IGNORED

day started out good then?

well i decided it was time to take the scoot out for a ride. nice 70 degree day. i went to the storage place noticed the rear tire was low(expected that) brought along a poratable tank for that job. got the tire up. started the old girl up still needs half a choke? carb snyc due? well after a breif warm up a little sputering off we went. things are going good. 75 mile ride round trip. i thought oh joy joy i got most of the bugs out of this old girl. i put her away in the storage shead got off put my helmet away when the old girl gave me a tearfull green leak on the floor? yep small antifreze leak. have no clue where its comming from?? the leak is dripping on the left side as you sit on the bike. right by the exhaust header or inbetween? i got so much$$ invested in this bike now. i just cant give up on her can I?

i must say in august i might get a second bike and send this one out to a fellow member here who would like to take the time to go through this bike of course i expect to pay for services renderd. so if any one wants to work on it during winter time and if i can get it to you let me know

james aka oldgoat

Well, there are a lot of things that can cause the minor leak! Try to see exactly where it is coming from.

I would suggest a half can of seafoam in the gas tank followed by another nice ride and it will probably run like new again. Anti freeze on the left side is most likely the drain plug...

The anti-freeze drain plug is on the right side (when your on the bike). Between the front exhaust pipes is the thermostat bypass valve and some of us have had leaks there. Take it apart (pull the screw out of the side and be careful that you don't loose the ball and spring) and replace the O rings. The thermostat housing also causes problems, but that's behind the right front exhaust pipe. Take a flashlight and get down and determine what's really leaking.

just cant find that pesky leak it runs down the right side of the frame faceing the bike from the top to the shift lever then down onto the ground? i will try and get some pics to show.. now this drip does not start untill the bike has warmed up for say 4 to 5 minutes and only when i shut the bike off and put it on its side stand? radiator leak in the back? only leaks when under preasure? how hard is it to pull that radiator? i will not put aditives in a motorcycle like stop leak stuff like that. i just dont believe in doing that to a bike.

just cant find that pesky leak it runs down the right side of the frame faceing the bike from the top to the shift lever then down onto the ground? i will try and get some pics to show.. now this drip does not start untill the bike has warmed up for say 4 to 5 minutes and only when i shut the bike off and put it on its side stand? radiator leak in the back? only leaks when under preasure? how hard is it to pull that radiator? i will not put aditives in a motorcycle like stop leak stuff like that. i just dont believe in doing that to a bike.

I would venture a guess its a leaking rubber plug (freeze plug) behind the cylinder side covers. Easy to check, pull side cover and see if wet or green. If rubber plugs need replaced, they just pull straight out-screw spark plug into threaded part, but have new plug ready to avoid to much coolant loss.

James,

Did you find your leak yet?

I have a couple of used but reusable 'freeze plugs'. I replaced them on my bike this winter.

If you want them, I'll send them to you. I already got your address.

Let me know.

Gary

James,

Got your PM.

This is about best picture I can find at this point. Back is causing a bunch of pain.

See the cover at bottom left, It is the one with black stripes on it and rusty looking screw.

Remove screw and under this cover there is a black plug that may be leaking anti freeze.

Gary

i will be pulling the radiator the leak looks like it is somewhere behind the radiator? also dingy i do have a little weeping on the right rear same area as your pic. i dont want to pull that apart with out haveing the plugs and am i going to lose a lot of coolant performing this task? im thinking thermostat houseing leak as it doesnt look like the drain plug might be the bypass valve? just not sure at this point my knees and back are killing me to squat at this point. and running aropund and getting ready to head up to brainerd MN to give my daughter away on her wedding day which is may 20th and i have to be there the 18th time and$$ are a little bit of a problem right now. but with gas prices the way they are the bike will become my get away ride as much as it can. i figure i have towing service and the members list so dont be scared after its fixed ride the pi$$ out of it. time to put some miles on this old girl...

James,

I sent you my used 4 water jacket plugs. This is not something hard to change, so if these used ones leak, you aren't out much in the way of labor.

Tracking # 9101128882300686633027 usps.com Sent to the Water St address, hope you haven't moved.

I would only change the leaking one(s). Leave well enough alone on the others since these are used plugs.

First picture shows location of cover plate and retaining screw. There is one of these on each cylinder. Use an impact driver with a very large Phillips bit to temove screw. They do tend to be tight.

Behind cover will look like picture #2. Plug is not in place in this picture. It goes in the large lower hole. Use a spark plug with the end cap removed, it will thread into the old plug and allow it to be pulled out. Radiator fluid will start running out, but not all of it. Do this on center stand and you will be OK, just will need to top radiator off. To get radiator cap to come loose, I think you have to loosen chrome cover on side. There is a tab on radiator cap that engages one of the covers, don't remember which one. My bike isn't back together to that point to check.

Gary

thanks gary sorry i didnt see this right away.

sure can use the parts. i dont have the radiator out yet thats tomorrows job weather permitting.. going to shine a more powerfull light on the area. i need to pull the side covers off and the lowers to clean up the engine some. a little grime here and there. before i go to install that plug. you say a sparkplug will screw in there than just pull on the plug and it should pop out? ok now to install just push in the new one useing the plug as a tool also? thanks james

aka oldgoat