IGNORED

Rusted Antenna Bases

I noticed when I was shopping for my RSV that several I saw on the internet had rusted antenna bases, so this must be fairly common. Here is a pic of one of mine and both are pretty rusty. I like the look of the standard antennas so I really don't want to switch to the Firefly's. Has anybody here had any luck replacing or fixing these things?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/elmicko2002/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTYtMjAxMTAyMTYtMTMxOC5qcGc.jpg

About the only thing one could do to stop it would be to sand off the rust and paint the bases.

I too like the look of the whip antennas vs. the fiberglass ones. My AM/FM fell off last year and I just put a $10 universal antenna on it from AutoZone. It looks like hell, but it works. I have plans to replace both antennas with a set of CB whips from Radio Shack this summer when funds are more available.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102661

I noticed when I was shopping for my RSV that several I saw on the internet had rusted antenna bases, so this must be fairly common. Here is a pic of one of mine and both are pretty rusty. I like the look of the standard antennas so I really don't want to switch to the Firefly's. Has anybody here had any luck replacing or fixing these things?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/elmicko2002/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTYtMjAxMTAyMTYtMTMxOC5qcGc.jpg

I just taped mine off and painted them I have a MM edition and I used Gold paint and it looks greats.

I just picked up a like new pair off Ebay for an '09RSV. Like you I like the OEM whips. Unlike your situation I'm replacing the early plastic based whips on my '99. I'll definately keep an eye on them after seeing yours. Gonna keep those babies waxed up... :) Think road salt might be the cause??

I just picked up a like new pair off Ebay for an '09RSV. Like you I like the OEM whips. Unlike your situation I'm replacing the early plastic based whips on my '99. I'll definately keep an eye on them after seeing yours. Gonna keep those babies waxed up... :) Think road salt might be the cause??

I don't think it's road salt. It was like this when I bought the bike and I'm sure the PO never had it out when the roads were salted. He's a summer rider. Like I said in the original post, almost all of them I saw when I was shopping for my bike were like this. I'm going to sand the down a bit and shrink wrap them.