IGNORED

tire removal question

Guest Ken8143

Guest Ken8143

I need to change tires on my first Gen. Guy wants $260 for rear tire and $125 labor to replace. WHAT? I think this is outrageous.

So. I look at the tech library for tire removal (http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1393)

My question - is this a reasonable thing for a non-mechanic to do - a regular sort of fellow who doesn't know a lot about engines, frames, suspensions and so forth but can turn a bolt?

Absolutely. No so difficult at all. I had never done it myself until earlier this year. Save bundles and learned a lot. The most difficult part was inserting the axle while trying to keep all the pieces together. If you have the Owners Manual, just follow the directions. You may impress yourself with new found talents.

Ken, I think that tire price is a bit more than I paid for both new Avons for my 1st gen. There is nothing hard about changing out the rear tire. It is just work. You might need to have some help to tilt the bike over a little to pull the tire/wheel out from under the bike. The other thing you will want to do is grease the splines in the wheel.

RandyA

It's not hard at all, Ken. I have a homemade hitch which prohibits rolling the tire out the back, but if you have a MC jack, it is easy to lift the bike high enough to pull the tire out the bottom. And you probably only need to remove the right muffler, not both like the book says.

The front only needs to be up a few inches.

This is also a good time to check/replace your brake pads.

Not hard at all, just pay attention o how it comes off and reverse the same. It can be done without removing the saddlebags, unless you have a trailer hitch. I have a lift table here that you can drop the rear tire straight down. The front tire is really easy by putting a tire jack under the front of the engine to lift the tire up. If you were closer, I would be glad to help. I'm abot an hour and a half south of Morgantown.....

:beer:

Dude, those prices are nuts! You can buy online a Dunlop E3 for the rear for around 120; local prices will be higher but should not be 260! Mount and balance, if you take in the wheel, should be $20-25. If you take in the whole bike, it will be higher of course, and these bikes take longer because of the bags & stuff. You can do it yourself. I even mount and balance the tires myself, which is actually pretty easy too. Well, the mounting is a bit of a pain, but do-able.

Jeremy

If you do it by yourself, on the centerstand, taking your time, for the back tire it should take about 1/2 hr to 45 minutes to take off and about the same to put it back on. $20 to 25 to have it mounted.

take off both mufflers, curb side bag, trim, license plate and plastic fender. Front is even easier. should be able to find a set of tires for a little over 2bills. Like Randya said, remember to grease the rear splines on install.

Guest Ken8143

Thanks for the posts. Now - where the heck can I find the Elite II? Just had an order cancelled. Other places not in stock. No Elite 3 for the front. Dang! If it isn't one thing it is another.

I like the Elite 2 a lot - have way over 15K miles on the rear - those I put on my own self, no idea how many the previous owner put on. They were used when I got the bike.

So - where can I get Elites or do I have to go to some other brand like Avon? You guys scared me to death with the Metzler stories.

And Skid - if I find tires I may just pay you a visit. You aren't so far away!

Apparently Dumblap doesn't think we deserve an Elite III for the front of our bikes. They have been saying it's "back ordered" for at least two years!

E III on the back and a 404 on the front is a good combo. I've found that to ride the best on my '86, and I've been known to push it; in the twisties and on the super slab. :biker: :7_6_3[1]:

AMT or Americanmototire still has the Elite 2 instock. I bought the rear tire from them, the elite 3 tire. Was very pleased with their service. They let you know when the tire will be shipped plus they give you a tracking number as well. I have the venom front tire already so I went ahead and bought the Elite 3 for the rear for around 98.00?

As for the Elite 2 tires I have over 17,000 on the front and rear tires front has 3/32 left in the tread and rear has 5/32 left as well so I been well pleased with the Elite tires. I use Ride-On in the tires as well helps the tires last longer plus Ride-On balance's out the tires too, never gave me any trouble.

http://www.americanmototire.com

Elite 2

front tire 96.91

rear tire 112.29

plus shipping

buddy

E2's are great tires but are gradually being discontinued in favor of the new E3's. Dunlop seems to have had some management problems and a strike which they have not recovered from in terms of supply issues. Let's face it - their bread-and-butter is probably supplying the OEM's with tires for new bikes. So...no front E3 yet, and E2 you'd be lucky to find. I installed E3 rear and Pirelli MT66 front.

In the past, I've gotten over 20k from E2's on my Virago, front and rear. I've got one on there now that's over 20K and has a little left in it. The E3 on the back of my Venture is my first. It's got over 10k and, although these predictions are hard to make, it looks like it will go for 20K. I've had that model of Pirelli on the Virago before and got 17k/13k front/rear from them, which is decent, and they handle well and are cheap. So, I went with that for the front of the Venture when the E3 was not available.

Jeremy