IGNORED

veterans hospitial

oldgoat

ok any one know of this one in IOWA . i have to go there tomorrow.

i have been fighting a military injury for ten years now. mostly to get them to own up to it.. and get some help . i have heard good things about this place. im going in for a brain scan. to see if my MS could be caused by a chemical spill that happened when a 6x6 over turned in our convoy. till this day i do not know what was in them barrels?

this happend back in 82. and i didnt think nothing of it untill 1994 when they found out i have MS and some nerve and neuro damage. with the interferon shots for the MS weekly i do ok. but do due then good old economy and health care BS medicade and medicare are trying to cut off this medication. reason is it cost $1200.00 a month and i will need it for rest of my life. there saying theres a cheaper pill out there i will take everyday. and its around $550.00 a month. now im getting tired of who can and who cant controll my treatment. i dont want something that might not work when these shots are doing the trick.

and i for one dont think a vet should be treated like a lab rat.

if it aint broke dont mess with it. thats how i think.

i guess im a lucky one i could be one of the 1000.s of homeless vets around this state.

its hard to say im on ssdi and cant work like i use too. $750.00 a month plus being forced to get food stamps. makes me feel less like a man. sometimes i think of what my friend went through when he decided it aint worth it no more. then i see my daughter and great niece and family and just keep on keeping on. i now think when i get up every day insted of saying F it i place my feet on the floor when i roll out of bed and look up and say thank you. for one more day.

Oldgoat,

Sorry to hear about your condition, I live in Iowa and have never been in the VA hospital in Iowa City. But I have, and do know of Vet's that have been there, and are going on a regular basis. I have never heard any, BAD things just the "normal" complaints you always hear about hospitals.

Here is a link to the hospital. All the best to you and are prayers are with you.

Bryan

Old Goat I'm a Disabled Vet. I go to a VA hospital in Ga. They will treat you well. I have not had one bad experience in going to the VA for treatment. They are great people and will treat with respect and kindness! Good Luck my friend.

If you have any problems, ask to speak to the Patient Services Representative. Their job is to help resolve issues.

Also check with the Veterans Service Organizations. You "may" be entitle to a VA pension benefit based on income. Good Luck!

I know a few people that have MS and it's certainly a terrible disease. I likely don't know what I'm talking about and you likely already have done this; find out the name of the meds they want you to use and then surf the web for any info, side effects, test results, etc...

Just a thought?

Go to http://www.hadit.com It's the best place on the net for first hand vet knowledge on all things VA.

If it's any consolation, I suffered a spinal cord injury on active duty in 1994. I finally convinced them to approve me at 100% permanent and total in 2008. It is a hard fight, but it is worth fighting. Look me up over there and I'll see if I can't give you some help on your claim.

No personal info on the Iowa VAMC, but good luck with the appt.

well at 7:30 am the test started in comes a doctor who says ok ready for this dye?

dye what dye? next thing i know he shoots this in my IV wow what a nice fast hot rush. 20 minutes latter i complain i got a bad headache. he says thats good?

now we will put you in this machine to start the scan. ok if any one has been in one of these. i felt like he just placed me in a long white coffin. then he said lets get er done.. im still complaining about the headache now i get to hear bang bang bang noise. its the machine. now my head is realy pounding. one hour latter im out of that machine. this realy nice nurse shoots something into my IV half hour latter headache is going away. then i get a nice hot turkey over mashed taters and gravy.mmmmmmmm good. i asked for coffee she said no way. it will bring on another headache. so ice cold milk.

now i have to say that place treat vets like there number one. i went by a vet bus. from Lasalle IL but when i went to leave i got a check for $40 travel expense?

now the wait for the results to be sent for possible connection of the injury and MS

James-

We wish you the best on treating this. Our 21 year old son was diagnosed with MS two years ago, we understand the high cost of medication! He is on Copaxone (one shot a day) and it's nearly $3,000.00 a month. Because he is old enough, we were able to enroll him in the state sponsered health insurance ($350.00/mo). He doesn't earn much so, the state pays 25% of the premium. After the deductible ($500.00), the policy pays 100% of the medication because injectibles are considered medical treatment not prescriptions (once the out of pocket is met). Again because he doesn't earn much, the medication company has a program to assist and they pay most of the out of pocket portion. Something worth checking on in your home state (insurance) and your doctor (patient assistance program).

I would be interested in knowing the oral medication they are referring to. Last I heard, there are only injection medicine for MS. I've also read articles and the doctor talk about a chemo treatment that was had good success in keeping patients exacerbation free for 18 plus months. Some much longer.

You probably know this already but just some thoughts.

Dave

well at 7:30 am the test started in comes a doctor who says ok ready for this dye?

dye what dye? next thing i know he shoots this in my IV wow what a nice fast hot rush. 20 minutes latter i complain i got a bad headache. he says thats good?

now we will put you in this machine to start the scan. ok if any one has been in one of these. i felt like he just placed me in a long white coffin. then he said lets get er done.. im still complaining about the headache now i get to hear bang bang bang noise. its the machine. now my head is realy pounding. one hour latter im out of that machine. this realy nice nurse shoots something into my IV half hour latter headache is going away. then i get a nice hot turkey over mashed taters and gravy.mmmmmmmm good. i asked for coffee she said no way. it will bring on another headache. so ice cold milk.

now i have to say that place treat vets like there number one. i went by a vet bus. from Lasalle IL but when i went to leave i got a check for $40 travel expense?

now the wait for the results to be sent for possible connection of the injury and MS

Good show. Sounds like you got the type of treatment I perdicted. They are good people at the VA.