IGNORED

Cruise problem with 89 VR

I ha d Earl work on my 89 VR over the winter and one of the things I had him change was the switch and clutch lever because the cruise would cut off when I went over a bump in the road. Well, to make a long story short, I went for a ride today and the cruise doesn't work. When I turn the switch on, both the power light and the resume light come on and stay on. I cannot set the cruise. Also, the bike would not start with the bike in gear and the clutch handle in. I had to put the bike in Neutral to start it. I took the switch apart on the clutch handle and cleaned it and lubed it with dielectric grease and it now starts with the bike in gear and clutch in, but the resume light and power light are still on and the cruise does not work.

The cruise worked, before I had the clutch handle changed, but would go off when the clutch handle was wiggled. So, I am not sure what to look for. I assume that I have a bad connection somewhere and will have to take the fairing off to look at the wiring.

Is there a difference in the switches on the clutch handle, between years, as I had Earl change the switch that I bought off fleabay and now wonder if there is a difference in the switches.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestiions would be appreciated.

Jim

From what I have encountered, the switches are the same if they came from a cruise equipped bike. Cruise equiped bikes have two sets of contacts in these switches. Non cruise only have one set.

I would doubt Earl did any rewiring to put switch in. The end connectors are different from cruise to non-cruise models.

There is a difference from the throttle side to the clutch side as far as color codes, but they appear to be wired the same. Not sure about actual cable ends, would seem logical that they be different.

Gary

It's been a while since I've had a first gen but I did have some troubles with the cruise on the 89 I had. I believe I swapped the hand brake switch for the clutch switch. As I recall the linage wears on the clutch side and lets the switch lose contact. And I think the switches are the same.

At any rate I fixed the cruise without buying any parts but the old brain is turning to granite.

Wish I could remember more, sorry.

BOO

Jim

Try riding with the clutch lever held fully out with your fingers & if the cruise works, you may have some air in the clutch slave cylinder. I found this with my 86 last summer.

It's unclear from your post if the resume light turns on when you power the cruise up or when you press the "SET/DECEL" button.

When you power the unit up all the lights should come on. Then SET and RESUME lights should turn off after a few seconds. If the RESUME light is staying on at power up there is probably a fault in the controller.

If the unit powers up normally and the RESUME light comes on immediately when you press the "SET/DECEL" button then you probably have a problem with the clutch or brake switch (or connections to them). All those switches will disengage the cruise and turn on the RESUME light.

I ha d Earl work on my 89 VR over the winter and one of the things I had him change was the switch and clutch lever because the cruise would cut off when I went over a bump in the road. Well, to make a long story short, I went for a ride today and the cruise doesn't work. When I turn the switch on, both the power light and the resume light come on and stay on. I cannot set the cruise. Also, the bike would not start with the bike in gear and the clutch handle in. I had to put the bike in Neutral to start it. I took the switch apart on the clutch handle and cleaned it and lubed it with dielectric grease and it now starts with the bike in gear and clutch in, but the resume light and power light are still on and the cruise does not work.

The cruise worked, before I had the clutch handle changed, but would go off when the clutch handle was wiggled. So, I am not sure what to look for. I assume that I have a bad connection somewhere and will have to take the fairing off to look at the wiring.

Is there a difference in the switches on the clutch handle, between years, as I had Earl change the switch that I bought off fleabay and now wonder if there is a difference in the switches.

Jim

Have this same problem very frustrating