IGNORED

if you were gonna go .....

jlh3rd

jonesy,

Thats how I always went... but then I was starting out from Chambersburg. The time you loose in miles will more than be made up in time saved in traffic jams, especially if you are unfortunate enought to hit a major city at 7-9am, 11-1pm, 3-6pm , I really hate city traffic and always try to time it so I'm not there the during the aforementioned times.

:Venture:

how about I-81 south, to I-77 to I-26, to I-95 in SC. longer in miles, but no big cities to deal with, less traffic, less stress.

This is the route I take to FLA and points south coming out of central NY.It may add a couple miles but it is shorter in time because we don't have to deal with the ever present stop and go traffic around DC.always smooth sailing on the 81.:thumbsup2:

how about I-81 south, to I-77 to I-26, to I-95 in SC. longer in miles, but no big cities to deal with, less traffic, less stress.

This would be the route I would take if I was going up north LOL. I live off of I-77 about 15 miles north of the bad parts in uptown Charlotte. I would say just try to time it to be through there before 7 7:30am and before 4pm. It does tend to back up a little. Also you will have to pass through Columbia SC which is aa ok size city and can get touch n go traffic there also. RIDE SAFE and watch for SC and GA troopers. Specially GA because they are suppose to be running MOTORCYCLE ONLY check points. Looking for stolen bikes, no ID, etc, but I am sure they will find lower fine tix issues as well.

I am actually heading down myself on Thursday taking the I77-I26-I95 route. RIDE SAFE.

Rubber down and paint up.

I went to BikeOctoberFest last year and stayed in Palm Cost about 30 miles or so above Daytona. I live by Dulles airport in Virginia. I left my house at 4 AM and it took me 16 hours straight down 95. I didn't hit hardly any traffic but it poured from the NC border all the way to FL. On the way home it took me 14 hours and it rained from GA all the way back to VA. I'd say 95 wasn't a bad drive. I put it on cruise and stayed under 70 MPH for the most part. The worst part was the coyote that run right out in front of me in NC on 95 on cruise at 70 MPH. I almost had to change my pants. Not that I have ever seen a coyote but I swear it wasn't a dog or fox.

Specially GA because they are suppose to be running MOTORCYCLE ONLY check points. Looking for stolen bikes, no ID, etc, but I am sure they will find lower fine tix issues as well.

ummmm..... since when?

Personally, I'd avoid I-95 like the plaque. Yeah, it is the "fastest" way, but IMHO it is one of the worst roads (especially Motorcycle roads!!) in the country. Too much traffic, too many nut jobs driving...etc. Take another day or two, ride down on decent roads where ya can really ENJOY the trip.. I used to go for the races and not the party. THe party's kinda overrated anyway .... I'd rather ride than put up with the traffic.

I would take I-95. When you get into Georgia, it is mostly 3 lane.

When you get to Florida, take the second exit to Fernandina Beach and take A1A south. Great ride, and you get to take a ferry across the river at Mayport.

Another option is to take US Hwy 29 South from Gainesville / Culpepper towards Lynchburg.

You are kind of splitting VA by going down the middle.

I would not do I-81 / I-77, to far out of the way.

We drive that way twice a year, every year. We have tried various routes (we live in Colonial Park). The fastest and easiest way, BY FAR, is to take US-15 into Maryland, and then I-270 to I-95. This brings you out onto I-95 south of DC and removes the DC, Philly and Baltimore traffic. DO NOT take the turnpike to Philly to pick up I-95 there, or I-83 south to Balitmore, unless you are leaving VERY early in the morning, or VERY late at night. We always make it to Fredericksburg, VA in less than four hours, which is where we stop for lunch. Any of the other ways always take at least five hours, and that's if you don't run into construction/accident/congestion, etc. From where you are on the west shore, our way would be even shorter for you since you don't have to deal with the South Bridge (I-83), like we do. Hope this helps, Don.

thanks for all the comments.....i wish i had the time to go slower..( i'd like to take the "coastal" road)....but i gotta make a balance of time and safety....basically have 4-5 days to play with....i don't wanna rush, and heavy traffic makes me feel rushed.....and that's not safe...i've been on I-95 south of dc to richmond....it was stop and go....no, no accident......