Ok, another question from a potential new member. This one is about a trunk rack for my 2007 RSV. I would like to get one for an upcoming trip, but since times are rough and money is an issue, which one would you recommend? I'm also a tad nervous about the installation, as drilling into my trunk lid sounds like something that I could screw up in a hurry. Your thoughts?

I personally only recommend the factory Yamaha rack. I think it looks best, but more importantly, the long plates that fit between the front and back mounting points are important for structural integrity of the trunk lid.

You will find plenty of people who are happy with the Goldwing rack and have used it without cracking, but you can also find owners who wish they had never tried it. If you cannot find the stock Yamaha rack now, or just want to go with something else, make sure you use large fender washers BOTH inside and outside the lid at each hole to reduce the stress and chance of cracking (and they need to be slightly dished to match the contour of the trunk lid - if they are just flat, they will increases the stress).

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

make sure you use large fender washers BOTH inside and outside the lid at each hole to reduce the stress and chance of cracking (and they need to be slightly dished to match the contour of the trunk lid - if they are just flat, they will increases the stress).

Goose

An alterniative is to put softer type rubber washers under the fender washers if you don´t find dished ones.

I personally only recommend the factory Yamaha rack. I think it looks best, but more importantly, the long plates that fit between the front and back mounting points are important for structural integrity of the trunk lid.

You will find plenty of people who are happy with the Goldwing rack and have used it without cracking, but you can also find owners who wish they had never tried it. If you cannot find the stock Yamaha rack now, or just want to go with something else, make sure you use large fender washers BOTH inside and outside the lid at each hole to reduce the stress and chance of cracking (and they need to be slightly dished to match the contour of the trunk lid - if they are just flat, they will increases the stress).

Goose

As you might have guessed by my questions, I am not what you would call handy with tools, so I still have questions about installing this myself. What are "fender washers" and what is a "dished" fender washer? And how hard is it to measure the holes that have to be drilled - I would hate to mess that up?

Also, I saw a trunk rack at JC Whitney that fits my price range and was wondering if anyone has that one on their bike?

Thanks for your patience!

I've seen several reports here about people installing the JC Whitney racks and I've also seen several reports where they started rushing really quickly. I wouldn't recommend it. Remember, once you drill the holes for that JC Whitney rack and then it is rusty a year later and you decide you want to install the Yamaha rack, those existing holes are going to be in the wrong place.

I understand anybody wanting to save some money but I personally would hold off and not install one at all until I had the funds to install a good one. This is one item that I think it is better to do without than to go cheap.

Don is right on the spot with this, I bought a rack from Wingstuff, it is now a pile of rust, and I keep the bike inside. I saved some dollars by getting it from them, but it will cost me $100.00 to have it rechromed...save for the Yamaha Rack and get a good one first time around.

K

I've seen several reports here about people installing the JC Whitney racks and I've also seen several reports where they started rushing really quickly. I wouldn't recommend it. Remember, once you drill the holes for that JC Whitney rack and then it is rusty a year later and you decide you want to install the Yamaha rack, those existing holes are going to be in the wrong place.

I understand anybody wanting to save some money but I personally would hold off and not install one at all until I had the funds to install a good one. This is one item that I think it is better to do without than to go cheap.

I've installed a few Yamaha luggage racks and it's a relatively simple job. I like to use a tailors measuring tape to locate it squarely on the trunk lid. Also use masking tape to protect the paint and make your marks for drilling. Make the final hole size just a little bigger than the bolts so you have a little fudge room and don't forget to chamfer the holes on both sides to help prevent cracking. Use a very small drill bit (1/16") to start a pilot hole in the center of your mark and then work up to your final hole size. Put a little blue loctite on the bolts and don't over torque them.

I've installed a few Yamaha luggage racks and it's a relatively simple job. I like to use a tailors measuring tape to locate it squarely on the trunk lid. Also use masking tape to protect the paint and make your marks for drilling. Make the final hole size just a little bigger than the bolts so you have a little fudge room and don't forget to chamfer the holes on both sides to help prevent cracking. Use a very small drill bit (1/16") to start a pilot hole in the center of your mark and then work up to your final hole size. Put a little blue loctite on the bolts and don't over torque them.

Hi Gary, Thanks for the tip about chamfering the holes. Would you explain exactly what you mean? I've got a rack to install and want to be sure I do it right! Is that live beveling the edges of the holes, or is there a special tool?

Thanks!

James

No no no! NEVER use Loctite near ABS plastic.

Goose

Here is a link for you. Just use the rubber washers along with the fender type washers. Some people run a strap in the inside of the lid also between the front and rear bolts. Quite simple task. Masking tape and set it in place, mark with felt tip, drill in middle and make sure you check the placement after every hole is drilled, as in One at a time!

http://www.goldwingcountry.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=0&Category_ID=0&manufacturer_ID=66&product_ID=5761&sblid_name=Show_Chrome_Accessories__Big_Bike_Parts__Luggage_Rack

cham·fer (chhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/abreve.gifmhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.giffhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifr)

tr.v. cham·fered, cham·fer·ing, cham·fers 1. To cut off the edge or corner of; bevel.:thumbsup2:

Hi Gary, Thanks for the tip about chamfering the holes. Would you explain exactly what you mean? I've got a rack to install and want to be sure I do it right! Is that live beveling the edges of the holes, or is there a special tool?

Thanks!

James

Well there is a special tool but all you need to do is take a larger diameter drill bit (about 5/16 or 3/8) and just turn it in the hole by hand to take the edge off.

The acronym ABS is the key word here.

No loctite. It melts ABS!

No excessive weight on (4) points, better to have it spread out over (2) 7 x 1 inch areas.

So, I'd stick with the Yamaha rack.

Even then I'd watch how much weight you put on it as that trunk and lid is expensive... believe me you do not want to have to replace it...

Edited by CaptainJoe

Loctite Threadlockers and many plastics lead to very sad owners. With ABS plastics it slowly disintegrates the plastic which begins to crack, then crumble.

Never EVER apply Loctite directly to plastic, and I strongly recommend you NEVER use it on any fastener that even passes through plastic and into a metal part. It is just not worth the potential grief.

We report this information in various threads here every year, but inevitably we see sad stories from some people who just do not get the message.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
spelling

I bought the jc whitney rack when I bought my bike in 2005. I like the rack and haven't had any problems except it does rust around the joints where it was welded. I may have it rechromed someday. If I had it to do over again I would get the yamaha rack.

Even then I'd watch how much weight you put on it as that trunk and lid is expensive... believe me you do not want to have to replace it...

On my Alaska trip I carried a bag on the luggage rack that weighed a good 20+ lbs. with no issues. And believe me when I tell you that the roads up there are rough and if there was ever going to be a problem it would have happened on that trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Yamaha rack and really like it. Holding up well, no rust, bike is a 2007. If you go that route, Bestem makes a bag for it that fits very well (the were the OEM provider for the Yamaha offering). Plus, they're 1/2 the price of the Yamaha branded bag. Well worth the $ IMO, so that you're not playing around with bungy cords and a duffle bag.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

James

lol .... Don't use loctite :)

Nyloc nuts are good though.

Yes there is a special tool for chamfering the holes ... It is called a drill bit .... Use one a few sizes bigger than the hole and just touch the hole you drilled ... It will angle the edges.

You can buy chamfering bits, but for plastic they are overkill.

i had the jc whitney rack....didn't take too long for it to begin rusting.........so i got the yamaha rack, plus buying a new lid......lesson learned.......but if you go whitney, i did use fender washers and rubber washers from local harware store....