IGNORED

Do you rip and sync?

Mel

No, I don't mean working on carbs. I recently came into possession of a (used) MP3 player. Now, I still like vinyl and 8 tracks. This little trinket had a bunch of music in it, about 140 songs, none of which was to my liking. I discovered that I could plug it in to a USB port and figured out how to delete the stuff that was on it.

I have now "ripped" two of my CD's onto the computer and I'm gradually learning to "sync" them onto the MP3 player. This may not seem like much to many of you, I know there are some of you to whom this kind of technology is like second nature. But when I can play "my" music on the GL1800 using a little gadget not much bigger than my thumb, I figure I've made a giant leap towards entering the 21st century. No cassette player or CD player.

What I don't know is, do I have to carry a supply of AAA batteries to power this thing, or is there some way of running it on the power from the bike?

It depends. Some mp3 players you can charge from the usb port hookup. if so, you can buy a car adapter that has the type on miniusb port your mp3 player has and charge it or power it from the accessory port on the bike. Hubby added one of these on his bike partially for that reason. It would help if you included the brand of mp3 player you have.

You can find an fm modulator at your local radio shack or audio video store.

you plug your mp3 player to this gadget and it sends signals to your radio via an open fm station.

Heres a tip fo you.

if you add a switch between your ant line you can disconnect your radio ant allowing better pick up of the fm modulator.

When you are ready to listen to the radio again hit the switch and youll close the ant line allowing the ant to work again.

This thing is a (probably old) G TEC 1 GB , and it has MP3/WMA/REC written on it. When I plug it into the USB port the display lights up and I can do things with it using the computer to control it. Seems like one GIG is enough capacity for a lot of songs. At $.99 a download I think you could spend a small fortune filling this thing!

On the bike, (2007 GL 1800) there is a lead cord in the left side fairing pocket that plugs right in to it where the cord for the ear buttons goes, and plays the music through the audio system. I have not experimented with it a lot yet, seems like I have to plug it in, turn it on (running on battery?), put the audio system on AUX, and I've got tunes!

Maybe a GW guru can chime in and expound the virtues of this system.

• 2 years later...
you should be able to download your own music to it. Find all your CD's you want then find a kid to down load everything on the player. cheaper than paying .99 for each song.

Oops! This is a 2 year old thread! I think he may have this worked out by now!

Andy