IGNORED

Side Vent Block Off Plates

No Mike,

They only offered these items on the 83 and 84 1200s, to block the heat coming out of the engine compartment. But when Yamaha added the adjustable vents in 86 (maybe 85) they weren't needed and were discontinued. So if you want a set, you will have to find someone to make them....probably out of polished stainless.

Hope this helps,

Rick

I have seen a couple of VR that have snazzy chrome/steel/shiney block-off plates. Are these still available commercially or do I need to find someone to make these for me? Thanks

Hey Mike,

I have seen a few different styles of block off plates used to get rid of the adjustable "Vents" on the MKII VR side panels. I have attached a few pics of what I did to get rid of the vents.

Earl

BROKEN LEFT LOUVER.jpg

RT. SIDE LOUVER 2.jpg

LEFT SIDE LOUVER.jpg

Edited by skydoc_17
Forgot Pics!

Are these what you are looking for?

If they are, make me an outrageously high offer, and they can be yours.

I still have the side covers and taking them off would leave the mount holes in the side covers, but I am not using them. Bike has been slightly modified in that area.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT3981s.jpg

I got lucky and found a good set on eBay for about $25.00 a while back. Probably won't see another set for that price for a while.

They are great in the summer to keep the heat off but I remove them in cold weather to feel some of that engine heat.

There was someone here a while back that made a set using smoked plexiglass and heated it in the oven to shape it. Looked pretty good.

Mike

Are these what you are looking for?

If they are, make me an outrageously high offer, and they can be yours.

I still have the side covers and taking them off would leave the mount holes in the side covers, but I am not using them. Bike has been slightly modified in that area.

Gary

Gary,

I could not possibly begin to derive a price commensurate with the sentimental value associated with said block-out plates. :confused24:

Besides I have a MK II so I am not sure these would work.:whistling:

If you want something that works good and costs almost nothing, you could do what I did. I took a vinyl floor tile and cut it just a hair larger than the opening using a pair if scissors, spray painted it gold, and then used RTV to stick to the inside of the side cover. I did this about 5 years ago and it is still solidly mounted.