IGNORED

Installing a radiator cover, HELP

YamaQman and I are trying to install this radiator grill on his 2001 RSV. It did not come with instructions and we are at a loss as to whether the radiator needs to be removed to complete installation. Does anyone have experience with this grill? It was purchased on ebay from autotrimdirect. Not sure how long it will take to get an answer from them.

I cannot say for certain about that specific grill, but it may mount similarly to the chrome grill I put on mine. The radiator does not need to be removed or disconnected at all. Mine had a big u shaped hole on the top that just slid around the top center mount. Then the top side bolts near the air filters and the bottom side bolts needed to be removed. The top tabs on the grill need to be bent or twisted sideways a bit to match the angle of the top of the radiator. The top bolts go back in fine, but the bottom bolts can be a super bugger! On my grill those holes did not align perfectly with the bolt holes and took a lot of finagling and prying to finally get the bolts in. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

That is the same grill I have on mine. The radiator does not need to come out. Remove the two lower radiator retaining bolts. One on each side. Except for the hoses ugh the radiator can now be lowered enough the remove the rubber grommet at the top center post. The top of the grill fits in the grommet. The bottom slides in on each side of the radiator. Push the radiator back up into the grommet and reinstall the lower bolts.

Two notes. One; I didn't loosen or remove my radiator hoses as suggested. It took some force but there was just enough movement for me to push the radiator low enough to get the grill in the top grommet. Two; I felt like the grill would rattle against the radiator at the top corners so I glued a small piece of rubber to the grill at each corner.

Mike

WE FINALLY GOT IT DONE.

I cannot say for certain about that specific grill, but it may mount similarly to the chrome grill I put on mine. The radiator does not need to be removed or disconnected at all. Mine had a big u shaped hole on the top that just slid around the top center mount. Then the top side bolts near the air filters and the bottom side bolts needed to be removed. The top tabs on the grill need to be bent or twisted sideways a bit to match the angle of the top of the radiator. The top bolts go back in fine, but the bottom bolts can be a super bugger! On my grill those holes did not align perfectly with the bolt holes and took a lot of finagling and prying to finally get the bolts in. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanx for your input Goose. The two grills are similar, however, the hole on top of this one is closed therefore, it had to be slid between the rubber grommet and the nipple at the top of the radiator, as referenced by MikeWa. We had to do the same finagling and prying on the bottom bolts to get them to seat correctly.

Thanx MikeWa. YamaQman's grill is exactly like the one you described. After removing the bottom two bolts, we used a large flathead screwdriver to separate the top nipple on the radiator from the rubber grommet holding it, just enough to permit the grill to slide over the nipple. It would have been a good idea to go back and insert a couple pieces of rubber to reduce shock and rattle, although it feels pretty secure right now.

I am just glad we did not have to remove radiator hoses and grills. Those type of projects are best reserved for rainy days or days when the roads are salted-n-slushy--not 67 degree November days like today. Thanx also for the phone call, mm482. This is still the best site on the Internet.

BTW, SilvrT, duct tape was "warming up in the bullpen".

Thanx again,

Jerry

Put 1 on my 06 RSV this past Sat. I think it is a show chrome brand,the inst.these other guys have given you are correct. The raditor does not have to be loosend,but bending of grill was a must on mine. Its a little scary to go to bending on a new chrome piece trying to get it to fit ,but after you get mad enough you probably wont mind either!!!!!! GOOD LUCK.

The Wagner grill was soooo much easier to install........:whistling:

I agree completely, however, YamaQman wanted to go Chrome and it does look good on his 2001 RSV. For me, the Wagner product is top shelf, looks good on MyPalomino and was a much easier install.

Jerry

• 10 months later...
I just received a Wagner grill. It attaches with cable ties. Does anyone have some miles on this install and can you tell me if you are still satisfied with it now that you have written for a while?

2 years and 15000 miles and no problems. others have had it a lot longer.

No one has problems with it.