IGNORED

BikeMaster® TIRE PRESSURE INDICATOR CAPS

Dave3

Been using them for several years on a couple of different bikes and my cars. Great for a quick glance to check the tire pressure. I still like to check with a proper gauge usually at least every couple of weeks or so. Usually only have to add air every few months but only 1 to 3 lbs.

I noticed that they do not turn yellow until they get down by 25%. This means that on the 44 psi they will not warn you until your pressure is down to 33psi. Not good. I ride 35 psi on my front tire so I would put a 44 psi on the front tire so I would be warned after a 6% loss. On the back I usually ride 45 psi. I think I would know well before my pressure got down to 33 psi that my tire was low. Wished they had one for 56 psi. That one would warn me at 42 psi or about 7% loss. I'm thinking that as it is right now I would not put it on my rear tire because it would probably give me a false sense of security. Now if they had the 56 psi I would get it in a heart beat for the rear tire.

I noticed that they do not turn yellow until they get down by 25%. This means that on the 44 psi they will not warn you until your pressure is down to 33psi. Not good. I ride 35 psi on my front tire so I would put a 44 psi on the front tire so I would be warned after a 6% loss. On the back I usually ride 45 psi. I think I would know well before my pressure got down to 33 psi that my tire was low. Wished they had one for 56 psi. That one would warn me at 42 psi or about 7% loss. I'm thinking that as it is right now I would not put it on my rear tire because it would probably give me a false sense of security. Now if they had the 56 psi I would get it in a heart beat for the rear tire.

Excellent point . . . Maybe I won't get these

I bought something similar at wally-world. They seem to work okay. I don't rely on them absolutely. If anything other than completely green I recheck with a gauge.

They are good for a quick check at a glance and seem to be pretty accurate.

Why not buy a lower value cap for it? So if you fill tire to 36 lbs go with the 30 lb cap. From the get go your already 20% or so over pressure so when it does change colors your only 4 lbs. Low but drivable to get air. Hope my maths right.:confused24:

Edited by Mikealiasmike
math not adding up

Why not buy a lower value cap for it? So if you fill tire to 36 lbs go with the 30 lb cap. From the get go your already 20% or so over pressure so when it does change colors your only 4 lbs. Low but drivable to get air. Hope my maths right.:confused24:

I think that is backwards, but math and logic has never been my strong point.

If you got a 42 lb cap, and you ran your tires at 35 lbs the cap would go off at 20% low so: 42-20%=33.6 lbs so you would only be 1.4 lbs low.

Is that right?

Yep, I'm quite sure your right. Guess I needed more sleep :whistling: but it does seem by utilizing a different gauge cap as you pointed out would be better then 25% low using actual correct one. Believe it or not I had it right the first time I typed it out but went the other way once I looked at it and retyped it. :doh:Thanks for correcting me. God Bless. mike

Yep, I'm quite sure your right. Guess I needed more sleep :whistling: but it does seem by utilizing a different gauge cap as you pointed out would be better then 25% low using actual correct one. Believe it or not I had it right the first time I typed it out but went the other way once I looked at it and retyped it. :doh:Thanks for correcting me. God Bless. mike

Yeah but great thinking. :bowdown::clap2:

I also got the Wal-Mart ones (might have been Green Slime) a few years back.

I posted, don't remember if it was this forum or another,,, but most people blasted the idea. And valid skepticism,,,

You are relying on a pretty cheap plastic valve cap that keeps your valve stem open. Pretty easy for it to break and let your tire empty in a few seconds.

What I did notice is that they were pretty uneven between caps.

I prefer kicking tires, if it hurts, the tire is full.

Just saying,,,,,,,,

I also got the Wal-Mart ones (might have been Green Slime) a few years back.

I posted, don't remember if it was this forum or another,,, but most people blasted the idea. And valid skepticism,,,

You are relying on a pretty cheap plastic valve cap that keeps your valve stem open. Pretty easy for it to break and let your tire empty in a few seconds.

What I did notice is that they were pretty uneven between caps.

I prefer kicking tires, if it hurts, the tire is full.

Just saying,,,,,,,,

Do you kick them with your shoes on or off? From experience I find it much less painful with shoes on. :crackup:Problem is most of us in Arkansas have holes in the toes of all our shoes. ;) But duck tapes fixed some of that problem.:happy34:

I like the idea of using a higher rated cap to show more yellow at less pressure lost.

I do agree that it seems bad to have the valve held open by the psi gauge that might break and let your tire deflate quickly. ??