IGNORED

Just sheared off my clutch speed bleeder

Now what do I do?

Made a heck of a mistake and tried to use a socked instead of an open end wrench (7mm) which I didn't have and sheared off a speed bleeder on my clutch. Didn't have the room to use a socket and was applying too much side pressure. I thought I might be able to replace part of the line. I can't even see what needs to be replaced.

If anyone has seen this situation before I would appreciate the help. Not sure if I can try to drill out the speed bleeder some how and then tap new threads. There is not much room to work. Not sure if shops can do this kind of work.

Would really appreciate peoples suggestions if you have experience with this kind of thing. Have a trip planned and I have one more weekend to solve the problem or else I will have to cancel my trip over a stupid speed bleeder.

Hey Bob,

First off, DON'T PANIC! This happens all the time! I have attached a pic of the parts break down so you can see what the unit looks like that you are working with. (Yellow Arrow)

The Speed Bleeder screws into the Clutch Slave Cylinder.

Option #1 would be to remove the Clutch Slave Cylinder and then use a 1/8" drill and a 1/8" "Easy Out" and remove the broken off threads from the Clutch Slave. Option #2 is to purchase a NEW Clutch Slave Cylinder, then simply remove the two bolts that hold the Clutch Slave on, install the new Clutch Slave, bleed the clutch, and you will be good to go. You could then remove the broken off threads and have a "back-up" clutch slave. If this is going to be a project that you will be taking to a dealer, the replacement of the Clutch Slave is the way they are going to do it. It is a shame you don't live closer, I have a "Rig" set up to do this operation right on the bike. (it's not for the faint of heart)

Even with moderate mechanical skills, the two bolts could be removed, and a new Clutch Slave could easily installed. :thumbsup2:

I hope this helps,

Earl

Their website says when this happens absolutely don't use an easy out. Says it will break 9 out of 10 times. They will replace the part if you send them the caliper, but my problem is that it is for my clutch. Does anyone know what it takes to remove the clutch line?

Bob

Earl,

Thanks for the post.

I was just thinking about you when I saw your post. Figured you sold the SS lines so you probably knew all about this stuff. Didn't realize I could take off the cluch slave so easy. I will do that and send it to Speed Bleeder. They have a service where they take out the old one and put in the new one free of charge.

You helped me a lot Earl.

Thanks,

Bob

Their website says when this happens absolutely don't use an easy out. Says it will break 9 out of 10 times. They will replace the part if you send them the caliper, but my problem is that it is for my clutch. Does anyone know what it takes to remove the clutch line?

Bob

To remove the slave you're going to have to take off the middle gear cover. The banjo bolt is easy to get to once it's off. The slave is held to the engine casing by two hex cap screws. 6mm/#25 I think?? Once the slave is loose it will come out by rotating it upside down. Be patient... I'd take Earl's suggestion and pick up a new slave. Might as well since you're in there anyway. Then order another SpeedBleeder and get back on the road. I wouldn't bother sending the old slave in. Play with it...you might get lucky... :)

Hey Bob,

Jack is right on the money on this one! Your clutch slave is already 11 YEARS OLD! Treat yourself and your bike to a new clutch slave cylinder, you're worth it! Oh yea, while you are at it, buy yourself a set of metric combo boxed/open end wrenches, it's a LOT cheaper than buying new parts for your bike!:sign just kidding:If you need help with parts, I can help.

Earl

Guest scarylarry

I don't mean to rub salt on the wound here.

I didn't want to start a thread on it either, I just installed the speed bleeder for the clutch and this is a awesome must have, the hardest part was installing them..

Bleed the clutch in few mins. the fluid look like tabacco juice..

Good luck and you will enjoy the ease of bleeding the clutch..