (as they did the entire Buell line...what a mistake THAT was...). Anyway, it should depend on how you feel on the thing. It is a thumper, so there will be some vibration...

I vote for the 250 Ninja, can find one cheap and they can't be killed. Also a far better running bike that she won't outgrow as fast. The 500 Ninja is still very small and easy to handle. The Buell will ruin your dental work and blur your vision. Not to mention Vespa's can run you down.

Frank

Basically I need a bike with three things 1 low seat height as she is only 5'4" tall. 2 not a lot of power, she has never drove a bike before and the last thing is something that wont scare her right off the bat. My silverwing she said it spooks her as she is tip toe to hold it up, no way I am going to let her try my venture and my seven year old says she is not allowed on his, says she is to big. The Buell that I found the guy that is selling it says "No joy rides" and will let me start it but not ride it. That ,for me, was a deal breaker. If I cant test it out I am not interested.

Now I did find a couple small cruiser style bikes at the Yamaha shop. But a new bike when she probably wont ride it an entire season? This is frustrating. I do not remember finding my first bike to be that hard. Course I have been on bikes sense I was 8. But the Beull is a no go. Will keep looking. Shaun

there are several women riding the 650 vstars in our CMC chapter here. They can all flat foot them and I would think that none of the ladies is over 5ft 4. The vstar is well balanced and the weight is slung low on the bike making it easy to use and learn on. Plus there are a lot of them around so parts are plentiful and prices on a used one should be pretty cheap.

Brian

OK history of Buell. There once was an engineer at Harley who one day decided that he had enough of working for a motorcycle company that made, in his opinion, inferior motorcycles so he started his own company. That man's last name was Buell. The rest is history...

I have found the best beginner bike that you dont out grow too fast to be the Shadow 600. The 4 speed tranny is like it's missing 1st gear which really helps a beginner learn to use a clutch without the fear of popping it and wiping out on starts. Also, you really cant kill the shadow 600 motor, cheap to maintain and looks great.

The down side to the Buell Blast is the one lung configuraton.

At an idle it S H A K E S!!!!

if you dont rev it ups some, it stalls, which in a beginer bike is probally a good thing....

At an idle it S H A K E S!!!!

My wife also is 5'4" never had even been on a motorcycle when I bought my Venture and now wanted to learn to ride at 50 some years old, great bike she can handle it just fine but 1st gear is geared very high makes it harder for a beginner to learn I can tell you this I have killed my Venture ones when I did not shift down at a light the 650 I have driven very few times but have managed to kill the engine more times than I care to remember. One thing to remember lots of people are saying there women are 5'4 or shorter more important is the lenth of here inseam my wife has a 32" inseam at 5' 4"

Good Luck

John