IGNORED

Need to cover small dent in tank.

Hi all, I have a 2000 venture with a couple small dents in the tank. How they got there is beyond me? The first dent is about 1" away from the center black strip edge running down the middle of the tank. The second small dent is about 2" away from the center strip edge. The dents are located on the right hand side of the tank maybe 10" up from the seat. My questions are, is there a bib available? or would a tank bib from a tour deluxe work? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

From your desciption of the dents, and the location, you could try a heat gun and compressed air.

Not sure where you are located, so don't know if you are done for the winter or still riding. But the first thing you need to do is drain the tank and give it time to vent the fumes.

Then using a heat gun, warm the area of the dent. Be careful you don't get it hot enough to damage the paint. Then after it is warmed, take a can of compressed air and blow it onto the surface of the tank around the dent. This fill cause contraction which may pop the dent.

Harbor Freight also sells a home dent remover tool which works very well on small dents.

As for the cause.... If you are in Ak or LA, maybe some of those suicidal Red Wing Blackbirds decided to make their exit via your fuel tank...

Good luck with the dent removal effort

Sometimes a little dry ice works. I have used it to pop car door dents out. It shrinks the metal and often works pretty good. Occasionally some paint will chip off. Usually a repaint. But not often. I have never tried it on a bike though. Anybody got an old dented tank lying around they want to do a little experimenting on?

Mike

Are the G2 tanks a double wall or single wall tank? If theyre single wall wouldnt taking it to one of those paintless dent repair places work? They took a sharp edge door ding outta my car a while back for about 50 bucks just by using curved rods.

Brian

Had a dent guy look at it. Can't get under the fuel neck. I think I'm going to run two chrome tape strips 5/8" wide, one on each side of center. It will cover two of the deeper dings. The other two aren't so bad. Maybe a creative sticker. LOL.

Had a dent guy look at it. Can't get under the fuel neck. I think I'm going to run two chrome tape strips 5/8" wide, one on each side of center. It will cover two of the deeper dings. The other two aren't so bad. Maybe a creative sticker. LOL.

http://www.timberwolfleather.com/category_18/YAMAHA-ITEMS.htm

Check this place out. He used to make them for the RSV. I have one on mine. Should cover thise dents. Contact him. Maybe he has some left or can make one for you. Very nice product.:smile5: