IGNORED

Close Encounters

Brake Pad

Whats the Closest Encounter, you ever had with wild life.

tell your story...

Back in 1986 I was riding with a club from Plattsburgh NY, called the Royal Knights. we were touring through the mountains, and came to a stop under some nice cover casting trees. to relax. from the back of the group, you can here, OH SH**!!!

a few screams, OH Hell's !!!, and shot it, ring out. I'm standing their eating a half a sandwich, when I finally see it. and I slowly walk to the otherside of the bike. Of course it stops, and puts its paw on my seat. (3 or 4 year old Male Brown Bear) while sniffing my sandwich.. ( I'm thinking no Friggin way I'm giving up my lunch.. so I keep eating. one of the ladies, walks up behind me a sprays it in the face with mace.

The bear takes off running, everyone still, running around there bikes, as it darts our across the main road, and into a large field..

so Linda asks, you wheren't giving up your sandwich were you? Noop.

When I lived in Maine we had a camp that was about 18 miles off the hard road... we used to run a little Kawasaki 100 from the camp to the hard road and back for time... One afternoon, I was on my way out from the camp and rounded a corner and had to lock it up because there was a big cow moose standing in the middle of the camp road. Not my first time meeting one of these (saw them many times while hunting) but the first time that I met one this way. Just sat there idling and hoping that I did not make her or any others who I did not see mad. Finally she wandered off and I finished the run; with the worst time on record :)

I was 16 or 17 had a Honda 125 Elsenore and me and a buddy, he on his RM125 were hauling butt down a logging road high in the Mission Mountains of NW Montana, when I rounded a sharp corner in the road, here stands one of the bigest Elk I had ever seen, locked that puppy up and just sat there looking at each other. another time my mom was on her Honda 80 (step through) not sure of the year, and she was behind me and my Dad, well we had stoped to waight on her and she didn`t come so we turned around and went back up the road, there she was, sitting in the middle of the road, bike laying on its side, moma bear on one side of the raod and 2 babies on the other...she couldn`t move, she just sat there crying... Dad scared the bear and hurried in to save her, lucky she didn`t get the bad end of that bear...

on the way into work one morning had a deer hit the harbor freight trailer I was doing about 70 when I saw out of the corner of my eye something moving to quick to react all I did is hold on and all turned out well had fur all down the wooden sides.

another time I had a large white owl fly out in front of me on the highway and my anntenna got his attention ever since then every time I ride the blonde past him I get an evil look from the same white owl.

Jeff

another time I had a large white owl fly out in front of me on the highway and my anntenna got his attention ever since then every time I ride the blonde past him I get an evil look from the same white owl.

Jeff

At least it wasn't a large Black Owl. As it seems, he has gone AWOL. I got the same look, when I didn't have the tools, for changing out fork seals, at PIP.

A few years back I was riding to work, 3rd shift, in the dark. The road had a quick dip in it and as I topped the rise and started down into the dip my headlight hit a very large whitetail buck and about 8 or 9 of his discussion mates standing in the middle of the road. I grabbed clutch and brake and by the time I got stopped I was sitting right in the middle of them. I don't know who was more startled, me or them, because it took them a couple of seconds before they started to scatter to the woods. It took me a while to gather myself to be able to get going again.

When I lived down in Fl, I was riding the road out around Lake Okeechoobee, and had a 10 to 12 gotar cross 20 yards in front of me. :scared: Fortunately I was only going about 45 mph and had plenty of time to stop. The big sucker lifted his head up like a lizard and then hauled azz across the road and into a canal. They do move fast on land!

Don

We smacked a deer last year on the way home from MD with the then new '09 and did 6K of damage on a bike we had for exactly 3 days/500 miles. Also, on the way down to Asheville a few years ago we were rounding a curve on the Blue Ridge Parkway when a black bear comes strolling down the parkway, right in front of member Mother. Thought for sure he was gonna hit it, he was close enough to pet it while going by, and thought I was going to have to crash full speed into it to either kill it or drive it off...

My next big expense will be an electric deer horn, the Hornet V-120, ca $70 the last I looked and $20 for harness. 120dB wave carry length18,000-21,000 Hz; effective range, 800 ft; operating voltage range, 8-16 VDC, with a current consumption of 10mA (max) at 12 VDC. www.safehomeproducts.com/SHP2/sc/asp_redirector.asp?rdirurl=/shp2/sc/shopexd (at least that was the link when I looked at it on 6/10/06).

In Ohio on my first 86 VR I drove THROUGH a deer, and stayed up. LOTS of brown stuff on right luggage rack; new front plastic, headlight (cut her throat, a rather small young deer), .... and a new radiator. Then I rode some more. In W Co E of Paonia a young deer jumped on my front tire, and that time I stayed down. I was doing about 20 MPH and had no warning. For a young deer these VRs can drive through them; for a buck, .,.. if time and turning permits, .... you can RUN!

Yep it's time to spend $100 next spring. In CO they are seldom on the road in the winter and in winter I ride down and not too high up.

Stay safe all!

JackZ

aka

DePreach:thumbsup:

Whats the Closest Encounter, you ever had with wild life.

tell your story...

It was way back in 1978, October 1st about 9 am, when I climbed out of bed and looked into the bathroom mirror for the first time of my married life......:scared:

Once, while remodeling a garage for a customer, I had just knocked down an old block wall and saw something out of the corner of my eye, jumping toward me through the dust! Instinctively I swung my hammer while shrieking like a little girl. Upon nailing it (lucky strike) I ran for all I was worth out of that garage and into the sunlight were my customer's family had just pulled up! Yhea, I showed that chipmunk who was boss!!

Chipmunk actually was seen running in the opposite direction! Took a few moments of the terror to settle and the brain to process the images!!

Almost a year ago, a deer strolled into and rocketed out of my way so fast that I also didn't even react physically. There was one I saw cross the road in front of him & didn't think there might be another one. He came from behind some bushes into my lane while I was doing about 35mph and he accelerated like a rocket when he saw how close I was. At the time it jumped out of my way, it must have been a couple of inches in front of me. I truly don't know how I missed him. I could have reached out & touched him. I didn't even have time to feel fear. I felt extremely fortunate.

Good question - I have had a few close calls over my 47 years of riding, including deer, but no direct hits (also had a few very mean looking dogs chase me). My closest encounter was actually on my snowmobile when I came around a sharp corner on a bush trail and almost ran into a moose who was as startled as I was. Often wondered how I should react if, for example, I couldn't avoid hitting something on the bike, even a coon or dog. I assume the best riding strategy if you think you can't avoid an animal is to let off the gas and proceed straight ahead. Any comments on this??

SKUNK - middle of my lane - tail up legs spread .....

Second gear my be an issue in the 1st gens it makes a great get-away gear !

The car behind me took the full blast !!

So bad they stopped and got out of the car a little way down the road, I went back to check on them and the smell was so bad the driver said she was going to park it on the side of the road and let her husband deal with it. Hope he really loves her ....

Steve