IGNORED

Experiences with this GPS RAM Mount ?

bamico

I'm looking at this to mount my Magellan Roadmate 3045-MU to my RSV.

http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RAM-B-149Z-PD2&click=21

Was thinking the standard length (3") would be enough.

Wasn't sure if 1) it would mount to the bars with enough clearance for movement and/or

2) once mounted if I could swivel the unit enough on the mount so that I could see it properly.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Bob

http://www.mountguys.com/v/vspfiles/photos/RAM-B-149Z-PD2-2.jpg

First, I love RAM Mounts and have several.

A real bonus is that you can buy suction or screw bases separately and mount them in the car ... Two for the price of one and a bit.

I mount the phone on the bars and it's just fine. With the GPS I found that bar mounting brought it too close to me. I had to look away from the road and re-focus on the GPS screen.

In the end I moved it to the fairing just in front of the windshield. Perfect.

Mine is a Garmin, but I don't suppose there is much difference.

I have a ram mount setup for my Garmin GPS so I cannot specifically comment on the one you are asking about but I can provide some additional information that may help you make an informed decision.

I hardly ever use the GPS mounted to my handlebars, however, the few times I have used it I was nothing less than impressed. I have the 3" arm with mine and have found several orientations that allow me to have full movement of the bars and not compromise any visibility of the radio, speedometer or the road. With the GPS mounted and attached properly, the mount is rock solid and I am plenty confident that it won't be moving anywhere. Several hours of riding with it on and the mount didn't vibrate loose or move at all. I still had the GPS tethered to the handlebars as a fail-safe, but do feel that was unnecessary.

I did find that it took me some time to find a location for the ball mount that would allow me to position the GPS in a place that would be out of the way but still visible while driving. I don't care what kind of unit you have, there WILL be an orientation that will make the display impossible to see based on the relative position of the unit and the sun.

I do not seem to have a good shot of mine mounted, if you would like I could get one some time tomorrow.

Summary: The 'ram mount' setup is high quality and I wouldn't hesitate to go for another one if I ever have a need. YES, they are a bit pricey (mine was a gift, so it wasn't pricey to me) BUT considering what it is holding, I'd rather pay a premium for quality than have to replace a GPS...

Answering the question: FOR ME the 3" arm is long enough to provide a variety of mounting locations that yield decent viewing without obstructing handlebar movement or visibility of indicators, speedometer or the radio.

Twigg,

Thank you for your thoughts.

How did you mount the GPS to the fairing?

Are you using the suction cup mount?

I actually tried the suction cup mount that came with the GPS, and it worked surprisingly well.

I am however concerned that with the vibration of riding, it would inevitably loosen up and let go on me.

Bob

First, I love RAM Mounts and have several.

A real bonus is that you can buy suction or screw bases separately and mount them in the car ... Two for the price of one and a bit.

I mount the phone on the bars and it's just fine. With the GPS I found that bar mounting brought it too close to me. I had to look away from the road and re-focus on the GPS screen.

In the end I moved it to the fairing just in front of the windshield. Perfect.

Mine is a Garmin, but I don't suppose there is much difference.

i use the ram mount for my garmin 265wt....i needed the extension, and very happy with it....... .....also, i initially tried the suction cup mount on the windshield.......no matter how tight and secure you think it is , or feels ....it will ,when you least expect it, come loose..........believe me, it is very hard riding down central boulevard ( rt 66) in albuequerque, 2 up, holding your gps , and trying to pull over...

i use the ram mount for my garmin 265wt....i needed the extension, and very happy with it....... .....also, i initially tried the suction cup mount on the windshield.......no matter how tight and secure you think it is , or feels ....it will ,when you least expect it, come loose..........believe me, it is very hard riding down central boulevard ( rt 66) in albuequerque, 2 up, holding your gps , and trying to pull over...

I have experienced the same thing with my car windshield mount. My Garmin windshield suction cup mount will just "drop off" every once in a while. I just couldn't ever see using a windshield mount on a clattering motorcycle windshield. I went with the RAM system for the handlebars. Love it. No issues.

Thomas

I have the RAM mount that goes on the clutch (or brake) reservoir. On the Venture, the Garmin 330 sits nicely over the radio. It seems to me there is a limited amount of handlebar real estate on the Venture, so this works well.

Before I had the RAM, I used the suction cup on the tank (of my ST1100). On one occasion, I hit a huge pot-hole coming out of a corner. The GPS flew off the bike and onto the road. The suction cup and bracket remained in place. When I told Garmin that the GPS came out of the holder, they replaced it!

(Replacing the rear wheel was on my dime!)

I have used that type mount for a Lowrance 500C and for a Garmin 765 (with appropriate adapters). The Lowrance 500C is a very heavy GPS. I only had a problem one time with the Lowrance and it was because I had used the mount so much the weight caused the clip to break. If I had to start all over with getting a GPS mount, I would get the same item I have now.

Whatever you use, don't trust any kind of suction cup. It will fail! The type you originally posted will work just fine. The pics below is what I use when I use the GPS. Most of the time I don't use it unless I'm riding in unfamiliar territory. I placed mine up as high as I could so that I don't have to look down to see the display and it doen't block the instrument panel. Good luck!!

Whatever you use, don't trust any kind of suction cup. It will fail! The type you originally posted will work just fine. The pics below is what I use when I use the GPS. Most of the time I don't use it unless I'm riding in unfamiliar territory. I placed mine up as high as I could so that I don't have to look down to see the display and it doen't block the instrument panel. Good luck!!

Basically the same set up as I used except I didn't like that funky U-bolt clamp. Yep, gotta agree.... there ain't no such thing as a 'sticky' cup.... :)

:cody

Basically the same set up as I used except I didn't like that funky U-bolt clamp. Yep, gotta agree.... there ain't no such thing as a 'sticky' cup.... :)

:cody

Yep, it does look funky! I like yours better. Did you make that or purchase it somewhere??

Yep, it does look funky! I like yours better. Did you make that or purchase it somewhere??

I picked it up off Ebay. It wasn't cheap.... 'bout $40.00 bucks. The seller makes them himself one-on-one. Here's a listing [ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-GPS-Mount-Zumo-Ram-base-1-/190526042242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5c3cb082]190526042242[/ame] Hope the link works, but if not, that's the number...

Part number: RAM-B-346U. http://www.ram-mount.com/products/motorcycles.htm

Note that the bracket they provide to hold the GPS does not include the electrical connection. I swapped the connection between the car mount and the RAM mount... until I broke off the connection. Now I use a USB connection to the accessory socket on both the bike and the car. It works almost the same, except on my GPS, I have to manually turn it on, but it keeps the battery charged!

One caution, make sure you use the longest screws possible, or they can shake out. Mine also came with spacers between the top reservoir cover and the RAM Mount. I removed them without issue.

I used the mount on my ST1100, and it was a simple swap to the Venture.

Edited by Panjandrum