IGNORED

Looking for some help:

Guest black knight

Guest black knight

Hi everyone, I need some direction regarding a possible solution to a couple of problems I have with the Venture (2006).

1) I would like to know if there is a way to get more bottom end power from the venture, I would like it to have a little more snap out of the hole, it seems you need to get high into the revs before it wakes up.

2) I find the venture to be top heavy and tippy, is there an air suspension that can be lowered when you get on and are moving the bike around and push button raised when you are ready to ride. I am looking for a two inch drop.

I love my bike but these two issues bother me as I have just about dropped the bike on myself numerous times while rolling it around the garage, any help would be appreciated folks.

thank you.

first question is the low speed handling situation. Many here have changed the front tire size to the MT90-16 in the Avon AM41 ot equivilent. That will make the bike turn much better. Like taking 150lb right off the bike.

On the second part to get the snap you want a few here have changed the rear end ratio and I plan to do this myself too. Going with the V-Max ratio set up will give you a better ratio and allow faster pickup and a better range so that in 5th gear you wont bog as much. The bike likes to ride at higher RPM and really labors if you keep it under 3500 rpm. I think Freebird will jump in on this as he was the first to do this change. Blue Ridge will do rear swapouts for $300 and your rear as a core when you replace it. The unit comes ready to bolt on and is easy to change after the bike is lifted and the rear wheel removed.

Hi everyone, I need some direction regarding a possible solution to a couple of problems I have with the Venture (2006).

1) I would like to know if there is a way to get more bottom end power from the venture, I would like it to have a little more snap out of the hole, it seems you need to get high into the revs before it wakes up.

2) I find the venture to be top heavy and tippy, is there an air suspension that can be lowered when you get on and are moving the bike around and push button raised when you are ready to ride. I am looking for a two inch drop.

I love my bike but these two issues bother me as I have just about dropped the bike on myself numerous times while rolling it around the garage, any help would be appreciated folks.

thank you.

1. I'm sure you'll get a lot of tips on this... one would probably be changing the rear end to a Vmax.

2. Somewhere in here I came across a link to a company that makes "training" type wheels for Wings. You know like training wheels on a bicycle. They raise or lower by a flip of a switch...there was a video of them.... thought those to be really cool.

The V Max rear gear swap helps a lot. Other than that there's not much to be done for lower rpm power. The V4 engine likes to rev up, that's just the way it is. Freebird was far from the first one to do this swap. People have been doing this since '96 when the Royal Star first came out. I did mine two years ago, shortly after getting the bike. He was the first one around here who got anyone to listen to him about it. If you happen to have access to a machine shop, you can make the V Max rear gear and housing work for a whole lot less than Sportmax gets for it. Machine the boss flat and bore a hole for the speedo sensor, and bore and tap a hole for the mounting bolt. Then unscrew the shock mount bolt, and it's ready to go.

There is no adjustable suspension for this bike. About all you can do is lower it and let that be it. I would start by lowering the front. It's not hard, and doing the front is free, but it takes a while to get to the front shock tube bolts.

I got some good gains in low end torque with my '01 RSV. I installed Harley Road King mufflers with both baffles drilled out. Then I re-jetted the carbs...went up one size on each main jet, and replaced the stock 15 pilot jet on each carb with a 17.5 pilot jet. Also adjusted the pilot screws (idle mixture). I had very snappy throttle response, from right off idle. Smoother low end cruising. More power all around. MPG's went from mid 40's to low 40's. there is an article in the 2nd gen tech library on how to re-jet your carbs...not very hard to do if you have a little mechanical ability.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7830

--------------------

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=502

------------------

I can give you the Yamaha part numbers for the jets if you want them. I order the jets from an online vendor, not very expensive.

http://www.zanottimotor.com/

And the Harley RK mufflers sound great.

-----------------

OK, if anyone wants to do this, you need:

4 pilot jets 17.5 part number 4KM-14142-17-00

2 main jets 125 part number 3G2-14231-25-00

--------------

By the way, I didn't shim the carb needles as it says in the article. I tried it and all it seemed to do was lower the mpg's. So I put the needles back to stock (no shims) and got some mpg's back, and no noticable change in power.

Guest black knight

Thanks very much guys, I will continue to read all your responses and use the information to make a proper decision. It is great to have people on here who are willing to help each other out. As far as lowering the bike, my concern is it will ride too low and then drag on speed bumps ect, anyone here lowered their bike and how did it work out for you.

thanks again everyone.