IGNORED

RSV much worse in crosswinds than 1st Gen?

I am also very curious about this.

I have never ridden a second gen in the wind so maby I shouldn't say anything but here is my:2cents:.

When I rode street bikes I had to compensate for cross winds. I always did this kinda subconsciously. When I first rode the VR in the wind it was every where. I found that not compensating for wind made all the difference. The wing reacts like my first gen.

As an experiment last fall, 60Km/h side wind, there is a 1/2 Km section of road that is well treed up wind and then the trees end. I set the cruise leaned into the back rest (so I would know if I was shifting weight) let go of the bars and waited for the wind. the result: The bike leaned itself into the wind and did not give up any road. It did start a very slow crawl into the wind witch required leaning to the right to maintain a line.

Am I on to something or just blowing smoke?

I am also very curious about this.

I have never ridden a second gen in the wind so maby I shouldn't say anything but here is my:2cents:.

When I rode street bikes I had to compensate for cross winds. I always did this kinda subconsciously. When I first rode the VR in the wind it was every where. I found that not compensating for wind made all the difference. The wing reacts like my first gen.

As an experiment last fall, 60Km/h side wind, there is a 1/2 Km section of road that is well treed up wind and then the trees end. I set the cruise leaned into the back rest (so I would know if I was shifting weight) let go of the bars and waited for the wind. the result: The bike leaned itself into the wind and did not give up any road. It did start a very slow crawl into the wind witch required leaning to the right to maintain a line.

Am I on to something or just blowing smoke?

Maybe?? No not smoke... :) The wheels act as gyro's and will resist force at a 90 deg angle from the force. If you hold a gyro and try to swing it back and forth it will try to go left or right. Try it sometime... So perhaps the wheels are resisting the side force and making the bike speed up or slow down a bit?? But only at a 90 deg force. If the wind is a little forward or back of 90 degs it might cause the bike to lean into the wind.... I think?? :) :confused07:

I actually find the opposite, the 1st gen has a narrower front tire and there isn't as much meat on the road. We came back last year from Thom's MD in Rockport TX and we were in some serious 30+ mph wind. Lonna and I were on an '89 and the rest were on G2's and they didn't get beat up nearly as bad as we did.

I remember that day , the wind was so bad that kept blowing my glasses off , could not ride very far had to turn around .

when i 1st got my 1st gen , the 1st thing i hated about it was the buffing and cross winds . so i cut the wind shield down 2 in. made worst ! i hated to follow suvs and when i got above 65 mph with just a little bit of wind the bike was all over the place so i cut it down another 3 in , made worst ! had to lean into the wind more and wearing helmet was very bad kept blowing my glasses off . I bought a oversize windshield install a vent , Wow dif. bike ! my speed comfort zone picked up 15 mph , can now pass big trucks . went riding today , great ride until i slowed down below 45 mph and we are in a wind advisory today .

I would like to know what other members think ?

Thom

I rode across Kansas at what felt like a 45 degree angle because of a wind storm blowing 90 degrees off from my direction of travel. The large solid surface presented by the First Gen made it terrible in cross winds. Passing through semi blast was not a problem, since the fairing is frame mounted.

My Second Gen is not anywhere near as bad in actual crosswinds as my First Gen was. Passing through semi blast is much worse on the Second Gen, doubtless due to the fork mounted fairing.

For issues of general handling I prefer to raise the rear with leveling links rather than run the narrower tire. Both help handling, but the links don't suffer from wander and following rain grooves like the narrow tire does.

:2cents: