Well I have spent most of the night working on the old bike. I have repaired wires that have been mouse chewed, lubed the speedo cable, flushed the coolant system, have the radiator ready for the shop to pressure test it and make any repairs it may need, have searched for any signs of leaks, pulled the tci out and cleaned it have it ready to reinstall above the battery/air-box. All the connectors have been separated and cleaned then greased with dialectic grease and reassembled.

I do not know if I am missing anything or not, actually sure I am, but this was superposed to be a quick fix bike. Like that ever happens. If anyone can think of other common areas that I need to check out before I reassemble thoughts and ideas would be welcome. I will also say that the $12 I spend for this sight has been the best money spent to date. Thank You, Shaun

Yah!! Methinks you did just about all of the free stuff to do for now!! You may want to consider replacing your headlight with a brighter one like a silverstar or Nighthawk. You may also want to remove the dash and resolder the edge connector for the CMU as the joints are old and vibration can also cause them to fail.

How is your plans for adding Cruise?? You will want a harness from a VR to do this, but then everything is pretty much plug and play. The parts from '83 to '85 will just bolt on.

Another inexpensive mod to do now is carefully remove the rubber Bezel from the headlight cover and clean it really good and use alcohol to remove all the oils from the rubber and then paint it gloss white using a paint designed for use on rubber. This will make a night and day difference on how bright your headlight is, and it is a lot cheaper than switching everything over to a MK2 headlight setup.

Last but not least, contact Skydoc17 about the replacement fuse block mod. Change over from those nasty glass fuses that cause all sorts of intermittant problems to the modern plug in fuses!!

My mom is going to be doing the resoldiring and replacing the diodes, as that is what she does for a living. I do have a 12 slot spade fuse style fuse block for it, just need to get it in. Lots to to, with the main problem being that riding season is here. Shaun

You lubed the cable but did you lube the speedo & tach? Hard to get lube in them. Best way is turn them upside down if you have gone this far. Both of these are famous for going dry. Tach will slow donw til its useless. Speedo will destroy itself.Use a good light oil that will stay there.

Suggest dont be in hurry to put plastic back on.

After all other work done, fire it up and ride naked-just to make sure everything works, and to bother the neighbors:whistling:

After sure no problems then dress it up.