I just picked up my venture not too long ago and am still in the process of getting my motorcycle license and have been doing some work on the bike since I got it. Got a couple of problems that I can't figure out though. The gas guage only works when the bike is near completely full or near empty but nowhere in between, anybody have any ideas why? Also the light on the computer always says the kickstand is down even when it isn't. If I actually put the kickstand down while it is in gear it will run horrible so it is obviously getting the signal so I don't know why the light doesn't go off. The guy that had it before me said they changed the actual sensor that is attached to the kickstand so I don't think it is that but I can't be sure. Once again, if anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. I am new and you have made me feel very welcome and I greatly appreciate it, the tech articles have helped me alot so far, and it feels good to be part of such a tight knit group. Thanks again

Brian

A couple things come to mind, cracked solder joints on the cms, where the wiring harness plugs into it (info in 1st gen tech library). Another possibility is the fuel guage sending unit contacts. I would start with the cms first, before the fuel sending unit.

The gas gauge is a resitive wire, wrapped around a non conductor. As the level gets to full or empty, the wiper is picking up the extreme votages... you can ohm the two terminals on the sender unit (under the seat) and see if it reads :

FULL 30 Ohms or less

HALF 150-180 Ohms

EMPTY 300 Ohms or greater.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/gas-gauge.jpg

The side stand going down should put a ground on the side stand relay coil, closing the contacts putting ground (through the relay) to pin "D" (ignition inhibit) on your TCI, killing the ignition. Sounds like dirty contacts on the relay.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/tci/tciplugs.jpg

As far as the sidestand being down, the bike should not run at all with the sidestand down and the bike in gear. That in itself tells me that you have some kind if a connection issue in that circuit.

Many times, a fuel level problem is the connection in the gas tank and just taking off the terminal and crimping it a little tighter and cleaning the terminal will fix it. But if your's is a consistent problem, it probably is the float mechanism.

RandyA

Kick stand problem is probobly the kickstand switch. 3 wires, center common, end wires should read infinity or zero with switch engaged or disingaged. If it is reading some small value instead of zero, like 8 ohms 0r 14 ohms or??? then replace the switch. New ones are about $40 give or take. In this instance I do NOT recommend another used switch as it too may cause problems down the road. Been there, done that, didn't buy the tee shirt.

The fuel sensor can be tightened up as far as the tension against the resistor element. It's kind of tricky to do but you will see a phillips head screw that adjusts the tension and position. Just look at it and figure it out...

The gas gauge is a resitive wire, wrapped around a non conductor. As the level gets to full or empty, the wiper is picking up the extreme votages... you can ohm the two terminals on the sender unit (under the seat) and see if it reads :

FULL 30 Ohms or less

HALF 150-180 Ohms

EMPTY 300 Ohms or greater.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/gas-gauge.jpg

The side stand going down should put a ground on the side stand relay coil, closing the contacts putting ground (through the relay) to pin "D" (ignition inhibit) on your TCI, killing the ignition. Sounds like dirty contacts on the relay.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/tci/tciplugs.jpg

Where is that relay located at so I can check it?

Where is that relay located at so I can check it?

Behind the headlight.

This relay is the odd ball one in the Venture. This relay has a Normally Closed contact in it. When the coil has power to it, there is no continuity through the contact. Therefore it can not be swapped out with another relay in the bike to check.

Wiring diagrams are at link below.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42358

Gary

A couple things come to mind, cracked solder joints on the cms, where the wiring harness plugs into it (info in 1st gen tech library). Another possibility is the fuel guage sending unit contacts. I would start with the cms first, before the fuel sending unit.

I have seen one tech article that shows me to solder a couple of spots to fix it, but when I opened mine up it was not set up the same in the back, are there different things for different bikes or something?

Yah! The '83 was a different configuration, but the idea is the same, resolder all the connections on the input plug as the solder is over 25 years old and deteriorated...

Thanks Bob, I haven't the time to get back to this. Been bouncing around BC the last 2 days, back into Victoria tonight.