IGNORED

ST1300 vs Venture

jnappier

I have a 2005 Honda St1300. I have put 12k miles on her and she is a great bike but not as comfy on longer trips as my wife and I wish. We are thinking about switching to the Venture for long trip comfort. So I am looking for your experience and advice. Has anyone made this or similar switch? What is the comfortable top freeway speed? Wind buffeting?

Comfortable top freeway speed....anywhere from 50mph up to 85mph. Other's may feel comfortable going faster than that, but for me that is my normal freeway speeds. And it is not unusual for me to do 80mph from stop to stop (ie. Interstate 40 I ride alot).

A more direct replacement is the Royal Star Tour Deluxe, essentially a Venture in cruiser trim. It is exceedingly comfortable, with the same smooth engine and long wheelbase. I'm not sure how much you plan on riding per day, but my wife doesn't mind 500+ mile days.

You do lose out on the trunk, if you count that as a loss, and the queen seat, which is debatable. On the other hand, you get a huge windscreen that keeps you dry even if you ride all day in the rain. Plus, the RSTD is faster and prettier. :happy65:

She does get a little "sail-sy" at 100+mph, but 80mph cruising hasn't really resulted in buffeting.

Dave

I have a 2003 Kawasaki Concours (Sport Tour) and a Royal Star Tour Deluxe. The wife does not like the Connie nearly as much as the Tour Deluxe, and the cruise control is a MUST on long trips! Now, when I purchased the Tour Deluxe in 2006, I did not have a wife, so if I had, I am sure that I would have gone Venture! I really wish I had a trunk / fairing on the RSTD, and I added an aftermarket (J&M) CB/Intercom. :080402gudl_prv:

I have a 2005 Honda St1300. I have put 12k miles on her and she is a great bike but not as comfy on longer trips as my wife and I wish. We are thinking about switching to the Venture for long trip comfort. So I am looking for your experience and advice. Has anyone made this or similar switch? What is the comfortable top freeway speed? Wind buffeting?

I went from a 2006 ST1300 to my Royal Star Venture and have no regrets. I rode my ST1300 for approximately 20000 Kms and enjoyed it, however my wife never really warmed up to it, as we had a Valkyrie Interstate prior to the ST. She felt much more secure and comfortable. Personally for me, the ST is a refined, almost "appliance like" like in character. The powerband is so linear, and the engine so smooth, with the "outboard from hell engine exhaust note", the best way I could describe it is efficient. The Venture has a more old school hot rod feel to it, that more in tune with how I feel a motorcycle should feel. I have to say that even with a stock seat, it's the most comfortable motorcycle I've ever been on, Wings included. Pump the suspension up, put on a set of E-3's or Avons, and it has decent handling characteristics and good clearance before dragging bits in the twisties. Hope that helps, Ron:080402gudl_prv: P.S. the cruise works up to about 80 MPH, and it cruises fine at that.

Edited by Jactana
Addition

I ask about the freeway speed because I found every bike I've had except sport bikes has a comfy speed, some slower some faster. This is for the bike and for me as well. For example my v-rod will go way faster than I want to go but 70 is about all the wind I can handle with a mediun windshield. I had an older Concours and it got very smooth and quiet between 80-90. I love the ST1300 looks and power but after 150-200 miles I'm ready to get off.

I rode my 2000 ST1100A for three years, some of it two up, and sometimes on lengthy camping trips (both 2-up and solo). I loved the bike, especially in the twisties.

When I was looking for a new bike, my primary concern was for passenger comfort, and I plumped for the Venture (2008).

The Venture is super comfortable for long distance rides. I no longer have to stop every hour or so. Passenger comfort and ease of mounting and dismounting is leaps aheead of the ST. It does not handle the same way in the twisties, but as I ride with a Club of mostly cruisers, it is not a big issue. I can still push the Venture as hard as nerve and skill permits, have lots of fun doing it, and still leave others behind.

Absolutely no regrets about the Venture purchase, and it is subject to many "Nice bike" comments from passers-by!

PS. The 2000 ST1100A is still for sale at a great price ($3,650). Anyone interested?:fingers-crossed-emo

Never been on any of those "style" of bikes. I can tell you though, that the RSV is comfortable at any posted highway speed and above. Mine seems to like it best around 120-130 km/h however any speed below or above is no problem. I've ran mine for several kilometers on the "slab" at 160-170 km/h no problem at all.

As for rider/passenger comfort, I don't think you can beat it. Several published comparisons attest to that. Handling wise, it's pretty decent for a bike of it's size, especially with non-stock tires such as Avon's and a change to the levelling links which improve overall handling, especially low speed "parking lot" stuff.

Power wise, it ain't no slouch either ... just remember it's a V4, not a V-twin .... torque is not there at low rpm's like a V-twin.

I ask about the freeway speed because I found every bike I've had except sport bikes has a comfy speed, some slower some faster. This is for the bike and for me as well. For example my v-rod will go way faster than I want to go but 70 is about all the wind I can handle with a mediun windshield. I had an older Concours and it got very smooth and quiet between 80-90. I love the ST1300 looks and power but after 150-200 miles I'm ready to get off.

If you get up around Many La your welcome to ride my rstd. I haven't rode a rsv to know the difference in wind protection between the two, I'd like to test ride the ST!

A more direct replacement is the Royal Star Tour Deluxe, essentially a Venture in cruiser trim. It is exceedingly comfortable, with the same smooth engine and long wheelbase. I'm not sure how much you plan on riding per day, but my wife doesn't mind 500+ mile days.

You do lose out on the trunk, if you count that as a loss, and the queen seat, which is debatable. On the other hand, you get a huge windscreen that keeps you dry even if you ride all day in the rain. Plus, the RSTD is faster and prettier. :happy65:

She does get a little "sail-sy" at 100+mph, but 80mph cruising hasn't really resulted in buffeting.

Dave

You must have a much bigger windsheid than mine becuse every time I get caught in the rain I'm soaked even with a rain suit. and been soaked many times

I went from a 2006 ST1300 to my Royal Star Venture and have no regrets. I rode my ST1300 for approximately 20000 Kms and enjoyed it, however my wife never really warmed up to it, as we had a Valkyrie Interstate prior to the ST. She felt much more secure and comfortable. Personally for me, the ST is a refined, almost "appliance like" like in character. The powerband is so linear, and the engine so smooth, with the "outboard from hell engine exhaust note", the best way I could describe it is efficient. The Venture has a more old school hot rod feel to it, that more in tune with how I feel a motorcycle should feel. I have to say that even with a stock seat, it's the most comfortable motorcycle I've ever been on, Wings included. Pump the suspension up, put on a set of E-3's or Avons, and it has decent handling characteristics and good clearance before dragging bits in the twisties. Hope that helps, Ron:080402gudl_prv: P.S. the cruise works up to about 80 MPH, and it cruises fine at that.

Did you have a top box or just a backrest for the wife on the ST? What speed is the Venture happiest (on the freeway)? The seat is comfy but what about 75 mph? I wear a full helmet, some bikes direct air under it and is most annoying, does the Venture? Thanks

the Venture will be MUCH more comfortable, especially two up, than the sport tourer...completely different type of machine. I really enjoyed mine on the highway, missed the sport tourer feel in the twisties. It's all about what YOU are most comfortable with and YOUR style of riding. Then Venture is a GREAT bike, question is, are you and it a match? Only you can say. Try one if you get a chance. I can almost guarantee the wife will like it a LOT more than the ST...

You must have a much bigger windsheid than mine becuse every time I get caught in the rain I'm soaked even with a rain suit. and been soaked many times

I have to agree with DaveZipcode on this one - I have ridden in some NASTY storms and the only way I get wet is if I stop or from the road spray up from other traffic. My clearview did keep me a bit dryer but the OEM shield I have now does a fine job too. A significant coss-wind with the heavy rain and of course you get wet, but that is bound to happen regardless of what you are on or behind. I suppose different 'people' shapes and sizes may have something to do with it as well.

What speed is the Venture happiest (on the freeway)? The seat is comfy but what about 75 mph? I wear a full helmet, some bikes direct air under it and is most annoying, does the Venture? Thanks

I've cruised all day at 55 and also long times at 80+. It did just fine in that range. Staying out of 5th until 70mph or higher certainly makes a difference too. I think my favorite cruising speed on the bike is a hair under 70 but the bike is quite smooth through that entire range.

I cannot really comment on how the air flows around a full face helmet but I can say that I wear a 3/4 helmet, sometimes with a face shield and with or without the face-shield I hardly ever have wind on my face unless I have my vent open. We do have quite a few folks on here that prefer the full face helmets and surely they will comment soon.

:Venture:

Johnny N.,

Buy a used Venture for journeys,,, and then maybe you can keep the Honda too for your daily commute.

That's kind what I did. We enjoy 2 up on the Venture and I ride my RSTD daily to work and solo.

And 80 sustained is quite comfortable on a good interstate.

Mike G in SC