IGNORED

Digital Torque Wrench Shopping

1joeranger

I've had one of those for about 10 years now. I have had it recalibrated twice, and once it had to be rebuilt due to my own doing. It is not covered under the Craftsman lifetime warranty, since it is "digital". All in all a good hobby mechanic's wrench.

I bought a inch/pound MAC tools torque wrench off craigslist, and took it to the mac's truck, when I saw it at the local workshop, and got it back calibrated, serviced, cleaned. It's an obvious better choice for a more serious user.

Ex

I have the 1/2" drive model and like it a lot.

I dropped it on the handle end once and broke it.

I took it to a store and there was a young lass operating the cash register so I gave her my torque wrench. She gave me a new one. After the fact I find out that Craftsman's measuring tools are covered by a 90 day warranty which had long expired when I took it in....

I got lucky.

BUT I just went to Sears' web site and read the tool warranty HERE.

they don't talk about torque wrenches so it looks to me like it is covered under this excerpt

All Other Hand Tools

WARRANTY POLICY

If this Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, it will be repaired or

replaced free of charge.

But if I read the warranty HERE I get a different answer...... strange.....

Craftsman MicroTork, DigiTork, MicroClick, DigiClick Torque Wrenches

FOR ONE YEAR from the date of purchase, this product is warranted against any defects in material or workmanship. A defective product will receive free repair or replacement if repair is unavailable.

If this product needs re-calibration within ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, it will be re-calibrated free of charge. After 90 days you must pay for re-calibration.

This warranty is void if this product is ever used while providing commercial services or if rented to another person.

WARRANTY SERVICE

To obtain warranty coverage, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased for repair, replacement or recalibration.

Edited by KiteSquid

Guest PlaneCrazy

I've got Snap-On 1/4" and 3/8" drive "click" type torque wrenches. They seem to hold up well if you make sure to always release the tension on them after each use (and don't drop them, lol).

One thing to remember with whatever torque wrench you use... if you are not getting it calibrated at least once per year, then you may as well not be using one. I use my torque wrenches at work as well as home so legally I am required to show proof of calibration since I work on civil aircraft, but my company pays for the calibration so that's not a hassle. Even so, they usually require small adjustments each year and my 1/4" has already had the guts replaced when it went out of cal beyond what was adjustable and it is only 9 or 10 years old and very well taken care of.

I have quite a few torque wrenches ranging from 1/4 inch, in/lb to 3/4 inch ft/lb click type and a couple of dial type. My latest aquisitions are a 3/8 and 1/2 snap on electronic. The nice thing with the electronic is you can set them for n/m, in/lb, ft/lb or degrees. it will also record the amount of torque you just applied and for degree torque you do not need to make it in one full pull. it allows you to make several small pulls when in tight places and adds it up until yo reach your desired degree, as long as you do not pause too long between pulls.