IGNORED

When to go to the Black Hills

gunkylump

I had a previous thread about this ride, but neither Beth or I knew when we could get vacation.

Well, we have a choice to make now:

A) Last two weeks of July

B) First two weeks of September

What do you recommend, and why?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

gunk:confused24:

Guest tx2sturgis

If your going to be camping, make it in July..nights will be comfortable. If staying in motels, then September might be better.

Keep in mind the last few days of July you will be there during the buildup for the Sturgis Rally, so be aware of possible price hikes at the motels.

If I had those 2 choices, I'd go for early Sept. It should be warm enough for nice riding, even in the Hills. End of July can be very hot across South Dakota, and especially so in the Badlands, if that's part of your plan. The best thing about Sept is that you'll have to share all that beautiful scenery, and those fun-to-ride roads with so many less people, compared to in July. We've been in the Hills at various times of the year, and I'll take 1st week of June, or early Sept anytime. Once school is out, vacationers start to roll, and the numbers pick up.

The only disadvantage might be that some of the touristy stuff could start closing down for the winter, if that's your kind of thing. I'm not sure how much of that happens out there. If you're going for the scenery and riding, then who cares?

Whenever you go, it's a great area to ride. Good luck and have fun.

Larry

We'd really like to see you at the International in July, but the first two weeks in Sept would see less traffic and fewer tourists. You will be dealing with Labor Day Weekend activities the first couple of days, but it will give you an extra day if they'll let you tack it on to your time off.

We're really torn....it would be great to hit the rally, but at the same time, it would be nice not to battle heavy traffic and room prices...we motel it, Beth just isn't a camper.

I don't want to be anywhere close to Sturgis during the rally, but a week or so in front or behind would be neat.

This is going to be a tough one, although I'm thinking September would probably be better for us......

Thanks to everyone for their insights and input, I do appreciate your thoughts on this one.

gunk:confused24:

The hotel room rates start going up about two weeks before the rally and shoot up toward the moon for Rally week. Traffic is typically bad three days before the rally to about three days after the rally although it that depends on the weather, location, and year. Last summer my wife and I hit Spearfish Canyon on the Sunday after the rally and had the canyon to ourselves; quite unusual for any summer Sunday.

We live about 70 miles west of Sturgis and aren't into the rally scene. IMHO, rally time is not a time to see the beautiful Black Hills.:no-no-no: The Black Hills of SD and WY has some of the best motorcycling roads anywhere, but the rally brings in way too many people to enjoy the scenery and the roads.:backinmyday:

Give us a shout whenever you come through and maybe we can ride with you a ways...