IGNORED

Ordered F4 Windshield

I hope this helps anyone getting ready to order a windshield. This is just info.

I ordered an F4 17 1/2 extra wide "no vent" last week and it came last week. Fast shipping:cool10: A mistake was made and they sent me a windshield with a vent hole but no vent. I called and they said they will ship me another one and they would pay for shipping both ways.:cool10: So far so good. I got my windshield yesterday with in three days and installed it today.

Now comes the info for those looking for a new shield. I had ordered 3 years ago a Wide Yamaha shield. It was too tall for me so I cut it down to 17". The measurement was from right behind the gas cap straight up to the top of the windshield. I could see over the windshield with about 3" to spare. I liked it.:) I am 5'10 1/2"

If you look at Yamaha's windshields in their book, you will notice they have a black haze at the bottom. That is there for a reason. I know this because. The F4 that I installed today doesn't have that feature. With out it you can see down behind the windshield and see stuff you ought not to see even with the chrome piece installed. I took the chrome back off a took a black magic marker "for now" and colored the bottom and it helped. Come spring, I will mask and paint it or what ever?

Also the 17 1/2 shield now measures 22" high form behind the gas cap to top of windshield. It is also 1 1/4 wider each side than Yamaha's extra wide shield. This may not be the so called "right way" to measure but, it will let you know how I measured mine and I was happy with the 17".

I will have to wait until the weather breaks here in Michigan before I will know if I like it or not. I already miss the black haze at the bottom and I can always cut the shield down if I don't like looking through it.

Just food for thought.

I painted the bottom part of my windshield with Krylon Fusion, and made for plastic ..it looks great.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpyej-gQlq6FJUWY2vn4e4Ht12qnlPfvpDtleT8nRRlXEpDaq3

Thanks for the info.

When I made a comment about wipers on an F4 windshield Dave Frank V.P. F4 sent me a pm right away. That was very cool. So I know they sometimes watch this site. You might want to e-mail him a link to this post. It sounds like something they could easily accommodate at the factory. Also Yamaha specifies measuring the windshield from in front of the gas cap to the top of the windshield. It wouldn't hurt for them to clear this up in their spec sheet.

Mike

I painted the bottom part of my windshield with Krylon Fusion, and made for plastic ..it looks great.

I was going to say not to forget to rough up the plastic with 00 steel wool for the paint to adhere to better.. but they show their demo with 00 steel wool swiping the windshield to demonstrate their anti scratch abilities.. lol..

A little roughing at the bottom where you plan to paint will help the paint stick even better.

I'm waiting for them to ship to Canada so I can order one..

In my opinion, the air buffeting is just a little less, but I haven't been on any LONG rides yet. As for keeping the wind off your hands, I don't think it made any difference.

I might catch that occasional BUG from splatting across your hand though (not all of them, but a few more anyway).

But all in all, I am VERY happy with my F4 shield. It IS DEFINITELY more optically clear. It can use RainX L(which I understand the Clearview does also), but most importantly, it is shatter resistant!!

Wally

But all in all, I am VERY happy with my F4 shield. It IS DEFINITELY more optically clear. It can use RainX L(which I understand the Clearview does also), but most importantly, it is shatter resistant!!

Wally

The Clearview does take RainX but it's acrylic.. the F4 is polycarbonate (?) which is shatter resistant.. Seeing how many bird strikes I take a year.. this might be a wise purchase..

Seaking

I thought I was going to have to replace my windshield last June but was able to cut it down enough to remove the bad scratch. I was in touch with F4 at that time as well as a distributor in Ontario and they were both able to get one moving for me....maybe something has changed since then but it may be worth getting in touch with them anyway.

Keith

TJ;

Does the wider windshield keep the wind off of your hands/fingers when riding?

Why did you opt out of the vent? Just curious...

Thanks!

I haven't had a chance to try it out because I live in Michigan and it keeps :snow2: I won't find out till spring time or some nicer weather comes around.

I just don't think my bike would look good with a vent. Just my preference on looks. Nothing wrong with those that have them, just me wanting the older traditional look.

I just don't think my bike would look good with a vent. Just my preference on looks. Nothing wrong with those that have them, just me wanting the older traditional look.

I have the vent on my Clearview Tall&Wide windscreen to be honest I really can't see or feel any differences when it's open or closed.. Just me I guess..