Boy you're going to get a bunch of different answers. Personally I prefer Dunlop Elite 3's, but my bike has a set of Metzler 880's on it from the previous owner and they aren't bad. I'll use them through this year and buy a set of Elite 3's next spring.

Thanks for your help. I will look at the Elite 3. Do you have an idea of how long they last in miles. Also have you been to the Blue Ridge Parkway if yes can you give any info on this place, I would like to ride it this year. Thanks again.

Bert:cool10:

I'm about to put on my second set of E-3's, the first set were great. They wore evenly with no flatspotting. I ride primarily on mountain roads in hot weather and like to twist the throttle, and I still managed to get 15,000 Kms from my present set. I could probably squeeze a few more thousand out of them, but am planning some longer trips and will just replace them. Best tires I've ever had. Ron

Hi I am replacing my rear tire on my 2001 RSV and would really like to hear some new opinions on what tires to consider.

Thank you

Bert:confused:

Is money any consideration? From what I have seen in tires thats a huge determination on what to buy.

bert

i'm on my first E3....jury still out for me on mileage....i got about 12,000 on the original dunlop

rode skyline/ the blue ridge/ natchez trace 2 yrs ago in the last week of may....10 days of riding, 7 days of rain...i wouldn't pick that time period again but you could just chalk that up to luck.........no fuel on the parkway....nice places to stay ( one place had cabins).....but very limited number of places on the parkway.....we had to pull off into the towns off the parkway.....check out little switzerland......lots of scenic lookouts...some sections were/are closed.....but the detours are well marked........start doing research.....you'll enjoy it

Thanks for your help. I will look at the Elite 3. Do you have an idea of how long they last in miles. Also have you been to the Blue Ridge Parkway if yes can you give any info on this place, I would like to ride it this year. Thanks again.

Bert

I'm doing the BRP in May ;)

The last set of E3s on the RSV lasted me a long time.. can't remember exactly but the current rear tire has over 28,000 MILES on it The front tire even more.. Both tires show a lot of tread left..

Thinking out loud.. I put 65,000 miles on the bike since mid-2008 when I bought it used. So I'm guessing the previous rear tires has close to 35,000 - 40,000 miles on it when Goose showed me how to change tires by hand last summer.. and it was erhm.. bald.

Keep the proper tire pressures and these baybees will last a long time..

The last set of E3s on the RSV lasted me a long time.. can't remember exactly but the current rear tire has over 28,000 MILES on it The front tire even more.. Both tires show a lot of tread left..

Thinking out loud.. I put 65,000 miles on the bike since mid-2008 when I bought it used. So I'm guessing the previous rear tires has close to 35,000 - 40,000 miles on it when Goose showed me how to change tires by hand last summer.. and it was erhm.. bald.

you going through a lot of duct tape are ya:stirthepot::big-grin-emoticon::stirthepot:

35,000 MILES????? If I ever got that out of a tire I'd erect a monument to the manufacturer! :shock3:

Yep.. no joke.. I went back and checked my maintenance logs and it's actually more like 34,000 miles on the rear tire.. Keep in mind it was rather bare by the time I got to Texas and got it changed.. and still on the same tire.. Most likely replacing it this summer with another E3 ;)

I keep my front at 39 psi and the rear tire around 41 psi.. this works best for my needs.. I good handling and longer life out of the tire.. and I check my pressure quite often.. the bulk of my road miles are on the slabs (highway).. I don't know if this helps with the longer life or not..

I was also able to get superb mileage out of my ME880's on the VStar.. lots of riding, always in the 30,000 to 40,000 range..

My original set of Dunlops went 21,000 miles. The rear was cupping, but I think I was only running 38 psi in it. Shoulda been running more psi, I guess.

Anyway, I replaced them with Metzeler 880s and went to 40 psi front and 42 psi rear.

Got 18,000 on that set and replaced them with some more Metzelers. Now to clarify, at 18,000, that front was still ok, but I changed it anyway because I like the new tire handling.

Anyway again, I now have 15000 on these, but I got a cut in the rear. I may replace them with more Metzelers or E3s, haven't decided yet.

My '88 has E3s and they seem to work nicely, but I haven't ridden any distance on them yet.

Good luck with your choices.

Rusty

Well, it looks like I'm turning to the Dark Side. Purchased yesterday a Kumho, 165/80 r 15. It will be mounted to RSV next week. Since my bike has s sidecar attached, I have no idea what to expect as far as handling and traction. what about inflation? Recommended inflation or less-more? What about a compliment tire for the front?? Any Ideas?? :confused24:

Rick A.

:Venture:

I just repalced my rear E3 at around 18000 miles, could have probab;y got a few more out of it, but its cheap insurance. the bridgstone that came on the rear of my 06 rstd lasted about 8000 miles, however, i got nearly 17 out of the front, repalced it with E3 last spring so still trying it out. did notice some chopping wear on it though don't know if maybe it's too hard a compound, or what, plus i do a lot of interstate riding, so that muight contribute to the wear pattern too.:mustache:

I need to look into 2 new tires for my 2005. I bought it last year with 1,600 miles on it. The original owner bought it rode and then was ended up getting cancer and it sat for 4 years. I picked it up for $10,000 It now only has 7,500 miles on it and the tires are dry rotting. From what I am seeing, looks like the E3's are the way to go. I dont do much distance rides, so I am also looking for ideas. Thanks everyone. :cool10:

Well, it looks like I'm turning to the Dark Side. Purchased yesterday a Kumho, 165/80 r 15. It will be mounted to RSV next week. Since my bike has s sidecar attached, I have no idea what to expect as far as handling and traction. what about inflation? Recommended inflation or less-more? What about a compliment tire for the front?? Any Ideas?? :confused24:

Rick A.

:Venture:

You darksiders have more nads then me. I wont opt out of a TRAILER tire for a utility TRAILER, no way I could ever bring myself to go to the "dark side". Not knocking ya one bit, just saying i dont have the desire for such a change.

You darksiders have more nads then me. I wont opt out of a TRAILER tire for a utility TRAILER, no way I could ever bring myself to go to the "dark side". Not knocking ya one bit, just saying i dont have the desire for such a change.

If you notice, he has a sidecar. A car tire is a great idea for sidecar bearing motorcycles.

First 3 sets of tires of the original tire, the D404 got me 20k front and 24k rear.

Then Dunlop got greedy and made a softer rubber D404. Got about 12k out of the front, and just under 8k from the rear, a very mad customer to say the least. But when I ordered my 5th set, I managed to get ahold of the original tire one more time for the rear, and was up to 21k miles when I decided to change it. Can't find the original any more, so ended up buying a Elite II for the rear, first time I've ever steared away from a D404, was just told an Elite II was a good tire and reasonable in price, we'll see what kind of mileage I get from this one.:confused24: