IGNORED

Clutch noise?

ffjoe

I've got 34000 miles on my 2004 midnight and I just noticed a new noise coming from the left side of the engine when at idle. Almost like a scraping or squeaking a few times a second but lessens when the clutch is pulled in or in neutral. Could it be the clutch wearing out or maybe just needs adjustment? When switching from neutral into first it grabs a little but always has. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hey Joe,

Usually, when I talk about something on my bike I describe the location as if I was sitting on the bike in the "riding position". If the noise you are hearing is on the left side, then it is not the clutch. The Clutch Cover is located on the right side of the engine next to the water pump. As far as the "grabbing clutch" upon release goes, if you haven't changed your clutch fluid in a while and it looks like Coke, then a clutch fluid change might be the trick to smooth out that grabby clutch. If you could share a bit more info about the location of the noise, does it happen when the engine is warm, cold? This might give us an idea of which direction to guide you. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks for the response. I also refer to left-right from seated position. It was a while since I posted the problem to when I got to ride again but when I did the other day I wasn't getting the noise anymore. My clutch fluid is getting darker than the brake fluid so I'll change that out and hope it takes care of that.

Old, contaminated brake fluid will give your brakes a spongy feel and your clutch will feel inconsistent on release. I change my brake and clutch fluid every two years. I simply pump the old fluid out while pouring new in.

You can buy fancy tools for this job or do it old-school . . . Route a plastic or rubber hose from the air bleed screw to a can or bottle. The hose should fit snug on the air bleed screw. Pump the handle and hold, open the air bleed screw and release the fluid. Close the air bleed screw. Add new fluid before the master sucks air. Repeat until fresh fluid is coming out the hose. Done

I've got 34000 miles on my 2004 midnight and I just noticed a new noise coming from the left side of the engine when at idle. Almost like a scraping or squeaking a few times a second but lessens when the clutch is pulled in or in neutral. Could it be the clutch wearing out or maybe just needs adjustment? When switching from neutral into first it grabs a little but always has. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have noticed this noise on a couple of different bikes. The 1200 engine and now the 1300 engine made this 'marbles in a pan' noise in neutral with the clutch released. Left side.

I have decided it is normal for some bikes . . . Anyone? :think: