I am going to replace the glass fuses with the ATC blade type set-up on my '84. With all the writeups here, I think I can tackle the issue. My question is, What about the top (towards the front of the bike) connection. I understand that this is called a fusable link. Can I hook this to a fuse and if so, what size should I use? It is finally getting warm enough here to work in an unheated garage and I would like to get the bike ready to ride.

Thanks,

Dave

If you are talking about the clear plastic block that runs from the the battery, that is the main fuse. It is actually not much more than a metal blade. I did mine by simply cutting out the plastic block and replacing it with a MAX fuse holder and a 30 amp MAX blade fuse.

Simple to do, not expensive at all. About $5.00 for the holder and $3.00 for the fuse. And a lot easier to change than the OEM fuse. And the fuses are easier to find.

Got mine at NAPA

Mike

That's the next step Mike. I did get the fuse block replaced tonight and the bike runs. Horray?@?!!?!?!?!??

This was my questionable area, outlined in red where the two screws are with no fuse between them. I put a 30 amp fuse in there. I did start the bike and it did not blow. Do you know if this is too much?

What is the size wire on the Max Fuse? I will be getting one in the very near future.

Thanks,

Dave

That's the next step Mike. I did get the fuse block replaced tonight and the bike runs. Horray?@?!!?!?!?!??

This was my questionable area, outlined in red where the two screws are with no fuse between them. I put a 30 amp fuse in there. I did start the bike and it did not blow. Do you know if this is too much?

What is the size wire on the Max Fuse? I will be getting one in the very near future.

Thanks,

Dave

That is interesting that the fuse did not blow. These two terminals are the positive & negative ACCY terminals. They should remain separate.

10 gauge wire on the main fuse.

Gary

Those 2 screws are what the factory gave you for adding accessories.

The right one is positive and the left is ground.

If you connected a 30A fuse across there, you probably blew the 10A Accessory fuse that protects that point.

Or are you saying that you changed the fuse right below those 2 screws to a 30A. the fuse right below those 2 screws is the accessory fuse.

Dang, I typed to slow again...:bang head:

Edited by Flyinfool

:sign yeah that:

He's got it.

If ya go to NAPA the part# for the Maxi fuse is 7822101. They will be hanging in fuse section. Don't forget a spare!!

The part# for the Maxi holder is 784674. These are not on the fuse rack at all. I found them hanging on the spinner rack with the wire and butt connectors. When I had asked the parts guy for a Maxi fuse holder they tried to sell me a fuse block the size of my hand for $20.00. Check the rack. LOL!

Mike