Took my VR out for a ride today and noted that the fuel gauge, which had been down to 4 bars yesterday, was now showing full. In fact there was a bar where the "Full" usually resides. I had it up to 200 km (about 125 miles) with no change, then as I took a fairly sharp right hander at an intersection, it dropped down to 5 bars and the "Full" reappeared. Once I straightened up, it went back to about 6 bars. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this (Besides some prohibitively expensive part needing replacement.)?

Oh yeah, also...I've not had previous experience with a VR before and do't know anyone with one around here. So...on deceleration, when it gets down to around 2,000 r.p.m., there's a sound coming from under the "Gas tank" that sounds like...well...slapping, popping. I know that's not the best description, but for now, it's all I have. It may be perfectly normal, but I've never had that particular sound on any bike I've owned before.

And finally (Don't newbies get annoying after a while?), when I start it up (Hot or cold) the motor spins a couple of revs then seems to "hang" for a split second then starts. Again, does that sound normal? I'm really going to have to find someone with a MKII to do some comparing.

Took my VR out for a ride today and noted that the fuel gauge, which had been down to 4 bars yesterday, was now showing full. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this (Besides some prohibitively expensive part needing replacement.)?

And finally (Don't newbies get annoying after a while?), when I start it up (Hot or cold) the motor spins a couple of revs then seems to "hang" for a split second then starts. Again, does that sound normal? I'm really going to have to find someone with a MKII to do some comparing.

Cracked solder joints on the CMS, usually where it plugs into the wiring harness.

Re-soldering usually fixes it right up. Info should be in 1st gen tech library.

Many of us, replaced the main power cables (power to starter & ground to battery), with 4 gauge wires. I just did my 86 last weekend.

Thanks Rocket. Guess I'll be digging around in there and doing some soldering. Thanks also for the power cable hint. I was, in fact, getting ready to do that on my Triumph as the Hinckley boys saw fit to put minimum gauge wire there as well, causing occasional problems. I suppose I'd better buy extra wire, ends, etc. Aren't older bikes fun?

Your problem can also be your float in the fuel tank along with the sensor, or rheostat that the float operates. It's located on the top of the tank, and should be removed and checked. The rheostat winding is under the metal cover once you fwt the unit off of the tank. They sometimes get dirty, and also sometimes warp as well. There is a little amount of adjusting you can do for the tension that the slider, operated by the float, has.

Thanks guys...that gives me a few more options to look at.

Marcarl, I'm down in the Niagara Peninsula...Welland as a matter of fact. Brantford is about an hour away. Less if I'm on my Triumph and the roads are lightly patrolled....oops...did I just say that out loud?

I finally had time to get out to the garage and check out my fuel gauge problem. I wanted to check that float and sensor on the gas tank first. Slight problem...how do you get the seat off? I couldn't find it in the owner's manual nor in the service manual. Am I missing something really obvious and simple (Wouldn't be the first time!)?

Oh Marcarl...I believe that it is a Royale since it has the Royale badging and C.L.A.S.S.

Edited by darthandy
Remembered something

There are two Bolts holding the Seat in Place. These are 12 mm standard Head and are behind the small Covers just above the Side Bags. You most likely need to undo the Side Bag Lids to get the Wrench with an Extension on the Bolts.

Thanks, Squeeze. Wow...is Germany still your location? That is one long distance reply!