IGNORED

electric Dryer connector

Mikealiasmike

Actually now that I have glasses on the maytags colors are 2 Blues then a lone white and then a black and yellow

Don't take my word for this but ....

Sounds like your old one was a three wire 24V, and the new one is wired for 4-wire.

The blues will be hot, the white Return and the 4th wire should be a ground.

You need an electrician to confirm that .... I'm just saying what it is you probably have.

was this a 3 or 4 wire plug? Your old one a 3 wire, new one a 4 wire??? If you HAD a 3 wire connector and your new dryer requires a 4 Wire connector you should know in the US the wiring code does not allow the 4 wire to be converted to 3 wire.

Edited by royalstar09

Nope, both 3 post, just more wires going to them

Just making sure the new dryer plug only has 3 spades. If it had 4 spades you would need to do some serious rewiring in your home. Just being honest here I have never seen or heard of 4 wires and 3 prongs.

Actually this dryer is a used model and has 3 connectors. Going by this link I did it correctly. I believe the extra wires on dryer are for all the bells and whistles it has and theres plenty. What bothers me is my old dryer (if you can call a 3 year old dryer old) had the timer go out on it. Simple fix right? Actually fairly straight forward, it's just the part is 115.00 :mad: Who wouldve thought a simple part like that would cost as much as a third of a new dryer? Anywho, I picked up this gem for 70.00 used and delivered for 25.00. All's good in mikes world now :big-grin-emoticon:

The 2 blues are Hot the White is Nutural and the yellow / Black is Ground all though most of the time the Ground is Yellow / Green that's colors they us in Europe and Japan the hot are usualy Black but there is no set color except Green and Yellow / Green those 2 will always be earth ground connected to the frame.

Actually this dryer is a used model and has 3 connectors. Going by this link I did it correctly. I believe the extra wires on dryer are for all the bells and whistles it has and theres plenty. What bothers me is my old dryer (if you can call a 3 year old dryer old) had the timer go out on it. Simple fix right? Actually fairly straight forward, it's just the part is 115.00 :mad: Who wouldve thought a simple part like that would cost as much as a third of a new dryer? Anywho, I picked up this gem for 70.00 used and delivered for 25.00. All's good in mikes world now :big-grin-emoticon:

The MAYTAG was wired with 4 wires. The 4th was the safety ground. If you wired it back 3 wire and at the very least did not install a "bonding strap" then you have a potential hazard. Though by Code this is NOT allowed at the very least understand it is a safety issue and you definetly should install a bonding strap. I am not trying to beat a dead horse but Id hate to know the potential is there for you or you wife or kids to get lit up and didnt say anything. It is simple really. If the MAYTAG had more then 3 wires in the cord when you bought it then it was wired for a 4 wire plug. Referance the picture below.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dd09b3127ccefcecaefcc8c500000030O08AZtmjJo0aOAe3nws/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

What you are being told here is this:

In a four wire system the metal parts of the appliance have their own, dedicated, ground. When it is converted to a three wire system, the way the case is grounded is by bonding it to the return .... a rubbish practise that should never have been allowed!

Anyway .... If it's converted to three wire WITHOUT that bonding strap there is a problem.

In the event that the appliance develops and electrical fault causing a live wire to touch a metal part, the whole appliance will be "hot" with no path to ground ..... Until someone touches it!

what you are being told here is this:

In a four wire system the metal parts of the appliance have their own, dedicated, ground. When it is converted to a three wire system, the way the case is grounded is by bonding it to the return .... A rubbish practise that should never have been allowed!

Anyway .... If it's converted to three wire without that bonding strap there is a problem.

In the event that the appliance develops and electrical fault causing a live wire to touch a metal part, the whole appliance will be "hot" with no path to ground ..... Until someone touches it!

bingo !!!!!!!!!!!

I've been told that the newer washers and especially a dryers electronics will not function properly if they are not grounded properly...

All the 220 wiring i've put in houses and mobile homes have a (Black and a Red = HOT), (Neutral = White), (unsheathed copper wire = Ground).

I believe they went form 3 wire to 4 wire to seperate the neutral from the ground to reduce the shock shazard... Provides aonther ground

Its like this: say one of your hot wires comes loose and touches the frame of your dryer

,or, your dryer shorts out... a three wire, unless equipted with a grounding strap to the frame, won't kick the breaker out. The fourth, ground wire is connected directly to the frame and is safer and more importantly, independant, of the neutral.