Ok, guys/gals. Looking to purchase a set of slip on's sometime this spring, so my question is what are your preferences, bubs slip ons, la choppers, khrome werks or the baron's slash cuts? Already have tried the stock HD slip ons and don't really like the sound they produce, to hollow sounding. Would like a low rumble at idle and also while cruising, not loud and annoying. Was going to put the bike up for sale, but with gas prices climbing and the bikes paid for might as well keep it. Any recommendations would be helpfull as I don't want to spend alot of money and be disappointed. Thanks...

Well...I got tired of the noise and went back to stock. My preference though, after trying the Road Kings, Samson and Khromewerk and listing to Baron's and Bub's on several other bikes was the Khromewerks. I think the fit and finish was superior and they had a nice deep sound. They can be repacked when necessary. ALL are pretty loud though.

The kromewerks, are they the one's that have the 4 pipes at the rear or the slash cuts? Been checking around and wow alot of money for slip on's. I had put the HD slip on with the brackets I bought from a member here and realy liked the sound quality at idle, but when riding they just sounded to hollow and tinny sounding. The stocker's are just to quiet, and I would like to have a little sound. When I ride with some friends, it's kind of difficult hearing my bike running and that's always a side joke with those guys, when I start it up they ask me if it's running or not. Should post the HD's slip on's on the classifieds with the mounting brackets I guess as they are now taking up some space in my garage. Thanks, for the reply anyone else?

Tried the RK's ... even drilled them out. Now running Khromewerks. I prefer them over the RK's. I've listened to most of the others via an on-line bunch of sound clips ... prefer the Khromewerks. They have a nice tone but are definately louder than drilled out RK's. Haven't had them on long enuf yet to determine how I'll like them on a longer trip but initially, I'm thinking I may have to put the stockers back on for that ... we'll see.

I took the stock ones off, put on a pair of nice RK pipes.. nice grumble but low enough you can hear the radio and not overly loud..

Then put a pair of Larossa turndown pipes and what? I can't hear you, what?? So freaking loud but impressive pipes.. wow..

Now running with a pair of black rineharts.. For me this has the BEST mix of not too loud and not too quiet.. noticeably different sound when a v4 roars through them.. However, when I go on LONG road trips, I'll be putting on the RK pipes as the constant loudness will tire you more by the end of the day..

What was funny last summer while traveling in the USA is a Harley rider pulling up next to me while at a light, I'm thumping the throttle, styling to the sound of the popes and he shouts out to me.. "Yeah, now THAT is how a Harley should sound like, YEAH!".. you should have seen the look on his face when I said "You're right, Harleys SHOULD sound like this.. it's a YAMAHA.." LOLOL..

Gosh, I like traveling to the USA.. =)

Good story, Those rhineharts were they for the HD's ? I did like the HD'S at idle, but under accereleration they had to much of a bark to them, may all the after maket slip on's will have this same type of bark, just don't want to spend the money and not be satisfied. I did listen to some sound clips but a little difficult to really tell coming out of a small speaker. May be the bark is because the V4's firing order don't know, but even the stock HD slip on's seem to me to have that car glass pipe sound and after a while they got on my nerves. I know my wife didn't like the sound at all so I put the stock venture muffs. back on. I will check out the khromewerks slip on's though.

I did listen to the sound clip link and the sound I liked the best seems to be the rolloing thunder pipes for the HD'S. Appears to have a nice low deep sound at idle and the rev up isn't to loud, still has the deep sound I'm looking for and the price is reasonable to boot. May have to check those out a little bit more...

Somewhere I had a post with my sound clips.

Here it is from you tube

Still have the pipes on my 08 and getting to rebaffle them, close to 100,000 miles with these.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOUbPUOgtuM]YouTube - Royal Star Venture Khrome Werks V2 Cont.[/ame]

Sleeperhawk, I do believe that is the sound I'm looking for, a nice low deep tone at idle and not really to mind blowing at cruising speeds. When you started out sounds like you got on it some but still didn't sound to loud. I bet at highway speeds it sounds like a v8 muscle car and would be awesome, thanks for sharing. Looks like I may have made my decision...:)

Sleeperhawk, I do believe that is the sound I'm looking for, a nice low deep tone at idle and not really to mind blowing at cruising speeds. When you started out sounds like you got on it some but still didn't sound to loud. I bet at highway speeds it sounds like a v8 muscle car and would be awesome, thanks for sharing. Looks like I may have made my decision...:)

Those were the Khromewerks ... not the Rolling Thunder ones I believe.

Does an exhaust change affect the warranty?

I've been considering a change also but concerned about the warranty.

I have stock pipes and did the mod to drill out the baffle..

When I took it in to have the cruise control looked at.. (surges up and down +/- 5mph once set).. they balmed it on the fuel mix because I punched out the exhaust and charged me $100+ for 'adjusting the cruise'.. Still didn't fix my problem.

And of course it was already doing it before I punched the exhaust out so that was not the cause.

Thanks,

Keith

Well...in my opinion...they got to you. Like I've said, I've run several brands of mufflers and the Samson's were close to just being straight through and NONE of them caused any performance problems or problems with the cruise control. I think they just took you for $100.00. Besides, there is only one simple adjustment on the cruiser control..it is the freeplay...and it would take about 15 minutes to adjust. That would make their shop rates about $400.00 per hour.

Oh..and to answer your question...it really should not affect your warranty but with a dealer like yours, they would probably try to make that claim. Way back when, during the time that my bike was under warranty, I had it in a couple of times and the mufflers were never mentioned.