IGNORED

Craigslist users

Bigfoot

I don't like using Craigslist due to their reputation but I also realize it can come in handy at times. I have never looked to buy anything from it though. A few months ago I placed a used car on there for sale along with some pics. Nothing unusual about it. Within a couple days Craigslist flagged and removed it. Their notice to me admits that sometimes posts are removed by mistake. Well, yesterday I put a Poulan chain saw on the free section saying the first to e-mail me can have it if they pick it up. I must have received 20 e-mails within 30 minutes. I was able to arrange someone to pick it up so no problem. I even went back and edited the original post saying the saw had been claimed. I didn't delete it just yet so those waiting to hear from me could see it was claimed. I then received the same flagged/remove notice from CL. Any idea what is happening?

I've bought several things off Craigslist. My '84 for one and a Lincoln Towncar also.

The thing I am seeing here is that there are a few "Trolls" that have something for sale and they flag all the other posts that have a similar item. It happens all the time.

It's a rare occasion that CL would actually remove a listing It would more likely that other users are flagging your post.

The best practice is once you have sold or given away an item.....just delete the post from the board. That stops the calls and flagging.

CL used to be a decent site but it's going downhill fast. More scams and BS than I've ever seen before.

Mike

Interesting that that's happened to you. As pointed out, If they're getting pulled it's because someone is flagging them.

I drive about 1/3 of my business from a free craigslist ad that I re-post every 30 days or so. I've never had a post pulled.

I do wonder how they pay their bills. I'd gladly pay for advertising with them (they are by far my most successful advertising) but they don't have such a thing as a paid ad.:think:

Interesting that that's happened to you. As pointed out, If they're getting pulled it's because someone is flagging them.

I drive about 1/3 of my business from a free craigslist ad that I re-post every 30 days or so. I've never had a post pulled.

I do wonder how they pay their bills. I'd gladly pay for advertising with them (they are by far my most successful advertising) but they don't have such a thing as a paid ad.:think:

It's my understanding the Ebay owns about 25% of Craigslist, and they also have a fee real estate/apartment rental site in the New York City area that pays the frieght. They also have a few folks that work for cheap.

I use CL for buying and selling. Not very often, but enough to know the ins and outs. Scams are getting worse, but easy to recognize.

I had one ammo wanted ad flagged over and over again by one jerk, so I just kept relisting it again as soon as the email flag notice was received. Since I had more time on my hands then he did, I wore him out. Got some great deals on rifle ammo and reloading equipment off CL. I think most of the flags are from 'pseuso' dealers who can't stand the competition.

When I was selling a car on CL for 500.00 I got tons of calls. Does this work, does that work, etc. I thought the ad was pretty specific as to what works and what the car looked like. Maybe 20 calls and only 1 finally showed up. I got to a point where I said that its a 500 buck car, what do you expect? It ran good, very good tires but the paint was faded and the a/c no longer worked. Ended up selling it to a neighbor for the price. That was in 2007 and its still running well.

Sold a TV and washer/dryer as well on CL. That went relatively well.

Also listed my 20" flat panel PC moniter for 50 bucks the other day. Now for some reason that brought out the fruitcakes and banana pies. Ended up selling it to someone at work.

I did list once about selling a 320 tape collection of VCR tapes. Only response was from someone from California who wanted to send me a certified check and send a courier over to pick them up......yea right. I may be old but not feeble minded.

It's my understanding the Ebay owns about 25% of Craigslist, and they also have a fee real estate/apartment rental site in the New York City area that pays the frieght. They also have a few folks that work for cheap.

I use CL for buying and selling. Not very often, but enough to know the ins and outs. Scams are getting worse, but easy to recognize.

I had one ammo wanted ad flagged over and over again by one jerk, so I just kept relisting it again as soon as the email flag notice was received. Since I had more time on my hands then he did, I wore him out. Got some great deals on rifle ammo and reloading equipment off CL. I think most of the flags are from 'pseuso' dealers who can't stand the competition.

Or gun control freaks

I have sold a number of things on CL. The only real hassle is sifting through the scams and BS you get.

I picked up a set of V and H longshot exhaust for my 1500 vulcan that were in like new shape for 50.00 and the guy met me so i didn't have to drive far to get them.

Sold campers, trucks and motorcycles on it and like I said except for the BS i like it.

I have bought and sold a handful of items including a few vehicles through C.L.

I took plenty of time to make my listings as complete as possible as well as including DECENT pictures of whatever it is I am trying to sell. I also use FULL grammatically correct sentences with out using 'text speak' or any junk like that. Lastly, when I do communicate with people I try to be very complete and informative in my responses while conveying that I do not have patience for B.S.

When selling vehicles I usually have a long talk with them to determine just how interested they are (and how interested I am in actually dealing with them) before setting up a meeting place and whatnot.

Overall I have no complaints about C.L. for the price we pay for it. In fact, I have used autotrader to sell a truck a while back and I think that I had more b.s./lowballer/crap calls on the truck from the autotrader ad than I did when I had it listed on C.L. :confused24:

Aside:

I had one ammo wanted ad flagged over and over again by one jerk, so I just kept relisting it again as soon as the email flag notice was received. ...

For what it is worth whoever was flagging you was right to do so. Attempting to sell or purchase firearms or ammunition through craigslist is against their guidelines.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited.items

Partial list of items for sale and services the advertisement of which is not permitted on craigslist:

Weapons and related items, including but not limited to firearms, disguised, undetectable or switchblade knives, martial arts weapons, scopes, silencers, ammunition, ammunition magazines, BB guns, tear gas or stun guns.

Whether I agree with it or not is besides the point.

Aside:

For what it is worth whoever was flagging you was right to do so. Attempting to sell or purchase firearms or ammunition through craigslist is against their guidelines.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited.items

Whether I agree with it or not is besides the point.

Perhaps you might want to re-read the CL prohibited link again. I don't know where you're reading the 'or purchasing' (sic) part of CL restrictions, but read my post again. It's a wanted ad. Not selling anything. So it doesn't fall under the craigslist prohibited items. Until they change their policy I have every right to place the ad.