IGNORED

The greatest baseball game I have ever seen.

SMSgt

My wife and I went to Henderson NV to watch our grand son play T ball. I have never had such a fun experience watching any baseball game, in my entire life.

The little kids 4-5 years old were so fun to watch. Some were even shorter than the T ball post. No one struck out and no one walked. There was no score keeping and every player got to bat every inning. But of course there were only 5 or 6 kids per team.

The infield was filled with the players and behind every player was a parent giving encouragement to their little champion to be.

The little Babe Ruth wannabes would stand at home plate the official (from the city parks and recreation) would wind up and place the ball on top of the T the little slugger would give it his all and, most times, hit the T post. The ball would fall to the ground and the whole process would start over again. Once the ball was rocketed into the infield 4 little figures would rush to the ball only to fall on it and then fight over who got there first then all the future leaders of America would stand up and the ball still sitting in its sandy divot. Only for one of the parents to point out that the ball was still resting in the sand and suggest that one of them pick it up and throw it on to the first baseman, who wasn’t sure what it meant to be a first baseman nor what to do with the ball once it was in his possession.

All the while the little slugger either walked, fell, wander or the really experienced veteran would actually run to first base only to meet his little teammate there on first base. With a little encouragement from the on field parent/coach the first player that was on first base would rocket on to second base or the pitcher’s mound maybe on to the big peoples second base which was about 20 feet further out toward center field.

One little player would run from third base back to first base instead of home base. I guess he wanted to keep on running.

Anyway, all in all it was the greatest sporting event I have personally ever witnessed.

Edited by SMSgt

My son is a senior this year, he's been playing since he was 5. Already signed to college ball and just hit his first walk-off grand slam this past Saturday to win the game in the bottom of the 7th.

I told the wife last fall I'm ready to adopt a 5 year old just to go through it again!

And that's when the fight started........ :whistling:

Yep I rememeber my son in T-Ball. He played right field. He be picking dandalions, or swating bees with his glove the 1st year. I come out to watch him and to be an unofficial assistance coach each year. The years go by so soon and it was my sons last year in T-Ball and the league needed 1 more coach. Someone suggested me and so I accepted. Never coached anything before. Guess the first time for everything. It was the last game of the season and we may have won a game or two. This last game we were underdogs again. It was the last inning, the bases were loaded, 2 outs and were down by 3 runs. The young boy coming to bat was our clean up batter. After this batter the line up was not our strength. I can't recall what the count was but I called time out. The batter's name was Pat and so I said to Pat. Pat it really does not matter if you get an base safely. We need 3 runs to tie or 4 to win. So I told him that if he is going to swing, to swing with everything hes got. We really had nothing to loose in trying. Then just run as hard as you can and as you approach each base try to keep an eye on my signals. Most likely I'll wave you on. On the next pitch he hits the ball really hard. It was a line drive that easily got past the in field and eventually reached the back fence. Needless to say, he hit an infield grand slam and easily made it home beating the throw. When we all heard the crack of the bat the entire team jumped of the bench and with their faces pressed against the chain link dug out were all yelling, screaming, jumping up and down. What a way to end the season. It was party time at the Pizza place. This young man Pat, is currently serving in the US Army. Each time Pat gets deployed the family puts a New Bright Yellow Ribbon on their flag pole. There is only one other young man from the team that I have heard of. His name is Blane Larson who was my starting pitcher. If any of you listen to Country Music, you may have heard of him.

T ball is awesome because the kids are playing to have fun. They do not head out with there bat thinking I have to win, we cant loose. The head out with the thought, Yipeee it is my turn!! They do not resent the other team, they are just more kids. As far as I am concerned they embody the real game of baseball. And if you are not playing, stop and watch. It is worth more than what they want for a ticket at Busch Stadium. Shaun