IGNORED

drive shaft inserting

Rockdoc

Having searched the tech section, I just want to clarify something. Having greased the splines on the end of the drive shaft I've gone to insert it back in the drive shaft tube. After a little jiggle it went in and i was able to loosly fit the four acorn nuts prior to doing the alignment process as reccommended in the tech section. My question is (probably a dumb one) is, is it possible for the end of this shaft to miss its connnection with the UJ and simply lay in the bottom of the tube? I think its gone in but not sure.

Cheers

Hey Doc,

When I insert the drive shaft in the tube, I have the tranny in neutral. When it feels like I have the drive shaft in the yoke of the U Joint, I turn the drive shaft by hand, and have Jean shift the tranny to first gear. If the drive shaft stops turning, then all is well. If the drive shaft will still turn, that lets me know that I have missed the splines in the yoke, and I need to try again.

Another tip, When I insert the drive shaft into the tube, I have the yoke on the end of the drive shaft so the splines can only go side to side, NOT up and down. With the tranny in neutral, if I get it close, the input yoke can rotate slightly, and the drive shaft has a better shot of lining up. This is a pain in the neck, service, but well worth it.

Good Luck with this project,:thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks guys.

I'm going back in to look tommorow and will flip the inspection cap off on the swinging arm. By the sound of it I am right to assume I've missed. If so I'll try and use the methods you all suggest. As it is, i've realised I did'nt grease up the end of the shaft that goes into the final drive. I was scared of screwing up the oil seal as mentioned in previous thread on this subject, but by the sound of it I should do it if only to complete the job.

Thanks again

Make sure you intalled the little spring into the rear end of the shaft.

I hope you used Honda Moly60 on the splines, all three splines.

the front of the driveshaft

The rear of the driveshaft

The splines that connect the final drive to the "clutch hub"

and on the clutch hub fingrers where they go into the rear wheel.

Make sure you intalled the little spring into the rear end of the shaft.

I hope you used Honda Moly60 on the splines, all three splines.

the front of the driveshaft

The rear of the driveshaft

The splines that connect the final drive to the "clutch hub"

and on the clutch hub fingrers where they go into the rear wheel.

Still would like to know why people are greasing the end that goes in the pumpkin, because the one time I pulled mine out, that end was totally oily from the rear end oil. So why mix the grease and oil together ??

Still would like to know why people are greasing the end that goes in the pumpkin, because the one time I pulled mine out, that end was totally oily from the rear end oil. So why mix the grease and oil together ??

You must have laid the final drve on it's side... the rear splines on my bike never had any gear oil on it anytime I disassembled it....

And I do add about a pea sized ball of Honda Moly60 to the final drive of all my shaft drive bikes...... in an effort to make the gears last longer.

NEVER put moly in anything that has copper in it, like a limited slip differential, or a wet clutch.

Yes, you were right Sleeperhawk, the shaft had missed the UJ, I could hear it flopping about in the tube. I'm still a little worried about pulling out the shaft where it goes into tthe 'pumpkin'., in case I mess up the oil seal. Getting parts where I am is a little tricky. I'll try and use the wire through the inspection hole to line up the shaft.

Thanks all again

:bagpipes-emoticon: