i stored my bike for the winter and it worked just fine.....tokk of the attery and stored it indoors.....didnt work when i put it back on....so i buy a new 1....fully charged and it still dont work.....not even getting a click from starter......just the 2 red lights go out when i try to start.....can any1 help me plz

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

According to your profile, you have a 2008 RSV.

When you say the bike doesn't start, does it not turn over when you hit the start button, or does it turn over but will not run?

Things to check, make sure the kill switch is the run position, make sure the neutral light is on, you also may want to pull in the clutch lever just to make sure, though that's not required.

I would remove the left passenger floorboard and black plastic cover to access the starter relay and check for voltage on both terminals while the starter button is pressed.

Yeah, that. Are your headlights coming on when you turn the key on? If they are, your starter relay should click when you press the start button. If the headlights are not coming on, I would clean all connections. You may want to try a jump start. New batteries don't have to be good. As per other comments I have read on this site, DON'T leave the car running while you jump start. I don't remember the reason why, but it sounded like good advice at the time.

Starter relay can be bad. There is also a pink connector under the gas tank that is apparently famous for going bad. There are some writeups on this site about it.

Hope this helps. I just went through a 10 month old battery conking out on me and I checked all these things out only to find my battery that was showing 13 volts was kaput.

If you can tell them exactly what is happening, there are a lot of people on this site can tell you what is wrong.

Good luck.

By the way, if you own an RSV you can't spend a better 12 bucks for supporting membership.

Edited by rowdy7
Addition

i stored my bike for the winter and it worked just fine.....tokk of the attery and stored it indoors.....didnt work when i put it back on....so i buy a new 1....fully charged and it still dont work.....not even getting a click from starter......just the 2 red lights go out when i try to start.....can any1 help me plz

Need a bit more clarity here - you say the "2 red lights go OUT . . ." - When you hit the starter button, the oil and engine temp red lights should come ON. So you need to be a bit more specific with us about what dash lights are on when the key is turned on, and what ones are on when you push the starter button.

But make sure your bike is in neutral if it is on the side stand. If it is not, the two red lights will come on as they are supposed to when you hit the starter button, but it won't do anything else.

If the kill switch is on, then you will only see the temp light when you hit the starter button.

Goose

ok got it wrong sry.....when i press the starter button the 2 red lights come on but no click at the starter

If you hope we can help you without actually seeing your bike, you need to provide all the information we ask for.

What lights are on BEFORE you hit the starter button?

Then when you hit the starter button, are the oil and temp lights the ONLY lights on?

Goose

Trying to help here, but not getting anywhere. I'll ask one more time ...

Specifically, what lights are on when you turn the key on and BEFORE you touch the starter?

After you hit the starter button, you have said the oil and temp lights come on, but you have not told us if any other lights are also on while the butten is pressed.

I am not trying to be a PIA about this - the answers to these questions are important to have real chance of pinpointing your problem without being able to see the bike myself. If you can provide the information, I might be able to help. If not, well, there is nothing more I can do. Maybe somebody else can guess better than I can.

Goose

OK, that is normal operation. If the check engine light goes off after about 2 seconds and stays off, then the self diagnostics are not seeing any problem. Since the neutral light is staying on, that eliminates the side stand interlock as being a possible problem.

At this point, the new information about the alarm system seems to be the prime suspect (since this bike did not come with one). Many alarm systems also have an engine or starter cutout, so that is what I would suspect. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to know anything about that alarm system, or what problems might have been caused by whoever installed it. I'd suggest you are going to need to find someone who can troubleshoot your bike in person.

Goose

Still thinking on this - most alarm systems that have a cutout feature to disable the vehicle also have a switch to bypass the cutout so you are not left stranded if the alarm malfunctions or your alarm remote is lost. So look closely under the seat, behind the seat, inside the fairing, and around the back of the fairing for a switch - that may get you going again.

Goose

1 more thing....the bike has an alarm on it.......it was going of in the garage and was on all day and it died out .....might have something to do with it

I bet the problem is in the alarm. Take the thing off, no one steals Ventures.:rotf:

Sounds like the alarm might of run the battery down to the point where the lights come on but there is not enough juice to crank it. When you turn on the ignition does the headlight come on? Is it weak? I too have had trouble with new batteries being no good. Had one where the top had been put on backwards so reversed the polarity, + was negative and - was positive.