IGNORED

I messed up!!

craigatcsi

I messed up and bought a Bushtec Roadmaster Trailer. Don't get me wrong, the trailer is outstanding and worth every penny, but I wonder if I should've bought a side car instead.

I have bad hips and realize that holding up our bike with our combined 400lbs is getting to be an issue. Since a Trike conversion is sooo expensive, I was thinking that if I had bought a sidecar rather than a trailer, I would've been better off for close to the same money. I could've hauled our extra luggage on long trips in the sidecar AND been able to take a 3rd passenger on short cruises!

So, do you agree? Did I mess up?

I you are having problems holding the bike up with a bad hip or knee. The sidecar rig is the way to go. I really liked mine.

Now that I have had the hip replaced and both knees I have no problem with 2 up riding.

As I said earlier, I LOVE my Bushtec, but I think the sidecar thing might have been a better choice.

I doubt I will do the Trike thing, so I may have to start looking at sidecars, which to get and which to stay away from.

I had an email or saw a link from this site a while ago about a sidecar that still allows the bike to lean some. This sounds better.

craigr

My wife and I took a Trike for a Test Ride last Spring. I just couldn't get used to the handling. And, she didn't like the way I was throwing her around from my quick movements of the handlebars.

We only took it for 10 minutes or so. I've since heard that if we had taken it for a half hour or longer, that I would've learned how to handle it and wouldn't be throwing her around.

Do Sidecars drive like trikes?

I wonder if you can still add a sidecar and keep the trailer as well? I looked at 2 different sidecar options about a year ago. One that was a solid mount and did not allow the bike to lean and the second that had a sliding hinge like mount that did allow the bike to lean. I think there are enough options that you should be able to work something out. Shaun

One of the great things with the side car is that you track in the normal car wheel tracks. My Dad has had one for 10 years, at first I hated it, yet it was all because we too much toe in on the side car so it would fight you hard in a right hand turn and nearly break your neck with the left hand turn.

Truly the sidecar is a better deal IMHO, since you can remove the side car and still drive the bike as normal.

Lastly, I just plain think they look way cooler and the passenger is very protected.

Remember although you may find a cheap sidecar the brackets to hook one up is where the cost comes in.

Your trailer if you like should be an easy sell on the forum.

Good luck and enjoy

Yes you should have given the Trike a lot more time than 10 minutes. Some take to it right off, and others take from 500 to 100 miles to get comfortable. IMO the only way to go. If you are having problems holding it up now, trust me it ain't going to get any better,,,:crying: Support is what you need now in a side-car or Trike kit of some type. A full kit is of course always better, but a voyager add on will get you going for some less money, but remember if it isn't set up right it can be miserable to live with, and you have 4 tires to deal with, and the steering will be extremely stiff, without a rake.

Trikes and side-car rigs handle very differently. Properly set up, both operate very well, but the handling is still very different. The handling of a trike is symmetrical and a side-car rig's handling is asymmetrical. A trike is balanced around the thrust while a side-car rig isn't. A trike wants to go straight when accelerating and stopping while a side-car rig wants to turn right during acceleration and turn left when stopping. That doesn't make one better than the other, just different.

I had a side-car rig 30+ years ago when the kids were little. It was great for hauling them and they could be very well protected from the elements. Today, a good side-car rig can cost nearly as much a good trike. You can pull your trailer with either so I wouldn't sell it unless you need the cash.

I have been running a sidecar on my RSV for over three years now and I love it.Takes a little getting used to but not very long.My wife loves riding in the sidecar.Mine was installed by a dealer who had a machine shop and made all the brackets .I've been pulling a bunkhouse camper with it and you sure do get the looks.I live in the mountains of NC and the RSV has plenty of power to tow the rig.