Mel

On the GL 1800 what trailer hitch is the best for allowing access to rear wheel removal while giving good towing performance? There are a lot of different hitches out there as well as a wide price renge.

Actually you dont need to remove any part of a hitch or fender,2 ways,I lay it on its siode and then drop center stand(lay on left side) then undo 5 lugbolts and slide it out..the other way is jack it up a little and slide it out after removing 5 lug bolts..5 minute job.

Actually you dont need to remove any part of a hitch or fender,2 ways,I lay it on its siode and then drop center stand(lay on left side) then undo 5 lugbolts and slide it out..the other way is jack it up a little and slide it out after removing 5 lug bolts..5 minute job.

here is a link to what Tom is talking about...looks fairly easy...(?)

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217161

Like Tom, I lay mine on its right side to remove rear tire. Laying it down is easy, picking it back up is the trick. Stand with your butt against the seat and lift using our legs..

Yes you will have to strain to lift it.

Kinda/sorta on this track. Have any of y'all seen the PakitRack for the Wing? It uses sort of a trailer hitch (through the rear fender) to mount a small rack on which a decent sized "trunk" lives. Not as roomy as a trailer, but all the weight is on the bike and down low. Saw one last week in Nashville and it looked pretty slick. I think it, plus the on board storage, would meet my needs, maybe it would yours as well...

Kinda/sorta on this track. Have any of y'all seen the PakitRack for the Wing? It uses sort of a trailer hitch (through the rear fender) to mount a small rack on which a decent sized "trunk" lives. Not as roomy as a trailer, but all the weight is on the bike and down low. Saw one last week in Nashville and it looked pretty slick. I think it, plus the on board storage, would meet my needs, maybe it would yours as well...

I built mine a couple of years ago, and use it all the time, handy when you don't want to, or need to take the trailer.

• 2 weeks later...
BUMP

Looks like one response (Bushtec) and they are kinda pricey. Thread got away from my question. Suggestions for GL 1800 hitch that allows rear wheel removal?

All of them, if you use the lay the bike on its side technique of tire changing........

I will be buying the Buschtech hitch as it is recommend by Tom over on the GL1800 forum as being strong.

The inexpensive hitches that connect to the saddlebag sub-frames are not recommended.

I may not be understanding correctly so I will put a link to the one I use. It is VERY secure and has additional mount onto rear crash bars. I have no trouble getting rear tire off or access to it. 5-8 minutes I can have it off either by laying it over or jacking it up just a little. I hope this helps...Also the rear wheel just to leave on the bike while cleaning it is a PITA. with ANY hitch or without. http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/272_Trailer_Hitches_Racks/128_Kuryakyn_GL1800_Vertical_Goldwing_Trailer_Hitch/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F272_goldwing_Trailer_Hitches_Racks%2Fdes%2F

Edited by Tom