IGNORED

Don't run a red light if you live here...

SilvrT

There is not a passive system that can possibly work.

There was an article in one of the older car magazines where the did some testing of "Radar Jammers" some of them actually increased the distance at which the police radar could get a sped lock.

It would take an active system that actually transmits a signal, and that is very illegal, any company that tried to make such a device would be shut down real quick.

Now Laser, that is a different story. There is no law (that I am aware of) that says that you can not have some blinking IR LEDs on the front of your vehicle.

Aren't "red light cameras" more properly called "yellow Light cameras?" even if triggered by the car being in the intersection when it turns red, you must pay attention to the yellow!

There are some lights, say where speed limits are 55 mph (sorry, Canadians, I am a metric impaired Amurican!) :starz: and if it turns yellow just when you are at the go-no go point, you either get into the ABS and risk a rear end collision (or loss of control on wet slick roads) or will probably have part of the car in the intersection when it turns red.

Luckily, in my part of the US, near Peoria, IL, we don't have any of these cameras yet. (that I know of).

I am NOT in favor of trying to beat the lights, but sometimes, you just get caught at the exact wrong moment. I have noticed that lately, if I go through on the yellow, thinking "that was too close to the red", that there is usually one or two cars SEVERAL car lengths behind me that follow me through! They are for sure going through on almost ALL red.

Drive/ride safe out there folks, the life you save may be mine or my kids/grandkids (or yourself!).

• 1 month later...
Aren't "red light cameras" more properly called "yellow Light cameras?" even if triggered by the car being in the intersection when it turns red, you must pay attention to the yellow!

There are some lights, say where speed limits are 55 mph (sorry, Canadians, I am a metric impaired Amurican!) :starz: and if it turns yellow just when you are at the go-no go point, you either get into the ABS and risk a rear end collision (or loss of control on wet slick roads) or will probably have part of the car in the intersection when it turns red.

Luckily, in my part of the US, near Peoria, IL, we don't have any of these cameras yet. (that I know of).

I am NOT in favor of trying to beat the lights, but sometimes, you just get caught at the exact wrong moment. I have noticed that lately, if I go through on the yellow, thinking "that was too close to the red", that there is usually one or two cars SEVERAL car lengths behind me that follow me through! They are for sure going through on almost ALL red.

Drive/ride safe out there folks, the life you save may be mine or my kids/grandkids (or yourself!).

According to the police here, they are a red light cam, not a yellow light cam, the pic is snapped after youre through the intersection and the pic shows your car AND the red light at the same time, so its pretty tuff to argue with it when you see your car and the red together in the same frame. (dont ask...)

AND there has been an increase in rear end accidents but they say that is safer than the tbone style accidents.

Brian

Where do you get the idea that it's FREE??

If that's true then we've all been getting ripped off!

In fact, we all have to pay monthly premiums, just like any other Insurance. Additionally, it only covers the basics and for a lot of things, we have to pay extra. Those of us who are lucky enough to work for a company that has a Group Insurance plan get additional coverage but we still wind up having to pay partially coz the plans don't always cover 100%.

Move to Sask, I dont pay any monthly fees for health care, and it covers everything cept meds, and even that I dont pay after my deductible is reached.

Brian

Those are traffic monitor cameras, not red light cameras, the video quality is way to low to get a license plate from. Red light cameras do not shoot video, they shoot stills.

Those cars would all have run the light and crashed whether the camera was there or not. They simply were not paying attention.

I do not see that as an argument for red light cameras. I do not have a big problem with a PROPERLY implemented red light camera, way to many cities change the light to a short yellow to use the cam as a cash generator.

Move to Sask, I dont pay any monthly fees for health care, and it covers everything cept meds, and even that I dont pay after my deductible is reached.

Brian

Give up Brian .... ain't no way nohow I'll move to that flat, frozen land LOL. If I move anywhere, it will be south of here .... far, far south ... like maybe Los Osos area .... really like it down there.