IGNORED

Installer blew my tire and blamed me!

bluerstd08

Well, my first DS tire finally wore down and I'm continuing to ride the DarkSide. 19000 miles. Friday when I took my tire to get mounted the guy at the shop told me it was illegal to mount CTs on motorcycles. I asked to see the law. He shut up. First they took the old tire off, got the new one on the rim. He didnt clean the gunk off and used hardly any lube. I specifically told him do NOT go about 80psi and to inflate slowly. He proceeded to tell me he was the mechanic. Well he inflated it to 60 and let the air out, then staddled the tire bouncing it as another mechanic inflated it to somewhere between 80-100 psi and BOOM, the tire blew. We were all in the shop and I checked to make sure they were ok. Fortunately they were. The guy started cussing at me like I made it blow. I took my rim and went out bought another DS tire and took it to another shop. He cleaned the rim, lubed it up real good and inflated to 60psi 3 times and then to 65psi and set it in front of a heater and it seated with no problem. So after all said and done my 2nd DS tire ended up costing just as much as a MC tire.

Tire #1 $62.00

Tire #2 $83.00

Shop#1 $50.00 (Didn't feel like arguing considering my bike was on the rack)

Shop#2 $25.00 (mounting the tire on the rim)

Total $220.00

My Kumho has around 25,000 on it now and about half the thread left.... should be good for 40k any way..

Only 19000 on a CT tire?? I thought one of the big reasons for going to the CT was better milage?? Seems to me your CT isn't getting much more than a good touring MC tire.... :stirthepot:

hi jason thanks for shareing this story. man what a nut case. glad to hear they did not get hurt. i'll make sure if i'am in your neck of the woods not to go to that tire shop. you should have got more milage out of that c/t? my first c/t i got 40,000 miles out of it.

reguards

don c.

Can't say that I have really kept up with the threads on the car tires as it is not something I would do.

One thing that struck me so of odd that the new tire blew with 80-100 lbs of air. I worked in a gas station when I was young and we regularly run the air up to probably that much when seating the tire to the rim. Never had one blow. Of course tires are made different today but just seemed strange to me.

Also wonder where the liability might have been assessed if someone had got hurt?

BOO

Only 19000 on a CT tire?? I thought one of the big reasons for going to the CT was better milage?? Seems to me your CT isn't getting much more than a good touring MC tire.... :stirthepot:

Which tire are you using on your bike? That's great milage on a motorcycle tire!

It lasted only 19000 miles mainly due to my heavy handedness at stop lights....black streak on the ground. To me that was excellent considering I only got 3-5k miles out of a MC tire. I run an Avon cobra on the front and I have about 12k miles in it and its still pretty meaty. As for the idiot that blew the tire, I know he wasnt hurt. I just got tired of arguing and ate the blown tire cost and the cost for him to take the rim off and put back on. It was the las time I will ever set foot in that shop.