IGNORED

Harbor Freight Lift

Midrsv

Has anyone tried the Harbor Frieght air/hydraulic bike lift? Here's the link to their web site.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94121

I've got some interest in one but was wondering if it is sturdy enough for a 2nd gen. Also wondering if it is low enough for my Tahoe to pass over it in the garage. I guess I can go measure that.

DT

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the HB manual foot pump hydraulic lift table . Had my 2nd Gen and my cow on it many a time to say it's sturdy enough . Even had a 1st Gen on it too .

As far as the Tahoe , yea you better measure . I'll measure how high it it and post later tonight .

BEER30

Has anyone tried the Harbor Frieght air/hydraulic bike lift? Here's the link to their web site.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94121

I've got some interest in one but was wondering if it is sturdy enough for a 2nd gen. Also wondering if it is low enough for my Tahoe to pass over it in the garage. I guess I can go measure that.

DT

the harbor freight lift is hard to come by.nice lift on sale for $379.00,but every one i checked with is out of them.i even went to the main store in oklahoma city and they were out.i looked for the air lift on it and did'nt see anything that resembled it.may be a misrepresentation.i bought one yesterday at cummins tool.not quite as nice but is rated at the same 1000 lbs.really wanted the one from harbor freight but just could'nt find one.has anyone noticed that everything made in china has a unique odor.makes me wonder.when we had our tack shop all mexican saddles had a weird odor.we heard they used human urine to tan their leather.true story.bill :depressed: :)

I have the same Lift as Beer 30 has. Similiar to the Harbour Freight, but only manual Lifting.

I've got a '97 GMC Sierra 4x4 Pickup with standard Wheel and Tires. There is enough Room to park the Truck over the Lift.

I think the Tahoe isn't much different. You should check the Clearance of the front Stopper on the Lift while carefully driving over the Lift.

Guest KitCarson

Any engineers out there......want to make a million? I have looked at just about every platform lift made.......it is not the price of the lifts usually, but the shipping to get one is a killer!! Also if you wish to pull the rear wheel, or service the drive, or change the rear end, any of these things, you have to use an additional method to support the rear of the frame.......so far I have not seen a lift with something like a built in cross bar that would raise up and support the rear of the bike for this kind of work. All it would take is an cross bar, some angle iron, some brackets, a heavy pin, and a small hydraulic piston, what is the drawback? Why has this not been done? Could even be designed to lay flat.......fold into the lift when not needed.......Am I looking at this all wrong or do I need to build something like this and sell it as a retrofit?

Any engineers out there......want to make a million? I have looked at just about every platform lift made.......it is not the price of the lifts usually, but the shipping to get one is a killer!! Also if you wish to pull the rear wheel, or service the drive, or change the rear end, any of these things, you have to use an additional method to support the rear of the frame.......so far I have not seen a lift with something like a built in cross bar that would raise up and support the rear of the bike for this kind of work. All it would take is an cross bar, some angle iron, some brackets, a heavy pin, and a small hydraulic piston, what is the drawback? Why has this not been done? Could even be designed to lay flat.......fold into the lift when not needed.......Am I looking at this all wrong or do I need to build something like this and sell it as a retrofit?

Kit , they make a scissor jack that sits under the scoot to raise the rear end up . I'm going to the bone yard , fetch up a scissor jack and weld some plates on the bottom of it to stabilize and a yoke to fit under the scoot's frame . And yes , they do make them that is either air or hydraulic .

I picked up my lift while coming back from Vogal , as I trailered to SleeperHawk's house . Got it at the SC/NC border store , but we have a HF store nearby now . I've seen some lifts that came with free shipping as well .

But fer ya cheap skates , punch a hole up in the garage ceiling , wrap a chain around the rafters and use a come-a-long to lift your scoot off the floor .

BEER30

Guest KitCarson
Kit , they make a scissor jack that sits under the scoot to raise the rear end up . I'm going to the bone yard , fetch up a scissor jack and weld some plates on the bottom of it to stabilize and a yoke to fit under the scoot's frame . And yes , they do make them that is either air or hydraulic .

I picked up my lift while coming back from Vogal , as I trailered to SleeperHawk's house . Got it at the SC/NC border store , but we have a HF store nearby now . I've seen some lifts that came with free shipping as well .

BEER30

Hi Gene.....yes they make a lot of small jacks to fit under and raise the frame.......just do not make this accessory that is built into the lifts.

But what you are doing......for the one particular model of bike...and maybe for the 1st gen.....you can weld a section of angle iron on the scissor jack and pin or bolt it for a semi permanent installation.......could even cut a hole in the platform and put it on a hinge to fold out of the way while running the bike up on the lift...have angle iron plates that move out and sit on the lift, might have to put a runner around the opening.....that is what I was hinting about, have never seen one with the rear jack built in. Could easily be done, couple heavy pins used as slide bars.......jack folds down out of the way...slides to adjust.............was just wondering why this has never been done. It is simple to use an scissor jack or similar something.......and I do believe in KISS....keep it simple stupid!! Figured for sure with all the gadgets we have now.......surely........

We have a Harbor Freight store in Columbia now also.......but they do not stock the lift......you can order it through the store or the HF web site.....but still even if you order it at the store, they want shipping.......

I will not need one till Spring in any event......will most likely run to atlanta and buy one there.........shipping so far is tough......$200 to $275 just for shipping depending on brand and distance.

Guest KitCarson
Something similar is what I have in mind.....yes......this one is specific to that style bike? Looks great for that use......but I cannot read that language, I never even made it out of high school......let alone.......speaking FRench:rotfl::stirthepot::stirthepot:Kit

Sorry Kit, this is a german Wholesale ... no english available

No, this Lift is not Bike specific. The Platform carries 500kg, the lifter Arms 350 kg.

You can move the Bike while completly lifted in the Air from one End of the Platform to the other End. Remote Electrical Hydraulics and so on ...

The Price ... well, ten Times more than a standard Platform Lift .... :confused24::confused24::sick::sick::sick:

But fer ya cheap skates , punch a hole up in the garage ceiling , wrap a chain around the rafters and use a come-a-long to lift your scoot off the floor .

BEER30

gene! that isn't being a "cheapskate", that is called being "

flexible enough to cope".

i don't like the come a long , though. i have a small electric hoist!

works just fine!

lol

just jt

Sorry Kit, this is a german Wholesale ... no english available

No, this Lift is not Bike specific. The Platform carries 500kg, the lifter Arms 350 kg.

You can move the Bike while completly lifted in the Air from one End of the Platform to the other End. Remote Electrical Hydraulics and so on ...

The Price ... well, ten Times more than a standard Platform Lift .... :confused24::confused24::sick::sick::sick:

500 kg = 1100 lbs.

350 kg - 770 lbs.

Us unwashed Americans don't do those metric system weights very well.

RR

I checked out many lift before I made a purchase a couple of years ago.I knew someone that purchased the Harbor Frieght lift and it did not seem to be as sturdy looking and the picture's showed. It was rated for 1000lb and the metal deck to me needed some extra angled brackets under it for strength.I saved up and bought this lift and love it.http://http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Motorcycle-Lifts-s/2.htm They have updated it and you can now have the back end come complety off for rear tire removal and final drive inspection.

I checked the Tahoe and I've got at least 8 inches of clearance so it shouldn't be a problem.

I checked out the Greg Smith Equipment site and their lifts look pretty nice. I also found this quote on their site interesting:

"Manufactured in a 100% American owned offshore factory.

Sold by a 100% American owned distributor that has been in the lift business for 27 years.

Enough said."

Their lifts are made in China just like the HF lifts.

DT

the harbor freight lift is hard to come by.nice lift on sale for $379.00,but every one i checked with is out of them.

I saw one at my local HF store not long ago. It looked interesting but I just don't have the room. Also, I prefer to just put my bike up on the stand designed and made by our own Carbon One.

Guest KitCarson
I saw one at my local HF store not long ago. It looked interesting but I just don't have the room. Also, I prefer to just put my bike up on the stand designed and made by our own Carbon One.
I also have made that decision. I have looked at lift after lift, and began to wonder , why do they not design a means into the lift to raise and support the rear of the bike when removal of the rear tire is required? Yes they make many small jacks to do this task........just seems to be a lot of extra work and expense. Now if I was a motorcycle mechanic and was running one bike in, one out all day long, yes the table top lift might be an advantage due to height. Thing is I have a pit bull jack........it raises up to 30 inches in height, yes it is somewhat expensive, but built well, has stabilizer feet and a swivel so you can turn the bike. I have also contacted Larry and this coming week will order an adapter from him for this new venture. with a good stable jack, I really do fail to see the advantage of a table top, and anything made by Harbor Freight, keep one eye half shut all the time, the lift might be a good start, but you will have to brace it, work on the wheel chock, run some extra angle iron under the bed, stuff from harbor freight, northern tool.........I simply have never been impressed with any of it......I have bought plastic storage bins for my trucks from them, seems they cannot mess them up!!:bighug:

hey kit, neat idea .only problem is you have to lift these royal stars about 2 feet to get the tire out.scary enough when it's on the floor.:cool10::2133:

Guest KitCarson
hey kit, neat idea .only problem is you have to lift these royal stars about 2 feet to get the tire out.scary enough when it's on the floor.:cool10::2133:
Good Murnin...........well..........that is what the removable panel is on some lifts at the rear tire.......still you have to purchase an extra small jack to support the rear.........I may simply build one one day.......thing is I simply do not have time.......easier to go buy one. So I have simply decided to use Larry"s adapter and my Pit bull jack......for now. I know for sure I am not going to mess with that pit bull jack and try to put it under the rear.......on the platform......have already about smashed one finger off with it..(actually it is still attached, just felt like not!!)......another lesson learned:rotfl::rotfl:Kit

Guest KitCarson
Here ya go Kit ! Mighty pricey $2799.00, but see a lot of potential .

http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-MC/SPML12

BEER30

You are just too funny!! :sign20: This one does not even have a full floor!! Must be an oil change only lift. Some car engineer designed this one. Me thinks so far the best one is a Black Widow........the front chock is good, the way the rear slides out to remove the rear tire is good.......the way the support bars fold and have auto locks at each level is good, there is room in the middle to install dual hydraulic pistons and weld brackets under for a heavy pin hinge......Hey all of you........not knocking your lifts....I am just always inquisitive........do at times love to make things, used to have time to do this.....now............would be nice to have a platform lift to do it all......in say an economical range of $500.00 someone has most likely already done this.....we have just not found it yet.