IGNORED

Blown High Beam

Just noticed yesterday that my high beam is no longer working. I'm assuming that this is not a fuse issue as the low beam is still working, so will someone please direct this dumba$$ as to how to change out the bulb! I checked the 2nd Gen Tech Library and didn't find anything.

Thanks.

Signed,

Dumba$$

:confused24:

The high and low beams are fused seperatly so it could be a fuse. If it is the bulb it can be changed by reaching up under the fairing and then there is a wire type fastener holding the bulb in after you pull the wire plug and rubber boot off. Be carefull and do not touch the glass on the new bulb or it will burn out right away.

As was stated above, the 2nd gen headlight can be changed from behind the fairing. It takes an H4 bulb. If you are going to change (sounds like you will be), I suggest going with a Silverstar Ultra. It costs a few dollars more, but you will be pleasantly surprised by the increased light output.

You will likely find, unless you have really small hands, it is easier to pop off the fairing and get to the headlight from the front. I've had my fairing off so many times it is quicker that way for me.

RR

Ok, I see them under H4, but even with the H4 there are catalog numbers; 9004, 9003, 9006 etc.

Any help here...getting ready to pull the fairing off and would love to UPGRADE the bulb.

Pulling the fairing off is simple enough and would allow you time to survey under the hood so to speak..

Once you have it off, you can readily access the light to change out the bulb, simple enough.

Thanks. I was the fuse, but I'm going to change out the bulb anyway. I appreciate the info.

Signed, Not-Such-A-Dumba$$-Anymore

lol.. the first time you do anything to this bike, the average guy will feel like "what the heck do I do and how?!".. but once you did it a few times it's simple..

Fuel filter is a perfect example.. I know a lot of guys who won't tackle it because it seems so daunting to them.. but I dive in there, rip it out shove a new one in in less than 15 minutes.. but they would take hours at it..

Although I've taken this bike apart several times, I still had to ask around about the little tricks to change out my rear shock.. Not a Dumb Ass.. just wise to ask around for help.. =)

Pulling the fairing off is simple enough and would allow you time to survey under the hood so to speak..

Once you have it off, you can readily access the light to change out the bulb, simple enough.

Yeah...pulling the fairing is easy. I was talking about getting the exact bulb. The Silverstone Ultra H4 bulb has several different catalog numbers.

A link would be GREAT. :fingers-crossed-emo

Yeah...pulling the fairing is easy. I was talking about getting the exact bulb. The Silverstone Ultra H4 bulb has several different catalog numbers.

A link would be GREAT.

Sorry about that.. I run with HID lighting instead.. not sure which Silverstone would work best for our bikes.

BC guys sells HID kits that works GREAT in our bikes, easy to install, around $70 delivered and strongly reliable light.. Been running it 30,000 + miles at least now, no issues, no problems. Insanely bright..

Seaking...enlighten me. Difference between the Silverstone and HID?

SilverStar has a filament just like any other incandescent light bulb. The HID (High intensity discharge) bulb does not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

Our bikes take the 9003

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=427889&highlight=9003#post427889

Thanks. I was the fuse, but I'm going to change out the bulb anyway. I appreciate the info.

Signed,

Not-Such-A-Dumba$$-Anymore

:thumbsup2:

Since you found that a fuse was blown, it would be a good idea to look farther into the reason the fuse failed.

Motorcycle circuits generally have a very consistent load on a given circuit. This is unlike a house fuse that may blow because of a toaster plugged into a circuit that is already near capacity.

Also, what fuse did you replace? I am only seeing one fuse in the headlight circuit that controls both the high and low beam in the wiring diagram. Also, the owners manual only shows one fuse. (15 amp fuse in fuse box 2)

Gary

Since you found that a fuse was blown, it would be a good idea to look farther into the reason the fuse failed.

Motorcycle circuits generally have a very consistent load on a given circuit. This is unlike a house fuse that may blow because of a toaster plugged into a circuit that is already near capacity.

Also, what fuse did you replace? I am only seeing one fuse in the headlight circuit that controls both the high and low beam in the wiring diagram. Also, the owners manual only shows one fuse. (15 amp fuse in fuse box 2)

Gary

Gary: to clarify, it was not the headlight fuse that blew, it was the 12v aux fuse (5 amp) that was blown, due to an overload from a 12v air compressor that I used. Won't do that again! (My head is somewhat fuzzy from last night's festivities.) :starz: You are correct - - their is only one 15amp fuse that I'm aware of for the headlight, and that one is OK, so I'm replacing the bulb. Finally got it out after splitting the fairing, but can't get a new one until tomorrow. In the meantime, I've been cleaning, checking connections, and just tinkering to learn as much as I can about all the crapola "under the hood".

BC guys sells HID kits that works GREAT in our bikes, easy to install, around $70 delivered and strongly reliable light.. Been running it 30,000 + miles at least now, no issues, no problems. Insanely bright..

OK...Seaking I just checked out some of the reviews of the Silverstar and while everyone is very impressed with their intensity and the broadness of that intensity, the BIG HIT it takes on the Silverstar is how long they last, some reviews talk about ridiculously short times that those bulbs will last.

Anway...in your post you said "BC guys" sells these. Is that a store or a member here?

Wally

In case anyone is interested or has never split their fairing before, here are some pics I took today while getting to the lamp. It's incredible how dirty it can get under the hood! So it gave me a chance to do some cleaning and inspect all the connections.

The Silverstar has lasted for at least 2 years and about 40,000 miles - so far. Although, I do carry the original bulb as a backup.

The HID really throws out a lot of light. Have had some problems with it failing to re-ignite after the starter button has been hit. It seems starting the bike will drop the voltage low enough to extinguish the HID and it may not re-ignite. Have send my ballast back to to the HID guys for a replacement.

Will reinstall the HID when the new ballast comes in - but with a relay and switch to start it up rather than the ignition switch. That should take care of the problem.

I will then be carrying the Silverstar as an emergency replacement.

RR

I believe the HID website being referred to is: www.canadiancruisercustomizing.com

Link to 35W HID: http://tinyurl.com/24nznzn

I'm on my second Canadian HID setup. The first had some problem and was grounding out to the headlight bucket somehow. Sent it back and ordered another one. They didnt refund or offer any help. Got the second one in now. Extremely bright. Side by side with my sons Venture it over powers his by a lot. I have the same problem with it starting up. It may or it may not. Have to start the bike and then look to see if its on. I ran a direct power supply to the battery and followed the instructions. I still like it enough to keep trying to get it to come on when I start the bike cause it is that much brighter.