I am having a couple issues with my bike that I would like some input on. The first is a "popping" sound when the bike is cold, sounds like a bad exhaust gasket but only last for the first few minutes when I start it then goes away. Second is a small backfire through the carbs when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and on up but almost never from 1st to second. Third bad fork seals from factory? My new fork seals seem to be leaking already with less than 100 miles on them. And lastly are the turn signals. They are weird, blink 3 times then a pause then blink 3 times then pause and so on, any ideas?

This is quite a list but any help would be rather appreciated. My wife found an 87 for $1000 but I refuse to give up on this old scoot. Shaun

I am having a couple issues with my bike that I would like some input on. The first is a "popping" sound when the bike is cold, sounds like a bad exhaust gasket but only last for the first few minutes when I start it then goes away. Second is a small backfire through the carbs when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and on up but almost never from 1st to second. Third bad fork seals from factory? My new fork seals seem to be leaking already with less than 100 miles on them. And lastly are the turn signals. They are weird, blink 3 times then a pause then blink 3 times then pause and so on, any ideas?

This is quite a list but any help would be rather appreciated. My wife found an 87 for $1000 but I refuse to give up on this old scoot. Shaun

I get a slight exhaust pop from a bad exhaust gasket on the left side when mine is cold but it disappears as soon as the engine is good and warm so for now ill leave it be. Some of the gaskets are easy to change out and others arent so easy.

I dont know why you would be getting a pop on one shift and not another.

Brian

Most backfires that I've had to deal with are caused by an exhaust leak---Oxygen can enter the exhaust when the throttle is closed and then kaboom...

As for your fork seals leaking. Do you mean both sides?? When you take the forks apart again, check the fork tubes for nicks. Some use a section of ladies nylons and drag them around the tubes and see if they snag anywhere. Smooth the nicked area with 400 grit emory paper.

I got tired of changing Yamaha seals, and tried automotive seals. The set that is in there now have been there about three years, I can get the number when I get home at around 0500 am if you like.

frank

Yep both sides. Being as it is the first time I have replaced fork seals I may have done something wrong.

As far as the popping I am hearing I found that if I shift a little sooner it does not do it. I just find it a little annoying. This old scoot is a lot of fun, I just know it can be even better. Shaun

I got tired of changing Yamaha seals, and tried automotive seals. The set that is in there now have been there about three years, I can get the number when I get home at around 0500 am if you like.

frank

I would love the number...I can't keep seals from leaking...thanks

ken:lightbulb:

The exhaust clamps at the rear headers are good about leaking. It is a clamp that can be tightened pretty easy with side covers off. Has a allen head screw. If they don't want to tighten up you can pull them off and grind the ears down on them so they will close more.