IGNORED

How do you remove the headlight bulb or how do you get to it?

I'm trying to take out my headlight bulb to replace it but I can't figure how to reach it. I've read the manual, read some of the posts and am still confused.

Do you reach it from the front side or the back side? The front headlight assembly has one screw at the bottom. If you remove this does it allow you to slide out the headlight assembly and access to the bulb or do you try to reach in from the back amidst the maize of wires and try to access it from there?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Chris

If you are talking about an RSV, if you have small arms and hands, you can change it with out spliting the fairing, but spliting the fairing is not that big a deal, so that is probably the best way to go.

:lightbulb:BTW would be a good opportunity to pull all the connectors apart so you can put di-electric grease in them.

The one screw below the headlight is removed when taking the fairing off. The chrome ring around the headlight is part of the fairing. So don't try to pull it off. It will not give you access to the headlight. The headlight looks like a sealed beam but it is not. Turn the front wheel to one side. The bulb can be accessed in front of the gas tank. There is a snap ring kind of a bulb holder. Remove it and then remove the bulb.

Mike

OK, thanks everyone for the information. Here is my take so far combing what I have read searching under "headlight replacement" and the information from you guys.

First, my hands are way to small and my older grandson wants waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money to attempt to do it for me. My younger grandson is willing to do it; but on the way to the bulb housing he would no doubt get distracted and end up disconnecting several critical components along the way, pulling out a handful of spaghetti like wiring and saying, "Papa, did I do it righ?" to which I would reply, yes, yes that's good, now please come out and let Papa try again. To which he would reply, "Papa, why are you crying?":crying:

But I digress...

When I go in from the left side, I can only just get my fingers on the bulb housing but I can't apply any force.

I notice that there is a rubber seal/something?? all around the bulb itself. Does this have to be removed first?

BrakePad in your picture what does image one represent? My understanding is it is the back of the bulb with the three wires coming off or out of it.

In your instructions you state, "Review the plug wiring and then go in with your right hand and pull it out? Pull what out? Is this the rubber gasket that is around the bulb that has to be pulled out?

In image two you are applying the prongs of the bent coat hanger to the edges of the headlight clamp and then I assume you turn it CCW 90 degrees but you state to press inward with the coat hanger and then pull back. Again, I still don't see what you do with the rubber gasket/ring/whatever. Do you first have to remove the rubber moulding and how do you remove it?

Here is my understanding

1) Pull off rubber gasket/seal/moulding/whatever Does it come straight off or do you have to turn it in a specific direction?

2)Use coat hanger prongs to press inward then pull back. This releases the bulb and it's housing.

3) carefully pull back and expose bulb.

4) remove existing bulb replace with new bulb.

5) put back in.

6) use coat hanger prongs to press spring back in place. Do you have to twist it at all? I have read in manual and from several posts that something (I asume this spring clip needs to be rotated CCW 90 degrees to remove and then rotated 90 degrees CW to replace?

Boy this sounds like quite the process just to replace a simple headlight bulb.

Thank you for your help and additional comments.

:bang head:

BrakePad in your picture what does image one represent? My understanding is it is the back of the bulb with the three wires coming off or out of it.

Yes, this is the wiring for the lamp, you must turn it counter clockwise, to remove it

In your instructions you state, "Review the plug wiring and then go in with your right hand and pull it out? Pull what out? Is this the rubber gasket that is around the bulb that has to be pulled out?

"Review the plug wiring and then go in with your right hand as your not going to be able to look in because your hand will be in the way. this is for part 1 removal of wiring

Use the hanger in a pinching motion to sqeeze the two support wiring ends on the right side of the frame, you'll notice the left side has a hinge on it, so the wiring support does not fall off

You got a phone number I can call you on?

Edited by Brake Pad

Guest tx2sturgis

Yamaha held up a headlight bulb, then built a motorcycle around it.

I would just split the fairing and get to it that way. While your in there, you can do the connector maintenance, and use zip ties to tidy everything up.

It will take maybe a half hour, with probably zero frustration....UNLESS....you break the little tabs on the trim piece. Just be careful with it, dont force it, and all will be fine.