IGNORED

Need some info quick...Progressive Springs

elmicko

Hey, need some help pretty quick. I've searched, but I can't find a thread that has instructions or pics on the install procedure for replacing the front fork springs with Progressives on a 2nd Gen. I need to know how far to break the bike down and pics of the process. Does anyone know of a link or tech article? Like I've said, I tried a few searches and got nada. I really appreciate the help.

You'll have to remove at the front fairing. From there, you just loosen the pinch bolts on the upper tree and remove the caps off the top of the forks. Please remember to have the bike supported by a jack before you remove the caps. You can then pull out the old springs and drop in the new without loosing very much oil, just what is clinging to the spring.

Personally, I would remove the forks, disassemble them, replace the seals and bushings, and replace the oil with at least a 10wt oil, the factory oil is only 5.

I went to Sonic 1.2's last spring (no pun intended) and used a combination of the tech manual you can find where to DL on here and a Clymer manual. I also used Rick Butler's post here http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19608&highlight=sonic+springs

as I used the same springs. A great improvement. I got thru it pretty easily. I also upped the oil weight as previously suggested.

An important note is to make sure you have each leg of the forks at the same height in the triple tree. I did this by measuring from the top of the lower tree to the line created by where the fork and cap meet.

Here's a couple of pics of what you might expect to be into.

Best of luck and remember there's always help here.:)

Edited by jer878

• 1 year later...

I just did mine. Removing the fairing is the biggest pain. The forks are pretty simple. you really should us a impact wrench to remove the drain bolt. I stripped the head on one trying to do it with just an allen wrench. Had to pound a over sized SAE alllen wrench into the head then used the impact wrench on it. came right out. Change everything while you have them opened up. Next time I won't completly remove the fairing, easyier to just hang it with a strap from a rafter,or hook. This way you don't have to remove all the wiring. much easyier to reinstall.