IGNORED

If you could trade your Venture for a Goldwing

zooer

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not want to stoke the fires. But I bought a 2000 HD Ultra-Classic in 1999. It was the most beautiful machine I ever saw. I was proud to pay $21,500 for it and add $3000 in chrome. I wish that was the end of the story. I ride a lot of miles a year and my new Ultra left me stranded in Dalla, TX at 1900 miles. Under warranty they replaced the stator. At 3100 miles it left me stranded in the Poconos, but they fixed it under warranty (stator). At 4900 miles I was left on the side of the road in St. Louis, MO (stator) but it was fixed under warranty. At 5800 miles I was again on the side of the road in Raleigh, NC (stator) but they repaired it under warranty. Guess what! At 7800 miles it left me on the road in my own town Charlotte, NC (stator). The dealer I bought it from would not come get it-I had to pay to get it to him. All the other times the dealers came and got the bike. The dealer told me it would be three weeks (what the F***). All the other HD dealers had me out at least overnight. "My sealing dealer had to build bikes for Myrtle Beach" is what I was told.

Now after all this...do you think I would keep this machine and ride it cross country? Hell NO. I got it fixed at another dealer and trailered it to a seller and told him to get rid of it.

I now have 135,000 miles on an 02 Royal Star Venture and never had a problem...not one.

:farmer:

WOW!!! Sounds like your Harley was a great bike to take a vacation on...WHILE YOU WERE ON VACATION ALREADY...you have alot more tenacity than I do to have kept it as long as you did and for that I do give you a tip of the helmet...Glad you finally got something you can actually ride and enjoy knowing that once you leave home, you'll probably make it back home without major interuptions

Y'all Ride Safe Now, Ya Hear?:Cartoon_397:

I do not want to stoke the fires. But I bought a 2000 HD Ultra-Classic in 1999. It was the most beautiful machine I ever saw. I was proud to pay $21,500 for it and add $3000 in chrome. I wish that was the end of the story. I ride a lot of miles a year and my new Ultra left me stranded in Dalla, TX at 1900 miles. Under warranty they replaced the stator. At 3100 miles it left me stranded in the Poconos, but they fixed it under warranty (stator). At 4900 miles I was left on the side of the road in St. Louis, MO (stator) but it was fixed under warranty. At 5800 miles I was again on the side of the road in Raleigh, NC (stator) but they repaired it under warranty. Guess what! At 7800 miles it left me on the road in my own town Charlotte, NC (stator). The dealer I bought it from would not come get it-I had to pay to get it to him. All the other times the dealers came and got the bike. The dealer told me it would be three weeks (what the F***). All the other HD dealers had me out at least overnight. "My sealing dealer had to build bikes for Myrtle Beach" is what I was told.

Now after all this...do you think I would keep this machine and ride it cross country? Hell NO. I got it fixed at another dealer and trailered it to a seller and told him to get rid of it.

I now have 135,000 miles on an 02 Royal Star Venture and never had a problem...not one.

I know how you feel. I bought my dream truck in 2008. It was a Dodge Ram Mega Cab with the Hemi and Laramie package. I gladly gave $50K for it. Then it ate a rear main seal at 3000 miles. Then another one at 6000 miles. It ate a third one at 9000 miles, and I traded it for a 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited. It went through three transmissions in the first 5000 miles. I took it after they fixed it for the third time, and drove straight to the Ford dealer and got a used F150. Never another problem. I can tell you that I will never own another Mopar. Does that mean all, or even most of their vehicles are like that? Of course not. Just like your experience with your HD doesn't mean that all or even most of their bikes are that way. Every once in a while you just get a lemon. I can easily find a thread on this forum where a guy is ready to trade his new Yamaha back in because it is giving him a huge headache. Doesn't mean all Yamahas are bad, just that he got a lemon.

I guess it just irritates me to no end to see someone dog a particular kind of bike based on one experience, or worse yet, no experience. The latter is almost always the case with HD. I can find infinitely more people that have went from another manufacturer to HD than from HD to another manufacturer. They are not the be all, end all in motorcycles, but they are not pure garbage, either (unless we are talking a AMF era bike). I also don't get where you guys are coming from on the pricing. MSRP on a new RSV is $18,500, and MSRP on a new Ultra Classic is $21,000. You'll give that much for the RSV (at least in my area they won't budge), but you could actually get the HD for about the same as the RSV, or slightly more. I can guarantee you that the HD will hold a much higher resale value than the RSV. But to some guys the RSV, or the older VR is the best bike ever made. That's cool. I just don't think the dogging of HD is necessary. I own both. Been around both brands for years. Like them both...but heck, I like them all.

MMMMMM Maybe... I'd like the one with the air bag. In my experience Yamaha and Honda both make excellent metric bikes. Honda's just way more expensive...

Can't help this feeling that ZOOER is fishing around for a bite to get someone here to trade bikes.:fishin:

Originally Posted by Sylvester viewpost.gif

What I'd really like to know is did the shops replace both the stator and voltage regulator? I've heard one, can take the other out and that they should be replaced together. 5 stators, going bad would indicate something other than the stator being the main culpret. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by CaptainJoe

What I'd really like to know is did the shops replace both the stator and voltage regulator? I've heard one, can take the other out and that they should be replaced together. 5 stators, going bad would indicate something other than the stator being the main culpret. Just my 2 cents.

How dare you interject common sense into this! It's all because it was a HD...nothing more!

:big-grin-emoticon:

MMMMMM Maybe... I'd like the one with the air bag. In my experience Yamaha and Honda both make excellent metric bikes. Honda's just way more expensive...

Can't help this feeling that ZOOER is fishing around for a bite to get someone here to trade bikes.:fishin:

No fishing here Capt. My wing is already up for sale, but not here on this forum. Just figured it was a good question and its gotten a lot of interesting responses. Looks like this forum has quite a few contented goldwing owner and I know why. :thumbsup2:

I would consider it, but never having ridden a GoldWing before, I would be trading a known good quantity for an unknown. Based on what I've heard from other GW riders, there are some things I'd like, and others I would not.

I'm very happy with the power and comfort of my 2004 RSV, but I think I'd like the ABS and reverse of the GW, as well as the extra charging system output.

This has been a fun topic to read. Entertaining for sure !

Before I bought my 09 RSV I took the HD Ultra Ltd and GW for comparison rides and choose the RSV. I'm coming from a 99 Virago 1100 and seating postion on the RSV suited me better than the GW. The HD was nice but didn't like all the vibration from the motor when stopped (and prefer shaft drive).

I'll admit the GW has a lot of advantages over the RSV (except I don't want ABS, don't care if it has FI... at 51yrs old the heated seat and grips are a nice idea).

For comparison dollar for dollar... in Canada comparing 2010 models

GL 1800 AL $29,999 (add cb and you are up to $31,237)

HD Electra Glide Ultra Ltd - $24,699

RSV $23,299 (minus $4,500 in rebate = $18,799)

(2011 RSV S is $23,899 minus a $400 rebate = $23,499)

But how do you compare a 6cyl to a 4cyl to a twin or the different styles? Like comparing a Cadillac/Mustang/Corolla.

Creature comforts would be nice on the RSV but looking at the 2010's GW to RSV is a difference of $12.000 ! HD to RSV is a difference of $5,900 ! Bang for the buck the RSV is definitely the way to go !

For some, the name is important, others the price, others is riding comfort. Comes down to it doesn't matter what you ride or what you think of someone else's ride.... just as long as we are riding ! Each to his own.

Snowing here today.... 3 1/2 months to spring :-( Won't be riding here for a while. Have to go to the Toronto Motorcycle Show (biggest bike show in North America) in January for the safety chrome!

Originally Posted by Sylvester viewpost.gif

Yes they checked the voltage regulator on the first breakdown, then replaced it on the second, and then after that they checked everything they could but never found the problem. Ergo...get rid of it. I was told after I unloaded it that HD came out with a new stator and regulator assembly.

But had to pony up more money. That was May 5th or so this past summer. I trades an 08 rsv for an 07 Goldwing. Now most of you will notice I slipped back a year and still paid more. BUT it is a wing. Im too lazy to read back and find the guys name that beat the wing in such a condicending manner but I will say this guy is plain full of it. The wing is by far a superior bike. aminitys not with standing (I got navi ABS air bag the whole shootin match) I have to agree with the other guy(again to lazy to read back) Its like comparing a caddie and corrola. Both nice in thier own right but uniquie none the less. What have I learned in the 6 or so months of wing ownership? Shoulda done it sooner. But the RSV was a price point buy. I had a real problem with the extra 7 grand in sticker. But now I know those 7 grand have real value. It just ain't about it being more expensive. It's about what you get in exchange. The GL1800 has been reserched and updated since its release date. they have had thier problems but the have also had their problems corrected. to date I have put 19k on the wing without so much as hicup

same was true when I had a rsv no trouble. Tires and oil. Oh and a clutch at 60k but Yamaha warenteed it. no I have no beef with Yamaha they just don't build a wing.

That said I love my wing but I also loved my Venture. Trade back? Not on a cold day in hell. How many of you want a former spouse back?

Now get out and ride!:7_6_3[1]:

How many of you want a former spouse back?

How many of you want a former spouse back?

Wow Herb, what a statement and the best one ever said. Of course I won't let the commander in chief look at this site!

Its all about your individual body in my opinion. Both bikes, Venture and Wing are tops when it comes to reliable and comfort. But the comfort is limited by each individual. We've already seen here, tall people say they can't fit on a wing and tall people say its fine. Hummmmmm. Now I have to tell you, I have seen a guy 6'7 that would not fit the wing too well. If you put the right Highway pegs on, and that can be a touchy subject, then long haul leg position can be quite good. OH yeah, and heated grips, seats and toe warmer vents do feel good to the old folks!

But had to pony up more money. That was May 5th or so this past summer. I trades an 08 rsv for an 07 Goldwing. Now most of you will notice I slipped back a year and still paid more. BUT it is a wing. Im too lazy to read back and find the guys name that beat the wing in such a condicending manner but I will say this guy is plain full of it. The wing is by far a superior bike. aminitys not with standing (I got navi ABS air bag the whole shootin match) I have to agree with the other guy(again to lazy to read back) Its like comparing a caddie and corrola. Both nice in thier own right but uniquie none the less. What have I learned in the 6 or so months of wing ownership? Shoulda done it sooner. But the RSV was a price point buy. I had a real problem with the extra 7 grand in sticker. But now I know those 7 grand have real value. It just ain't about it being more expensive. It's about what you get in exchange. The GL1800 has been reserched and updated since its release date. they have had thier problems but the have also had their problems corrected. to date I have put 19k on the wing without so much as hicup

same was true when I had a rsv no trouble. Tires and oil. Oh and a clutch at 60k but Yamaha warenteed it. no I have no beef with Yamaha they just don't build a wing.

That said I love my wing but I also loved my Venture. Trade back? Not on a cold day in hell. How many of you want a former spouse back?

I have no probem with the Wing, I have had a couple over the years. I like the simplicity of a bike without too much amenities. I never use my CB, I rarely use the cruise and I don't like the ABS. That being said I think the GW has a definite place for many riders.

• 7 months later...

I guess this is not an apples to apples comparison since I have a RSTD, but I have owned a GL1500 (90) and a GL1200(85).

I really did enjoy both of those bikes but I tend to agree with most folks here that the riding position is MUCH better on the RSTD.

The RSTD is much smoother in the parking lot and stop lights, both Gold wings were abrupt in 1st gear.

I felt like the GW was more nimble once under way, but I'm not into dragging pegs/boards on every corner. The RSTD felt very comfortable to me right way.

My wife wants a trunk on the RSTD (I know why didn't I buy a RSV) and we both agree that the looks are much better, not just a little.

So I guess my answer would be no, but really if someone offer me a straight up deal for my RSTD for a GL1800 then I would be a fool if I did not take it.

Ride the GW a while, and then trade it for the next generation Venture.

I've been to a few GoldThing ™ rallies and I noticed this too.

Teddy bears ...........actually not as many teddy bears...thats the only difference!

Now be nice....I did notice a few teddy bears at Don's MD!

• 3 months later...

If the Venture is in any kind of shape, I would most definitely prefer the Venture. It is a lighter bike, more power, much sportier looking, and in my humble opinion, the classier bike.

But then, that is me.

Best luck in whatever you decide.

Wiggyii