IGNORED

How's this for a kick in the a**?

a1bummer

:buttkick:I posted a few weeks ago about a guy backing out off a parking space and hitting me. There is over $3000 dollars worth of damage to my bike, and my right leg got beat up a bit. My leg still has some bruising, and a lump that is still tender to the tough. This happened on 10/31/07. They offered me $750 for the banged up leg, and I agreed to that. Now I got this in the mail yesterday. I may not be the smartest guy in the world, but this is very insulting. Do all of you read this the same way I do? If I sign this and send it back. They will give me $750 for the whole deal and no more. Not just for the banged up leg, but for the damage to my bike as well? I somehow get the feeling they think I'm really dumb.:rotf:

http://webpages.charter.net/theskes/Ridiculous%20offer%20from%20Bristol%20West%20Insurance.BMP

Sorry, but I cant read it when it come open... its real small and no way for me to enlarge it enough to read it.

Go with your gut feeling..if you feel it is unfair, TELL them..and DONT sign it..

Ask them where and when will they have your bike fixed?

Tell them your leg had a bump o nit and is sore to the touch and you want to get a 2nd opinion from another Dr., and that your BACK is starting to hurt...

I bet you they will offer up the right figure real quick. :thumbsup2:

You're getting the right advice from these guys. Don't be too hasty. You need to make "very" sure your leg is going to be OK. Ask the Doc about the chance of problems 10 yrs from now. Arthritius, etc. Injuries have a way of coming back to "haunt" you down the road. Good luck Dude!! :thumbsup2:

Thanks guys. I had this insurance company on the horn a few minutes ago. She said this letter only applies to the leg. We agreed on an amount for the bike and she said she was going to cut a check right then and there. I told her i would send this letter back after i have gotten the check for the bike and made sure it has cleared. Now I just have to call this guy I know back about another 1st gen that is the same color that has no second gear and a few other issues. It also has alot of extra chrome. Then I'll just have to do some parts swapping. Then keep an eye out for misc. parts here and there to put that one in good working order.

Go talk with your insurance agent. If you don't have one (internet insurance), invest $100 or so and chat with a lawyer. This letter basically says:

1) We will pay you $750 to go away.

2) The fault in this accident is dubious (unclear).

3) We do not claim any liability or fault in this accident.

4) Your acceptance of this agreement will release the insured and the insurance company of any and all further payments for any reason.

You would be foolish to sign this. Perhaps if they have another zero ($7500), it would be OK.

As another idea:

1) Compile all your costs and estimates for medical and bike repair.

2) Copy the receipts/bills/estimates (marking out any personal info).

3) Add $1000 or so for your time.

4) Send the insurance company a letter (with copies of receipts/bills/estimates) stating this total is your calculation of THEIR LIABILITY in this accident.

5) Their acceptance of this proposal does NOT release them from any further damage/costs of future problems with your leg.

6) Without them agreeing to this proposal, the next proposal will include recovery of your legal fees.

7) Include at the bottom of the letter a cc: (abbreviation for carbon copy - lists who you are sending copies to) to your insurance agent.

8) If you have any witnesses, you may want to include a statement from them and copy them on the letter.

Good luck. You are getting what is needed to make you, and your bike, whole. You are not trying to cheat the insurance company. They, however, have no compunction about cheating you.

RR

The release clearly states that it is for bodily injury and property damage. In other words, if you sign it you will NEVER get more than $750 from them. Do not sign the release, even if you get the check for the bike. Have them issue a new release form showing the correct total amount paid to you, to avoid any later claim by them that they overpaid you.

And as others have said, don't sign anything until you are sure that your medical situation is adequately compensated. They should be paying all of your medical bills (not just your deductible). The fact that you have medical insurance doesn't relieve them of their responsibility for the bills, and your med insurance may have subrogation rights. And there should be some compensation in there beyond the bill amounts for "pain and suffering". And make sure that the check itself doesn't have release language on it.

DISCLAIMERS (a/k/a "the fine print"):

1. These should be considered statements of general legal principles and not specific legal advice.

2. When you get free legal advice, you get what you pay for!

3. I'm not a personal injury attorney. I don't even play one on television.

(Or in the courtroom, for that matter):)

Guest KitCarson

Go see an Lawyer.......will not be that expensive, let him talk for you......make a little money for himself and more for you. I would have to go see a lawyer.......to keep myself out of trouble, I might want to choke the agent!! I am pretty sure I would!!

Hey a1bummer,

As someone else mentioned that letter says you are releasing them from any bodily injury or property damage claim. You are right not to sign a release until you receive all you are going to receive from them. You might want to tell the claims rep that your leg is still bothering you and you aren't going to sign a release until you see a doctor. However, do not cc any letter you send them to an attorney. I have been an insurance agent for 35 years and can tell you as soon as they see a copy sent to an attorney they will immediately stop talking to you and tell you they can only speak to your attorney. If you tell them you don't have an attorney they still may want to see a release from the attorney you mentioned plus you just let them know you are bluffing. They need to think you are serious and not bluffing. Good luck! Eddie Hall

ECk if you hold down your CTRL button and then use the scrol button on your mouse it will make it larger for you to read

i had bristol west there no better for the guy they cover than what they want you to do i would talk to a lawer before sending that paper back to them cover your A** the 750 is not worth it they are relieing on you needing the fast cash to sign off

i had bristol for a little over 2 years when my last bike was totaled took all summer to get them to do anything they just keep putting you off there not a very reputable co.

good luck

A friend of mone was broadsided in his cage. The only injury he received was a seatbelt bruise. The insurance company offerred him $1500.00 for compensation for thet bruise. He said: How about $5000.00...

Thay gave him the check the next day..

They want you to settle for less, but they will give you more if you ask...They want that paper signed.

Do NOT sign! You are under no obligation to sign anything. Had something simmilar a few years back. My agent said why would you want to sign this? Cash the check and wait to see if any more problems or damage surfaces. If they don't recognize fault they wouldn't be offering settlement.!!!!!!

Do yourself a favor SIGN NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!