IGNORED

Year to Date MC Sales

Bobby G

So how are the various OEM's doing sales wise this year, you ask? Here's a 2011 vs. 2010 comparison in unit retail sales for the first quarter. Suzuki is seeing a substantial gain over last year now that they are shipping product again, but HD still leads overall in unit sales. Pretty interesting numbers nonetheless.....

Yes, that is a very interesting read. Considering the way some of you guys keep talking about Yamaha not listening to customer needs/wants, I guess it's not real surprising that Yamaha has had a drop in sales. But then I have to take into account that we're only 1/4 of the way through the 2011 year, so I'm sure those figures will/could change drastically by the end of the year. Now am I safe to assume that those figures reflect the entire 2010 year and only 3 months into 2011? So then the figures show that seeing as how we're only 3 months into 2011, most manufactures are already showing sales in excess of the entire 2010 model year?

Now some more statistics I would be interested in are how the ratio of motorcycles to motorcycle accidents have changed over the years. We keep hearing about how the number of motorcycle accidents has increased over the years, but we don't hear about how many more cycles are on the road. Hypothetically speaking, say in 1980 2% of the 100,000 motorcycles sold were in some sort of accident, and in 2010 1% of the 1,000,000 sold were involved in similar accidents. All we hear is that in 1980 there were 2,000 motorcycle accidents and in 2010, there were 10,000. So then we see a 500% increase in motorcycle accidents from 1980-2010, but in reality the ratio of motorcycle accidents to motorcycle sales has fallen 50% from 1980-2010. But we never hear that part.

Bill

Interesting read. Surprised to see Kawasaki out performing Honda so far... And I was always under the impression that Honda was #1 and Yamaha came in at #2. :confused07:

Looks like Honda is definitely slipping in the MC market share department. At the end of '09, their overall MC market share was 24%. Now it's barely 18%.

Yamaha had a huge jump in on road bike sales over 25%. So where did Honda make its growth in scooters!! Well there you go folks. Looks like Honda conered the Scooter Market while Yamaha was building MOTORCYCLES. Thats what I'm talking about. Yamaha did take a beating in the off road market.

:rotf:

Interesting that Yamaha dropped over 40% in off road sales but gained 26% in on highway sales. Makes you wonder who's idea it was to deplete the Star line-up.

Mike

Edited by MikeWa
adjust %

Looking around this weekend in my town which is fairly popular for people around Chicago to take a ride though "the weekend warriors". I gotta say Im tired of looking at Harleys. Everybody riding the same bike. I sure would like to see different products come out of Harley. I gotta say I didnt like the Victory Vision at first but it has grown on me. Its different. It would be nice to see a change in motorcycle design. Just my two cents.