IGNORED

Another one for the Saturn Gurus

wes0778

It seems that some of the Saturns are plagued with horn button failure. It sticks closed, thus the horn blows continuiously. Well I am lucky enough to have bought a 2003 Vue with this malady. The problem is that the horn "button" is part of the $700.00 air bag. As you can guess I ain't gonna replace the airbag. I have found a schematic that shows a black and a black/white wire on the dash side of the steering column, which I wish to intercept. That way I can put a $2.50 "Rat-Shack" push button on the dash.

Well I have cut in to the red wire in the airbag, which when grounded makes the horn blow. My problem is that I have checked EVERY wire under the steering column cover between the clock spring and the dash. NONE is common to the red wire in the air bag.

as a temporary fix I have wired the switch to the red wire in the air bag and left it hanging out from under the air bag cover.

Pray tell, do any of you know where the #28 wire is to be found going down the steering column?

Do a check on google for 'Saturn air bag removal'. Had to do my daughter's yesterday, not as difficult as it might seem, there's a good video there.

Also, the way I understand it, the horn button is a real problem, so is mostly replaced the way you want to do it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vMNiM_m-Ls]YouTube - Air Bag Removal[/ame]

From the way that wiring diagram looks, be careful how you wire in the new horn button or you might have a ringing in your ears and still need a new airbag.

OH YEAH!!! :cool10: ALL the testing was with the battery unhooked!!! :yikes:

The wire you are looking for will be BLACK. You can grab it in the column or you can go to

@ BCM, PIN B2, PINK 24-PIN PLUG

THE BCM (Body Control Module) IS IN THE CENTER OF THE DASH BEHIND THE POCKET.

There are note on our company website that add

"The horn wire is located in a harness entering into the center console next to a heater duct"

"Left of steering column in solid loom"

Hope that helps and do be careful in there

Frank

Funny thing is...in my job the horn wire is always the biggest pain to find and then afterwords you are always like damn why didn't I see that sooner!

:)

Frank

Frank, Thanks!!!

That's the funny thing!!! I have used my Ohm meter and cannot find a wire, on the steering column, that is common to the red, pig tail, wire under the airbag cover. There is a black wire and a black/white wire on a flat plug on top of the steering column, but that black wire is not connected to the red wire. In fact it is common to ground. I know the red wire leads to the horn relay, because I've got a push button "rigged" to it (hanging out from under the air bag cover) so I can put the horn fuse back in, which turns out the Service(wrench) light.

Ok weekend project exploring the BCM.

Walter