IGNORED

2nd gear trans suggestion

I don't usually post ebay listings on here because I feel if someone is paying attention to a listing on something they want, someone else should not post to the world of others too lazy to keep up with it. But, with the last transmission I picked up from an 86, which is after the correction, and me getting it for $25 plus a little shipping, there does not seem to be a lot of interest.

So, I am going to post this and see if anyone is interested as in my mind this is absolutely the best way to fix a 2nd gear problem on an early 1st gen. With this and a few gaskets, I have not doubt you could end your 2nd gear problems forever as this is the way I did it several years ago on my bike.

If anyone has any questions, just let me know.

RandyA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-yamaha-xvz1200-xvz-1200-venture-ym85-transmission-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a6325d346QQitemZ250771526470QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Edited by Venturous Randy

It claims to be an 86, 1200, and 85. Not sure I'd want to take the chance.

All that work to tear it down, for the sake of changing a washer, and doing the undercut on the gears,,,, I wouldn't spend the extra on the gears.

Thanks Carl. I sent the guy a note and told him there were too many discrepencies. I did not notice all this. Thanks and I agree with you.

RandyA

He did answer me. Said he would check it out???

Dan/Randy

Do you need a 1200 transmission?

I still have the one that came out of my 83 1200.

It never had any symptoms of jumping out of second. If the thrust washer were to be changed I think it would be fine.

38,370 miles

Gary

so if i were to buy these parts all i would have to do is drop them in and I would be good?:fingers-crossed-emo I just spent $180.00 on gear 5th wheel (the one with the three nubs). I could take it bake for a small restocking fee...

So do I absolutley need to also buy gear 2nd wheel too (the one that the three nubs jump out of)? that would be another 100.00 bucks. thanks in advance.

Michael

You could come out a lot cheaper with a mid-85 up tranny or undercut the gears you already have. I don't think I would try the undercutting if 2nd was completely gone til you couldn't use it at all but Randy would know more about this than I do as he has done the undercut on his. If it is just starting to pop out you could just replace the washers and get a lot more miles out of it. Several ways to go. Replacing the gears from Mama Yama probally the most costly way to go.

so if i were to buy these parts all i would have to do is drop them in and I would be good?:fingers-crossed-emo I just spent $180.00 on gear 5th wheel (the one with the three nubs). I could take it bake for a small restocking fee...

So do I absolutley need to also buy gear 2nd wheel too (the one that the three nubs jump out of)? that would be another 100.00 bucks. thanks in advance.

Michael

If the gears are truly out of a Mark 2 (86 and up) and he says they are then you could drop the set in and all would be good. YES and more cost effective than buying the gears from Mamma Yamma but you would still need to buy the split washers.

Dan/Randy

Do you need a 1200 transmission?

I still have the one that came out of my 83 1200.

It never had any symptoms of jumping out of second. If the thrust washer were to be changed I think it would be fine.

38,370 miles

Gary

This transmission has found a new home in Canada.

Gary

Michael

Michael, I have done it both ways. About 12 years ago, i tore down my 83 and undercut and matched 2nd and 5th gear. 60,000 miles later I had an 86 trans and pulled it apart and dropped it in. I have put probably 30,000 plus miles on it and it is working great.

I am not sure about this, but I have heard that the spring that ultimately pushes on the thrust washer is not as strong on the 86 up transmissions and it reduces wear on that area.

These transmissions pop up on ebay ocassionally and rarely go for a lot of money.

RandyA

• 1 month later...