I'm trying to figure out how to fix my ongoing turbulence issues. It really is only a problem on the interstate about about 70mph plus. I have put on the largest Clearview Shield they make (without the curved top), their lowers, Buddy's deflectors, and it still was pretty bad on the interstate. It is like getting hammered on the helmet going down the road. 15 minutes of this and I have a headache. At 60, it is all just fine, but sometimes we just would rather be traveling on the interstate so we can get somewhere faster. Going across South Dakota is one of those types of places.

Anyway, I decided to try to fix this. I have seen on this forum people taking a seat belt cushion and sewing in magnets and sticking along side the tank. I does seem like the turbulence is a result of air coming around the tank. I was hoping for something more permanent and something that doesn't look as bad. So, I took an old pair of Nomad lowers that I had put on my wife's Nomad a few years ago and with cable ties and duct tape, put them on the Royal Star. Out for a ride and it seems quite a bit better. I went in as many directions on a very windy (diagonal winds, 22mph with gusts to 30mph) and I think this might work. So, the next thing is to build my own lowers that would like these, but don't hit the windshield or the lower fairing when the forks are turned.

Here is a picture of my prototype:

http://data.netconx.net/tom/prototypelowers.jpg

I'm hoping that anyone who has done this type of thing before can chime in and let me know the do's and don'ts or any other suggestions as I attempt to do this.

Thanks. I haven't posted a picture here before, so I'm not sure how this will turn out. If it is bad, let me know.

Tom

Like you I worked on several solutions as you found...I figured out the stock windshield height worked best, a vest to ward off the wind hitting my chest and after several helmets I liked the standard 3/4 open face the best w/no sun visor.

I took all the contraptions off my fuel tank to clean it up...I adjust my speed to make riding more enjoyable when it's windy. I couldn't view the picture you posted...I'd like to ride a rsv and see how it compares to the rstd.

Have you considered putting a few vents in the windshield? That could possibly help break the vacuum that is developed from the turbulent air passing over and around the windshield. There are some round vents that are rather easy to install and on the order of ~15 a piece. That might be worth a go.

See Post #5 in this thread http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59011

I have the Clearview xxl wide windshield on my 85 Venture and i notice when i am in a quartering wind I still get buffeting even with the huge improvement the clearview made.

I found that just cracking open the goldwing style vent a wee bit cuts down on the buffeting a ton.

Brian

Have you considered putting a few vents in the windshield? That could possibly help break the vacuum that is developed from the turbulent air passing over and around the windshield. There are some round vents that are rather easy to install and on the order of ~15 a piece. That might be worth a go.

See Post #5 in this thread http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59011

I have (in a box) the large clear view w/vent and now I have the standard 19" w/out the vent and really couldn't tell any noticeable difference. I also had the large clearview cut down to about 16" and still not much difference. I think that yamaha has the wind dynamics about as good as the rstd can be on a calm day. A windy day is another story and maybe all mc's are that way. The one flaw in design is the wind comes over the lower fairing and around the lowers and funnels up along side the fuel tank into the operator creating some buffeting. Curious to see if traditional lowers help.

Edited by jfoster

I have (in a box) the large clear view w/vent and now I have the standard 19" w/out the vent and really couldn't tell any noticeable difference. I also had the large clearview cut down to about 16" and still not much difference. I think that yamaha has the wind dynamics about as good as the rstd can be on a calm day. A windy day is another story and maybe all mc's are that way. The one flaw in design is the wind comes over the lower fairing and around the lowers and funnels up along side the fuel tank into the operator creating some buffeting. Curious to see if traditional lowers help.

I see, too bad :(

I don't have this problem on my RSV :confused24: but thought that maybe it would help...

If you have trouble with wind coming off the lowers, have you given any thought about trying out Buddy Rich's Knee Blockers wind deflectors that attach to the underside of your lowers and direct that lower air away from yoU?

Brian

Here is the thread about em...http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36265&highlight=knee+blockers

If you have trouble with wind coming off the lowers, have you given any thought about trying out Buddy Rich's Knee Blockers wind deflectors that attach to the underside of your lowers and direct that lower air away from yoU?

Brian

Here is the thread about em...http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36265&highlight=knee+blockers

I did and looking at the original post he did to.

Have you considered putting a few vents in the windshield? That could possibly help break the vacuum that is developed from the turbulent air passing over and around the windshield.

You can't see it in that picture, but I have the vent in the shield. Doesn't help any, but thanks for asking.

I was looking at the lowers on my bike and comparing them to the ones I put on my wife's Vstar 1300 Tourer. They were Harley lowers, but seem work very well for her. Here is a pic:

http://www.realhog.com/images/image_10261_300.jpg

They have an edge that turns out at the top, if I can figure out a way to mount them or find a version of these that have a different mount, I might give them a try.

I also went out last night and ran it without any lowers at all in a very bad wind. Not recommended.

Tom

Edited by dusty1300

I had one of the Laminar Lips on an FJR my wife had a few years ago, they worked pretty good, but I don't think the issue is from coming over the top of the shield, but rather from around the tank.

Here is a lower that goes all the way up under the shield. Mine currently has a big gap in there between the shield and the lower (the clearview, not my prototype).

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_29330.jpg

Tom

Edited by dusty1300

Even Yamaha makes a lower with the top lip on it like I was referring to with the harley lowers:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/STR-5BN08-50-00.jpg

I'm thinking this would work like Buddy's deflectors. Just need to get it away from the tank.

Tom

I just found these, kinda interesting. Not cheap, $ 215, but interesting

Hondaline Radiator Side Wind Deflector - Valkyrie IS

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/6101935.jpg

"Mounted on either side of the lower fairing, they will deflect the wind further away from you, creating even more stability and comfort. The fit and finish is all Honda. "

Tom

Hey Tom, I might be able to make a modified set of knee blockers. Mine are designed for RSV's and because of that the lip closes to the tank is short due to the fairing hitting it when turned lock to lock. Send me a pic of the area of your bike between the tank and the handle bars with them turned in all the way. I might be able to make the lip taller and thicker which should help with the airflow up the side of the tank.

Hey Tom, I might be able to make a modified set of knee blockers. Mine are designed for RSV's and because of that the lip closes to the tank is short due to the fairing hitting it when turned lock to lock. Send me a pic of the area of your bike between the tank and the handle bars with them turned in all the way. I might be able to make the lip taller and thicker which should help with the airflow up the side of the tank.

I don't know if the knee blockers can go up far enough to make a difference. Here is a pic at full turn:

http://data.netconx.net/tom/atfullturn.jpg

Take a look and see what you think.

Tom

I was going to put my Clearview lowers back on so I could take a picture for Buddy and thought I'd try reversing the lowers. It hugged up against the windshield much better now and when I went out and tested it, it was better, so I might try them like this for a while. Maybe this is how they were supposed to be mounted in the first place, but I don't think so. Sometimes it is hard to tell when going out for a quick ride, although it was pretty darn windy today.

I also feel like maybe my Clearview shield isn't tall enough also. When I sit in the seat, I'm comfortable while leaning back some. I'm thinking that the wind comes over the top of the shield and fall and hits me in the back of the head. If I lean forward a ways, the turbulence stops completely, then I just have the whine of the engine. Maybe I should have gotten the Cee Bailey's shield, it can be bought 3 inches taller than the Clearview. I may have to examine the laminar lip also, although I don't have the stock shield on anymore and I'm sure theirs is designed for it.

Here are my reversed clearview lowers:

http://data.netconx.net/tom/reversedlowers.jpg

Tom

is it me or does anyone see "Dusty1300" pics?

You don't see any of them? I suppose I'm could be doing something wrong here, that is for sure. I just the image icon, then put in the URL to where they are at, then resize them on the screen. I can view them here anyway. I do see that they are rather large, I should have shrunk them before posting I guess.

Tom

Dusty, how tall are you? You said that you put on Clearview's tallest shield, which is 1.5" taller than stock. I am 5'8". I started with their stock height with the recurve, but could not stand looking thru the recurve (I do see where you don't have the recurve). I now have the one that is 3" shorter than stock (and no recurve), look just over the top of the shield and am very pleased. Traveling 75-85MPH (actual), I do not have any problems. Of course there is nothing that you can do about a strong cross wind. Your big Clearview must really impact your gas mileage.

I'm 5' 10" with a 30 inseam. I don't look over the top now, but that really doesn't bother me, years of driving Goldwings with Tulsa shields. I'd like to see over the top, but I would rather not be beat up on the helmet. It is like someone is hitting my head with a rubber mallet. My teeth shake, my glasses shake, but only on the Interstate. Backroads are just fine for now.

In my experience, I usually have to go higher to get it calmer. I have tried different helmets also.

I was really spoiled with an ST1300 and it's electric shield. This is my first cruiser bike, I don't really mind the slower engine, I like the comfort, but the air control isn't so good so far.

Tom

I tried the laminar lip and it does to some degree work, on a tall shield you have to look thru it and didn't work for me.

The taller cee Bailey may work better, I have their 19" (stock height) and really like it. I still feel air hitting the top of my helmet, and I imagine another 2" I couldn't. The plus side is it's 4" narrower than the cleaview which is a killer on mpg and wind noise.

The only thing I haven't tried was replacing the lowers (other than the ones by clearview). Let us know they work out.

Another update, went out again today, not as windy, but lots of turbulence. I might try tilting my windshield back a little next time if possible and building a set of Plexiglas lowers that are much bigger than my clearview ones.

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Tom